Page 21 of 96 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Isn't Robbie Reyes, the Ghost Rider on the current team, only 18? That'd be someone else younger than most of the YAs if so
    It's kinda vague-ish, but unless Robbie's age was reiterated at a later point, he should still be 17, albeit it, pushing 18.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I definitely understand anxiety and insecurity and how the transition from teen to young adult can be tumultuous. I really don't understand using the word obsolete to describe that experience or in regards to a person. People can't be obsolete, we aren't flip phones. Also Gillen's YA run already pretty well dealt with the theme of that particular coming of age story, having them revisit the theme feels a bit regressive.
    Well, she said the book is about the fear of becoming obsolete, not that they are obsolete or even that that mindset is correct. For all we know, the book might be about them overcoming that fear and coming out of the situation as happier, healthier people. I doubt the writer would throw that existential drama on them and end the story on a negative note for the characters if she is a fan of both of them. And of course people can't literally be obsolete, which is why it's likely she was using that word as a metaphor. The book is about a robot afraid of becoming obsolete because there might be better robot models out there, and then we have two human boys who can maybe relate to what he is going through in their own human way. Maybe because they feel they're not as good as they can be, maybe because they feel there are other young heroes out there doing a much better job than them. I mean, it's not out of the realms of possibility that two young heroes with a history of insecurity and social anxiety would feel that way. And I don't agree that Gillen's story made no room for this other story to exist, because I don't even think those two are similar stories in the first place. Billy and Teddy were not in the same place where they are now back when Gillen was writing them. They were two kids, who only ever knew how to be Young Avengers, still sleeping on separate rooms on the comfort of Billy's parents' house. Now they have experienced being adult Avengers, being officially employed by the government, and they are living by themselves for the first time, getting a taste of what married life could look like. It's a very different situation, and one that hasn't been touched upon yet, because no one bothered to use them again after New Avengers. Tini is doing that, and I'm so glad for that. Plus, Gillen himself retweeted the news about this book and seems to be pretty excited about it, so if even he thinks that there is room for this book to co-exist alongside his YA run, I don't see why we shouldn't give it a chance.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-30-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Hawkeye series with/about Kate coming on Disney+!
    https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/haw...us-1203183398/

"Variety has learned from sources that Disney’s upcoming streaming service is officially developing a limited series based on the archery ace Marvel character with Renner attached to star. The project is said to be an adventure series in which Clint Barton, a.k.a. Hawkeye, will pass the torch to Kate Bishop."

IIRC Variety was the first one to announce the Loki and Wanda/Vision shows, so... Seems pretty real!

This is exciting! Feige has guaranteed that the Disney+ streaming shows will definitely tie into the MCU and I think Marvel is trying something new and different moving forward.

All of the shows have the potential to introduce one of the YAs. Scarlet Witch + Vision, Loki, Winter Soldier + Falcon, with Hawkeye and the rumoured Nick Fury (and Feige noting there are plans to expand on the Mar-Vell's history). The Young Avengers could potentially be what the Defenders could have been - allowing characters to develop both on the small and big screen. They could flesh out their characters over small seasons and tell more cinematic stories through movies. Very exciting! (if it does happen lol)

Yeah. Wiccan and Speed in V&SW, Patriot (who would use the civilian name Rayshaun Lucas) in WSF, and Kate in Hawkeye?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yeah. Wiccan and Speed in V&SW, Patriot (who would use the civilian name Rayshaun Lucas) in WSF, and Kate in Hawkeye?
    spoilers:
    Exactly, with Cassie on the way too, its entirely possible for the Young Avengers to be setup on these shows and eventually appear on the big screen. Time travel will seemingly play a part in Endgame as well, which can tie in nicely to Kang and Iron Lad. These streaming shows are centering on characters in the middle or near the end of their story cycles (SW, Hawkeye, Fury) as opposed to "newer" characters (BP, Strange, Captain Marvel) and it seems fit that they will setup their legacies.
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Seeing Kate is exciting, I really like her. And MCU Hawkeye has been established as having a "fatherly" type of dynamic with younger people, so it'll be interesting to see how his dynamic with her differs from the comics?

Incredible Member

I imagine after losing his family Clint doesn't want to see them follow in the business.

I can't come up with a show to introduce Hulkling, maybe a tv show about the Skrulls or Genis Vell.

Genis can't exist because MCU Mar-Vell was an elderly woman in the 90s. Hulkling at least isn't called Vell, he only has human and Skrull names, so he can just have a different Dad. Maybe a show called Meet The Skrulls. It wouldn't be based on the current mini-series, but instead would actually start on the Skrull homeworld. Teddy's mother flees the planet with a friend because she's pregnant by a Kree soldier she slept with during a Kree invasion. Arriving on Earth, she give birth, but is killed (couldn't use her shapeshifting powers until she gave birth). The friend than takes on the identity of Ms Altman... Teddy's "Mom". 16 years later, Teddy discovers his heritage, and becomes a superhero. None of that's too far off from what happened in the comics, is it? But it eliminates Mar-Vell from his origin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Genis can't exist because MCU Mar-Vell was an elderly woman in the 90s. Hulkling at least isn't called Vell, he only has human and Skrull names, so he can just have a different Dad. Maybe a show called Meet The Skrulls. It wouldn't be based on the current mini-series, but instead would actually start on the Skrull homeworld. Teddy's mother flees the planet with a friend because she's pregnant by a Kree soldier she slept with during a Kree invasion. Arriving on Earth, she give birth, but is killed (couldn't use her shapeshifting powers until she gave birth). The friend than takes on the identity of Ms Altman... Teddy's "Mom". 16 years later, Teddy discovers his heritage, and becomes a superhero. None of that's too far off from what happened in the comics, is it? But it eliminates Mar-Vell from his origin.
    Yeah, also the aspect of him being the son of a Kree Warrior and Skrull Royalty. It's really dumbing down his origin.

I imagine there being a very strong intent to introduce Kamala in Captain Marvel, but WHO KNOWS --- maybe we'll see a Jersey Pakistani girl in End Game, oooh-ing and awwww-ing at the sight of ol' Sparkle Fists herself.

And THEN in the sequel to Cap's solo flick, we may be backtracking to cover all the happenings Carol's been up to since vacating Earth, and WHO KNOWS -- maybe Doc Lawson had a baby with a Skrull that winds up being Teddy? Or maybe Teddy is an entirely separate Skrull/Kree hybrid (or maybe they drop the hybrid, I dunno, its the MCU) but I could certainly see them legitimizing an introduction/wink/nod to Teddy in the cosmic escapades of Miss Danvers.

Gawd I miss the YA.

Yeah MCU Mar-Vell could still be Teddy's mom if they wanted to do that. There are plenty of "comic-book shenanigans" that they could use to explain his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Hawkeye series with/about Kate coming on Disney+!
    https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/haw...us-1203183398/

"Variety has learned from sources that Disney’s upcoming streaming service is officially developing a limited series based on the archery ace Marvel character with Renner attached to star. The project is said to be an adventure series in which Clint Barton, a.k.a. Hawkeye, will pass the torch to Kate Bishop."

IIRC Variety was the first one to announce the Loki and Wanda/Vision shows, so... Seems pretty real!
    Yes, they were! There were already rumors about this production, but Variety reporting it makes it sooo much more real. I'm surprised they straight-up name-dropped Kate, but also really glad about the confirmation, and OH SO GLAD we can finally bury that godawful theory that Lila Barton is going to be the next Hawkeye in the MCU. THE REAL HAWKEYE IS COMING, Y'ALL! Everything is lining up for the Young Avengers to make their debut in a few years. MY BODY IS SO READY!

Aw heeeell no. If they ain't using Eli, I prefer they don't use any Patriot at all, tbh. Having Rayshaun there to solely replace Eli would feel so wrong to me. I have nothing against Shaun, really, but it'll be so hard for me to care for him knowing he is there for no reason other than ''they couldn't use Eli''. It'd feel like he would always be on the shadow of another character YA fans care more about. If they absolutely need a star-spangled themed character for the team, they can use America Chavez. She's been a part of the team in the comics and has strong ties to one of the founding members anyway. I take that over a ''discount Patriot''.

Genis CAN exist in the MCU if they reveal Mar-Vell already had a kid in the 90s. He'd be an older man today and, like I suggested before, they could make him Teddy's dad in that universe. His mom would remain the same. That way they can keep the Vell family intact in a way, and Hulkling's origins as close as possible to the original. I could live with that.

It's weird because everything feels like it could be perfect setup for YA but at the same time, I don't know... Like

- Loki show could give us young Loki

- Wanda/Vision could give us Billy and Tommy

- Hawkeye is confirmed to have Kate

The obvious problems(for me?), are, I guess...

- The synopsys for the Loki show it's about it being set on the past. Might as well just be them wanting to tell more Loki stories with Tom Hiddleston.

- Billy and Tommy being born now doesn't align with Kate and Cassie already existing. I don't see them adapting the way it does in the comics.

- Bucky/Falcon doesn't really set up anything, I feel like saying Patriot is a stretch considering that there are issues with Eli, Digifiend is the only person who knows this Rashaun guy exists, and Bucky/Sam don't really have anything to do with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It's weird because everything feels like it could be perfect setup for YA but at the same time, I don't know... Like

- Loki show could give us young Loki

- Wanda/Vision could give us Billy and Tommy

- Hawkeye is confirmed to have Kate

The obvious problems(for me?), are, I guess...

- The synopsys for the Loki show it's about it being set on the past. Might as well just be them wanting to tell more Loki stories with Tom Hiddleston.

- Billy and Tommy being born now doesn't align with Kate and Cassie already existing. I don't see them adapting the way it does in the comics.

- Bucky/Falcon doesn't really set up anything, I feel like saying Patriot is a stretch considering that there are issues with Eli, Digifiend is the only person who knows this Rashaun guy exists, and Bucky/Sam don't really have anything to do with him.
    Yeah, I'm disappointed that the Loki show so far doesn't seem to show much promise of Kid Loki, but I don't think that is harmful to the Young Avengers in the bigger picture. It's not like the team needs Kid Loki to exist, let's be honest. They're probably gonna draw much more inspiration from Heinberg's run than Gillen's, and I'm ok with that. I mean, if you're gonna tell a story, might as well start from the beginning.

Billy and Tommy are the most problematic ones indeed, but yeah, I think we're just gonna have to accept the fact that they are going to be changed in some significant ways to work in the MCU. I'm ok with that as long as they can keep the core of what makes them who they are, and that includes some sort of connection to Wanda. My biggest suggestion right now is that they could be actual biological twins who were born into the Maximoff family in Sokovia (maybe distant cousins of Wanda), were separated at birth and then adopted by two completely different american families. Assuming they are really going to make Wanda a Scarlet WITCH in her series, we could find out there is more to her origin than just ''the Infinity Stone gave her powers''. Maybe the Maximoff family has some sort of mystical lineage (like it's been explained in recent comics) that also affected Billy and Tommy. I feel like this is probably the most realistic and grounded way they can adapt Wiccan and Speed with their powers while creating a family connection to Wanda. I also have this headcanon about how Mephisto could be their biological dad in the MCU, but that's just me going a little crazy and wanting a little drama.

And I agree that Bucky/Falcon doesn't really set up Patriot, but we have to remember we almost had Patriot in Black Panther. Like, that was a legit consideration at one point. So that means Patriot IS on Marvel Studios' radar, for what it's worth. How they might adapt this character, though, I have no idea. I still cling onto the hope that they will be able to use Eli eventually.