Page 55 of 96 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Death's Head #1 came out today. It appears to be another 'Billy has screwed it all up' story.

Not overly keen on the aesthetic of the art - more the colouring than the actual art - but it really fits Death's Head if you've ever seen any of his classic UK stuff.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Death's Head #1 came out today. It appears to be another 'Billy has screwed it all up' story.

Not overly keen on the aesthetic of the art - more the colouring than the actual art - but it really fits Death's Head if you've ever seen any of his classic UK stuff.
    I really enjoyed the issue. I was never a big fan of Billy and Teddy specifically, but this issue made them feel more like a realistic young couple than anything I've read before -- and I think the art actually added to the overall aesthetic.

Billy doing his magic as the reason things are happening is on-point, and I look forward to DH's role becoming clearer.

-Pav, who is glad to have this mini...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

So, I just read it.

It was... Ok. I don't really know anything about Death's Head, so... It was a bit confusing. The art is fine, but a bit busy sometimes. The coloring is weird(Billy looks grey???). But I'm just kinda glad that they're back. Billy's frustrations are so relatable. It really kinda parallels to how YA fans feel("No one has seen Eli in a while" LOL). Him looking at the realities is cool, some nice and interesting panels there. Teddy throwing the mattress was LOL. Love Billy's nails.

Well at least they're allowed to say Eli's name again.

Although why couldn't Billy and Teddy try calling Roberto, Ava, Doreen, Power Man, Toni Ho, etc?

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Death's Head #1 was alright, I guess. I feel like it's a bit regressive, and a plot that we've already seen. Probably doesn't help that I don't care about Death's Head at all. I don't like that the artist gave Billy an upside down crucifix earring, I don't know that a Jewish person would wear one, even for Goth purposes.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Death's Head #1 was alright, I guess. I feel like it's a bit regressive, and a plot that we've already seen. Probably doesn't help that I don't care about Death's Head at all. I don't like that the artist gave Billy an upside down crucifix earring, I don't know that a Jewish person would wear one, even for Goth purposes.
    Yeah, the artist just wants to make Billy super cool edgy Hot Topic goth and it doesnt really work.

I am intrigued by the story though. Teen Death's Head could be interesting.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

Although why couldn't Billy and Teddy try calling Roberto, Ava, Doreen, Power Man, Toni Ho, etc?
    Daughters of Liberty in Captain America could explain Toni and Ava. Roberto might still be dead after War of the Realms: Uncanny X-Men. Power Man could be busy with the Champions. Squirrel Girl though? Only excuse I can think of for her is that she had some college work due in tomorrow! She should've been available, she's not had a team since the U.S.Avengers broke up.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

spoilers:
    Teen Death's Head was in a lot of those ternate universes with the Young Avengers that Billy was looking up. Is he supposed to join them? Seems kinda random to keep him under the bed he shares with Teddy

Or did Billy finally find a new body for Jonas?
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Saying hsi name her never been an issue. He was mention in the last volume, Sam Wilson's book and one of the Secret Empire side books.

SHOWING him has.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Saying hsi name her never been an issue. He was mention in the last volume, Sam Wilson's book and one of the Secret Empire side books.

SHOWING him has.
    I mean, that's why I don't think the situation with Eli is a legal one like people like to speculate. If there was a legal roadblock to use of Eli, we'd be seeing problems with reprints of older material and problems with mentions of Eli on top of full appearances.

SHOWING him has.
    They didn't say his name in Secret Empire though. They just mentioned that there used to be another Patriot, and that Rayshaun e-mailed him to let him know he was taking the name

Yeah, Sam pointed out the name was taken, but Rayshaun said he knew and had already got permission to take up the mantle.

SHOWING him has.
    Didn't Gillen's YA only show an empty shell Patriot suit? No mention of "Eli Bradley", only of Patriot being impersonated. The Secret Empire mention WAS in Sam's book - Captain America Sam Wilson #24.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-01-2019 at 03:53 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Death's Head was not my jam.
    Liked:
    The Captions. "son of a witch" actually made me chuckle.
    Billy's identity issues, specific to the Avenger mantle.

DISliked:
    Teddy nerfed. Repeatedly. This guy has gotten REALLY creative with his shifting lately and here he is using bar stools and mattresses?
    Billy asking Teddy to essentially stay out of the way because he needs to concentrate? This guy eats bullets and spits 'em out but....sure.
    Billy's super accessorized edge lord aesthetic & those ridiculous stiletto nails.

Curious about:
    Billy's angst over Tommy
    Twitter proposed that perhaps this story isn't in the 616 Universe. I'm getting hairline fractures in my fingers from crossing them as hard as I am.

I'm a little confused are Billy and Tommy having issues? If so hopefully Tommy will suprise and pop up so we can get an explanation on this. Their relationship is far to underdeveloped as it is. Who knows maybe the Tommy thing will lead into Strikeforce somehow.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I LOVED DEATH'S HEAD #1!!! Thought it was a really strong first issue and even though I only read it for Billy and Teddy, I definitely stayed for DH himself. Never read anything about the character before, but I like him here. I liked the art. Some panels were kinda off, but I thought most of it was cool. And I actually think this kind of art works better in B&W. Maybe it's the manga aesthetic. My thoughts on the story:

spoilers:
    - I was surprised to see Yondu there at the beginning. My guess is that he's probably the antagonist of the story, as it looks like DH will probably seek revenge for what he did to him.

- YOUNG AVENGERS REFERENCES! Eli being mentioned by name and a Jonas reference too (the part where Billy says DH is not the first robot from the future they've met)! Keep those YA references coming, Tini! Better yet, make this a stealth Young Avengers reunion by the end of it.

- Billy's struggles here were pretty interesting. The feeling that maybe he's being left behind and that he just wants to be an Avenger again... I liked that. And I feel like maybe this will tie into Strikeforce? Like, maybe that is the opportunity for him to feel like he is a needed and wanted superhero again? I could see that happening.

- Also, I don't know if it was intentional, but it definitely felt like something went down between Billy and Tommy. Billy seemed to get really mad when Teddy mentioned him and then Teddy said he was AGAINST calling Tommy for help, like, why would he be AGAINST that idea? I hope there's some explanation for this, otherwise it was a strange way to portray Billy reacting to Tommy.

- I freaking L O V E D the reference to Gillen's Young Avengers when Billy went all ''allpossiblerealities'' mode. I know that we, as readers, are supposed to think that doing that is NOT a good thing (and Billy even brings up how he shouldn't be doing it in the first place), but I just can't help but love the entire of concept of, to quote Billy himself, ''googling yourself across time and space''. It's just such a cool concept to me, not to mention that it makes for some cool panels.

- Speaking of those panels, we had some interesting ideas thrown in there. I wonder if any of them are gonna come true? After all, Jim Zub did say that 2020 was going to be a good year for Marvel's young heroes. Maybe we had some foreshadowing there. Speaking of foreshadowing, it CAN'T be a coincidence that Death's Head was tagging along Billy and Teddy in ALL superhero teams they were a part of, can it? I wonder if Tini is maybe teasing that this mini isn't the last that we're gonna see of the three of them together. Again, maybe this is a setup for Strikeforce. Oh, and we saw some cute stuff too. Billy and Teddy kissing with rings, their kid from the Sorcerers Supreme AU, the YA reuniting.

- My heart DROPPED on that ''bang'' moment. I legitimately thought for a minute that DH had killed Teddy and the book would take a dark turn. It did take a turn at the end anyway, and I guess we shouldn't be too surprised due to the solicits already teasing it, but I was still a little bit shocked. I mean, Billy keeping a rad looking robot stashed under their bed is all kinds of creepy and hilarious. That made me wonder, though, was the robot already there all along or did Billy only conjure him up accidentally when he was doing his multiverse googling thing? I'm kinda rooting for the first option, just because I think it would be a more interesting twist if Billy had ulterior motives to have that robot there.
    end of spoilers

Anyway, it was a damn good read and I'm feeling blessed by the gay gods for keeping me fed with that good content! It's gonna be so good having a Billy/Teddy story to look forward to the next three months, and then more months of Billy stories with Strikeforce!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Love Billy's nails.
    YASSSSSSSSSS HE WAS WORKING THEM NAILS! I know he's probably not gonna wear those fake nails all the time, but I really want Billy with nail polish to be a thing from now on.

I like to think Eli being name-dropped is a beautiful prelude to the glorious reunion we're getting on Marvel Comics #1000.

And I guess the writer kinda just wanted to bring up the characters they were the closest to, AKA the Young Avengers? I mean, if they were to bring up everyone they've been affiliated with and why they couldn't be there, that's a lot of excuses to come up with. But speaking of Toni Ho, we did see a purple-haired lady while Billy was doing his multiverse thing. Was that supposed to be her? I do like the idea of Billy and Teddy keeping in touch with her. I still vote for her to replace Nate as the YA's Iron Person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I don't like that the artist gave Billy an upside down crucifix earring, I don't know that a Jewish person would wear one, even for Goth purposes.
    I mean, we are talking about a jewish boy who started his superhero career by dressing up like a pagan god, and then changed his codename to reference a pagan religion. A name that he still uses to this very day, even though it was pointed out more than once how it's weird for him name himself after a religion he's not a part of. I think the ''he's too jewish for this'' ship has sailed a long time ago. Billy just doesn't seem to be the overly religious type of person, and I'm fine with that.

spoilers:
    Teen Death's Head was in a lot of those ternate universes with the Young Avengers that Billy was looking up. Is he supposed to join them? Seems kinda random to keep him under the bed he shares with Teddy

Or did Billy finally find a new body for Jonas?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    OH ****, THAT JONAS THEORY. Didn't even think of it. And since Billy did reference Jonas in the book, now THAT would be a cool twist. Not sure if I want Jonas to go around looking like a young DH, though. I still stand by my suggestion that they should use Vin Vision's body to bring him back.
    end of spoilers

They didn't say his name in Secret Empire though. They just mentioned that there used to be another Patriot, and that Rayshaun e-mailed him to let him know he was taking the name
    Gillen's YA also didn't mention him by name. The closest we got was Tommy saying ''he knew the person who used to wear this'', referring to that weird Patriot-looking ghost. There was also this weird instance during the Age Of Ultron comic where a panel that showed a picture of Eli on the B&W preview pages was later edited and changed to a picture of America Chavez on the finished pages instead. I think that was the biggest sign that something weird was going on with Eli at the time.

But then again, they did show him on an variant cover of Doctor Strange that featured all of the YA and on a flashback of The Astonishing Ant-Man later on. Now they are mentioning him by name, and we know he's officially coming back for MC #1000, plus an appearence on a new game. It seems that they've been ''recovering'' the right to use him again bit by bit over the years.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-01-2019 at 06:03 AM.