Page 40 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 586 to 600 of 1102
  1. #586
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    We always see Billy without Teddy though. Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme, the Battle of the Atom X-Men, various team ups with other mystic types. Even the recent War Scrolls story was more about Billy while Teddy just sat on the couch at home

    Teddy's the one you almost never see without Billy

  2. #587
    Cadaver Sniffing Dog Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    I am just realizing how often I confuse Billy, and Teddy's names. For a moment I could have sworn that Billy was Hulkling.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Die - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

  3. #588
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    I usually see people confuse Teddy and Tommy's names

  4. #589
    Cadaver Sniffing Dog Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    It's probably just confusion caused by an excellent adventure. Visually they're both fairly distinct so I guess I just call them by how I see them.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Die - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

  5. #590
    Benefactor / Malefactor H-E-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    I never quite thought about how many of the YA go by names that end in "y"/"ie". Billy, Teddy, Tommy, Cassie... we're lucky that Kate doesn't go by Katie.

  6. #591
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,338

    Default

    Jeremy Whitley did a reading marathon for the Young Avengers and posted a Twitter thread about it:

    https://twitter.com/jrome58/status/1136995402442563584

    Funnily enough, his last tweet was about Jonas and if someone ever tried to bring him back, which we were just discussing. I love how Whitley is just... like us when it comes to discussing comics, you know? I always enjoy reading his thoughts on that kind of stuff. And it's nice to see someone who actually works for Marvel being invested on the team again. Fingers crossed this inspires him to pitch a new YA book for Marvel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    You know I wonder who's more powerful, Franklin Richard's or Billy, Franklin has more feats but that's only because Billy is more underused. Their powers seem very similar in nature though.
    Like you said, Franklin has had more opportunities to showcase his powers, so it's easier for people to see him as the most powerful one, but yeah, after Gillen's Young Avengers, I do believe they are pretty much on the same level.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Congrats, Wiccan fans. Those teasers are for a new team book.


    Commiserations to fans of the rest of the team, as this probably rules out a YA revival for a while.
    Ugh, I am not a fan of the idea of Billy joining an X-Force/Savage Avengers kind of group. I don't even think we need this kind of group right now considering we just got SA. Hopefully the teaser is just being exaggerated and the team will have a purpose that's not ''look how edgy and violent we are!!''.

    And hopefully that doesn't rule out YA. Several characters appear in more than one book simultaneously, I'd say it's only fair for Billy to do some double duty after being limboed for 2 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I never quite thought about how many of the YA go by names that end in "y"/"ie". Billy, Teddy, Tommy, Cassie... we're lucky that Kate doesn't go by Katie.
    I've always liked how all of the OG members (except for Jonas) went by shorts of their full names: Nathaniel, Elijah, William, Theodore, Katherine, Cassandra, Thomas...
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 06-07-2019 at 10:16 PM.

  7. #592
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,646

    Default

    Jonas is still a nickname. His real name was just Vision, same as the original Vision.

    As for Kate, she doesn't choose to go by Katie, but Clint DOES call her that.

    Whitley does want to write Young Avengers. Though he does list a few other characters.
    https://www.newsarama.com/45464-jere...rinceless.html

  8. #593
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,338

    Default

    Interesting. It definitely sounds like he's doing his homework. I hope he can convince Marvel it's time for a relaunch. He also posted this:

    https://twitter.com/jrome58/status/1136478206503112704

    Which I wanted to point out because the second pic is very interesting. It's a pitch for the original idea Allan had for the team, which included a female version of Teddy. It says that female Teddy was also going to be called Hulkling in the beginning, but then change her name to Chimera. I knew Chimera was her name, but I had no idea she would start off as Hulkling. That is interesting because apparently it would happen at the same time Billy changed his name from Asgardian to Wiccan. So Hulkling was not supposed to be a permanent name for the character as well. I wonder why he gave up on the idea of changing the name after Teddy became male. Like, I get not wanting to use Chimera specifically since it's the name of a female mythological creature, but he could've come up with something else. I WISH he had come up with something else, 'cause now we're stuck with Hulkling and it just doesn't work anymore for Teddy, but it's probably hard to get rid of it because it's become so recognizable for the character.

    Also, Cassie's codename was going to be Titan at some point, apparently.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 06-08-2019 at 03:19 AM.

  9. #594
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,646

    Default

    Titan makes sense for a giant girl, but it's pretty obvious why they went with Stature instead. Teen Titans.

  10. #595
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Interesting. It definitely sounds like he's doing his homework. I hope he can convince Marvel it's time for a relaunch. He also posted this:

    https://twitter.com/jrome58/status/1136478206503112704

    Which I wanted to point out because the second pic is very interesting. It's a pitch for the original idea Allan had for the team, which included a female version of Teddy. It says that female Teddy was also going to be called Hulkling in the beginning, but then change her name to Chimera. I knew Chimera was her name, but I had no idea she would start off as Hulkling. That is interesting because apparently it would happen at the same time Billy changed his name from Asgardian to Wiccan. So Hulkling was not supposed to be a permanent name for the character as well. I wonder why he gave up on the idea of changing the name after Teddy became male. Like, I get not wanting to use Chimera specifically since it's the name of a female mythological creature, but he could've come up with something else. I WISH he had come up with something else, 'cause now we're stuck with Hulkling and it just doesn't work anymore for Teddy, but it's probably hard to get rid of it because it's become so recognizable for the character.

    Also, Cassie's codename was going to be Titan at some point, apparently.
    I'm glad they didn't do that. Female Teddy that later did fluid stuff would have been as problematic as when they had Xavin do it
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

  11. #596
    Spectacular Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Maybe they killed off the Kaplans and that's why Billy is in this team. Better then killing off or doing something to Teddy. *shrugs*

  12. #597
    Amazing Member Ibara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Maybe they killed off the Kaplans and that's why Billy is in this team. Better then killing off or doing something to Teddy. *shrugs*
    I hope Billy is there to balance out the temperaments of the others rather than as the "new blood" that needs help focusing his vengeance. There isn't a need to kill off any characters and I hope they don't go down that route. If something happens to Teddy that sets Billy down a darker path, I hope it allows for both of them to grow from it. Since this is possibly spinning out of WotR, maybe it has to do with Loki - I'm interested to see how the final member ties this group together, because they all have tangential ties at best.

  13. #598
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I'm glad they didn't do that. Female Teddy that later did fluid stuff would have been as problematic as when they had Xavin do it
    I disagree with the notion that Xavin's genderfluidness was problematic, and I'm not completely sure Chimera's story was going to be that similar to Xavin's. Xavin was a biologically male Skrull who identified and presented themself as both male and female. Chimera was a biologically male Skrull who only ever presented herself as female. So odds are Chimera was actually going to be a trans character, unlike Xavin. Although we don't really know what Allan's future plans were for the character, so there isn't much to go on. Either way, I'm glad they didn't do it just because it sounds like it's not the story Allan wanted to tell in the first place, as he admits himself it was convoluted and he only did it because he thought Marvel wouldn't allow him to tell the story of a regular male/male couple. So I'm glad he got to tell the story he wanted, 'cause it probably ended up being crafted with more passion and enthusiasm than a story he felt forced to tell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Maybe they killed off the Kaplans and that's why Billy is in this team. Better then killing off or doing something to Teddy. *shrugs*
    Can they just... not kill anyone? I hate the idea that someone important to Billy has to die to advance his character. And he was the one member of the Young Avengers who had the most perfect, functional and healthy family, and I've always enjoyed that the writers never felt the need to crap all over that to advance his characer. I would hope it remained like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    I hope Billy is there to balance out the temperaments of the others rather than as the "new blood" that needs help focusing his vengeance. There isn't a need to kill off any characters and I hope they don't go down that route. If something happens to Teddy that sets Billy down a darker path, I hope it allows for both of them to grow from it. Since this is possibly spinning out of WotR, maybe it has to do with Loki - I'm interested to see how the final member ties this group together, because they all have tangential ties at best.
    Yeah, I am also hoping Billy is just there to be the opposite of ''ruthless'' and create some balance. I would also like some acknowledgement about how he is one of the most powerful heroes in the MU, so someone thought of calling him up because of the whole Demiurge thing. It seems unlikely to me that Billy would have such power and no one other than the Young Avengers would be aware. Maybe Monica knows about it due to her connection to America. Maybe Daimon knows about it because he can sense magic energy.

    And that's an interesting suggestion about Loki. It could be a nice follow-up to the War Scrolls issue.

  14. #599
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,639

    Default

    America agreed to be on the Ultimates, and part of that decision was based around wanting to monitor their activities and eliminate INTERNAL threats, as well as external.
    Perhaps Billy is the America to these "No Mercy" folks. He's involved to help but also to shut it down if necessary.

    Unlikely, but we still don't know details.
    Very eager and hopeful that tomorrow gives us more than simply creative team announcement.

  15. #600
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    10,410

    Default

    Idk I'm kinda here for edgy Billy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •