Page 58 of 96 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Death's Head #2 was fun! I found it more entertaining than the first one.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Death's Head #2 was fun! I found it more entertaining than the first one.
    I felt the opposite. I liked the first one better, but enjoyed this one enough.

spoilers:
    So the purple-haired lady was Evelyn Necker indeed. Her role in this was about what I expected it would be. Interestingly, she cleared up the doubts I had about whether she was supposed to be from the same universe DH comes from or not. She basically confirmed she was not, as she showed the picture of the other Evelyn Necker from that universe. Death's Head also seemingly confirmed he was in an AU at the beginning of the story, and Yondu sent him to that universe they're in now. With the reference of P.E.G.A.S.U.S., which is where Necker from Earth-616 worked, I'm really starting to think that this story indeed takes place in the main universe.

This issue ALSO cleared up my doubt of whether young DH (which now we know was tenderly named Vee by Billy ) was already under the bed when Billy decided to teleport old DH to their apartment or not. He was! AND Billy teleporting the other DH was also not a coincidence, since it was all a part of his ''plan''.... about that, I'm not really sure how I feel about his motivation for doing the things that he did. Like, from a narrative POV, I get that it was probably a good excuse to explain how Billy and Teddy would end up hanging out with both DHs, but as a fan, it just seems like a silly reason. Like, if all he wanted was to be an Avenger again, surely he could've simply tried to assemble a new team using his superhero contacts instead of literally magically kidnapping robots in the hopes they would lead him to a possible future that he saw, right? It just seemed like such a convoluted way for him to get what he wanted. Plus, I kind of got the feeling that he self-fulfilled the futures he saw, as in, DH was in so many different futures with him and Teddy precisely because he went out of his way to pluck him from the multiverse and be with them. So now everything he saw in those futures might come true because he decided to do that in the first place.

I enjoyed the dynamic between the two Death's Heads. It was kinda weird how Vee went from pacifist to violent, though. But I guess maybe that was the point; that he adapts and learns easily, so watching the original DH be violent inspired him to be the same way? Anyway, I'm liking the character so far and I liked how Billy and Teddy were protective of him. I wouldn't mind if those futures really came true and they become teammates. Maybe he could be a Young Avenger; he essenstially is a young legacy character already.

And Kate! I felt like she showed up in this book in such a random way and wasn't really needed there, but I love me some Billy/Teddy/Kate interactions and her banter with Death's Head was fun, so I won't complain. She mentioned taking a flight, so I guess she was in LA and decided to go to NY to help them? I hope this book establishes what are her future plans now that the WCA are seemingly done, like if she wants to stick around in NY or what... Mostly, I'm just thinking of a good way Tini can tease a Young Avengers reunion. LOL
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-21-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Billy and Kate showed more personality in issue 2 then they have in years since Crusade. Teddy still feels just like a tag along I hope he gets some more shine.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Just read Death's Head #2 and I think I can say that the book isn't for me. I don't like Howard's iteration of Billy, Teddy is pretty much "blank supportive boyfriend", Kate was not funny and being kind of an ass, and I really don't care about the robots. The art is alright, but there are some action panels that aren't very clear about what is happening, and I hate the styling on Billy (get a haircut! and those claws). If you took a shot every time the word upgrade was used, you would get alcohol poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Just read Death's Head #2 and I think I can say that the book isn't for me. I don't like Howard's iteration of Billy, Teddy is pretty much "blank supportive boyfriend", Kate was not funny and being kind of an ass, and I really don't care about the robots. The art is alright, but there are some action panels that aren't very clear about what is happening, and I hate the styling on Billy (get a haircut! and those claws). If you took a shot every time the word upgrade was used, you would get alcohol poisoning.
    I think she's finally giving Billy some much needed personality other then nerdy fanboy. Though I agree about the nails they need to be trimmed, I like his hair.

Also there apartment has a pool. I'm really tryna figure out if this is supposed to be the New Avengers apartment.
    Last edited by Journey; 08-21-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    AGREED.
    I was skeptical upon announcement. I gave it 2 issues. I'm not into it.
    I'm STILL unsure that this is the 616.
    Billy and Teddy were terrific under Ewing in New Avengers. Kate shined in Thompson's Hawkeye.
    This..... is..... something else. And its supposed to be. Absolutely. Its just something I don't care for.

I felt like Teddy did more on this issue. And he wasn't actually supportive of Billy for him to be just "bland supportive boyfriend" lol.

I mean, I think the issue might just be that this is a Death's Head book, and the YA characters are just guest stars. End of the day, this isn't a YA story, it's a Death's Head story

I mean I don't dislike it, and since it is a mini will sick with it till the end, may as well. But yeah, it's not my favorite. It is looking like this is, in fact, the main universe though. I am ok with Billy going more goth, but yeah, the nails have to go. black polish, or maybe that black polish with glitter in it to fit his whole stars motif, (not that you could show that much detail on the page, but just sayin', black polish with glitter is cool, have some myself) fine, I'm all about that, just.... shorter. His desperate need for a team is a little odd though. You'd think he could just call up some of his friends and get something going. From ex-YA teammates to his brother (still waiting for an explanation there, about why they are not speaking) to Squirrel Girl, Loki, Ms Marvel, plenty of choices. With Champions ending, it frees her up, among others, like Viv etc. even if he hasn't had much interaction with them. And Loki is trying to prove himself, he's just asked to join the Avengers himself, and got refused, unsurprisingly, so a team with Billy and Teddy and maybe Squirrel Girl, i mean come on, you know they'd all be down for that. And it would suit him more than the whole Strikeforce thing, imo.

So I hear Isaiah Bradley was mentioned and shown in the pages of History Of The Marvel Universe this week. Between this and Eli's return next week, I guess we can safely say that whatever was keeping Marvel from using the Bradley family is finally over. Thank you, Black Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I mean, I think the issue might just be that this is a Death's Head book, and the YA characters are just guest stars. End of the day, this isn't a YA story, it's a Death's Head story
    You're right that this is a Death's Head book and not a YA one, but judging merely by the first two issues, I would say it's low-key a Billy book too. I mean, the driving force of the story so far is Billy's connection to both Death's Heads, and I feel we've seen his POV just as much as we've seen DH's, so... while it is technically a DH solo, I do think the writer planned this is as a Billy story as well, consciously or not. Maybe I'll change my mind with the next two issues, but that's the impression I'm getting so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I mean I don't dislike it, and since it is a mini will sick with it till the end, may as well. But yeah, it's not my favorite. It is looking like this is, in fact, the main universe though. I am ok with Billy going more goth, but yeah, the nails have to go. black polish, or maybe that black polish with glitter in it to fit his whole stars motif, (not that you could show that much detail on the page, but just sayin', black polish with glitter is cool, have some myself) fine, I'm all about that, just.... shorter. His desperate need for a team is a little odd though. You'd think he could just call up some of his friends and get something going. From ex-YA teammates to his brother (still waiting for an explanation there, about why they are not speaking) to Squirrel Girl, Loki, Ms Marvel, plenty of choices. With Champions ending, it frees her up, among others, like Viv etc. even if he hasn't had much interaction with them. And Loki is trying to prove himself, he's just asked to join the Avengers himself, and got refused, unsurprisingly, so a team with Billy and Teddy and maybe Squirrel Girl, i mean come on, you know they'd all be down for that. And it would suit him more than the whole Strikeforce thing, imo.
    Yeah, that's the one thing that bothered me. It seems like his actions on this book are so overdramatic. It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the book, but it is a little weird. And my guess right now is that the whole conflict of the story with Billy wanting to be on a team might be what sends him to Strikeforce, after all. The first two solicits for Strikeforce don't mention him or show him on the cover at all (while all of the other members are seen and/or mentioned), and that's during the two months where Death's Head is still being published. If issue 3 mentions him, after DH ends, then I'll be even more convinced that the end of this mini might tie-in with his debut on Strikeforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    The YAs became friends with the core eight Champions in Unstoppable Wasp #7, and with Champions gone, Amadeus will be the only one still with a team (Agents of Atlas). Yeah, everyone else is a potential candidate for a new team.

Of course, Squirrel Girl has also been without a team since No Surrender finished... you'd have to wonder why Billy and Teddy didn't ask her to join them on a New Avengers team after that. The reason she didn't in the first place was her loyalty to Sunspot. Once he disbanded the U.S.Avengers, that became irrelevant.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-22-2019 at 01:53 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yup it looks like the Bradley family is definitely in the clear now.

Capture1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stature View Post
    Yup it looks like the Bradley family is definitely in the clear now.

Capture1.jpg
    The best way to come back: punching nazis! God, I'm even more excited for Eli's return now. I want to see him suit up and be a superhero again. Marvel better treat him right after giving him the limbo treatment for 7 damn years!

BTW, solicits are out for Strikeforce #3 and while Billy is not on any cover, they mention him on the text:

STRIKEFORCE #3
    TINI HOWARD (W) • GERMÁN PERALTA (A)
    Cover by ANDREA SORRENTINO
    VARIANT COVER BY DECLAN SHALVEY
    VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY ANDREA SORRENTINO
    DOOM’S OWN DEMIURGE!
    The changeling creatures known as Vridai have lodged their fey claws into one of the most powerful men on Earth — Doctor Doom! And when Wiccan falls under their spell as well, the changelings have all the ingredients for a world-ending the likes of which you’ve never seen.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    So this is interesting because it seems to finally confirm how he joins the team. Apparently he'll be in a damsel in distress kind of stituation and the Strikeforce team will save his ass, so I'm guessing he probably joins them in gratitude or something. I guess it makes sense, since he wouldn't naturally gravitate towards a ''darker'' team like that.

Even more interesting is Doom's involvement in this. It looks like the Vridai, whoever they are, need both Doom's and Billy's powers to achieve their evil goals; and that's A LOT of power. There's also a Demiurge mention there, so I guess his god-like powers are what they are after, which makes sense. It kinda bothers me that Billy has had such a tremendous power for a while now and no one outside of the Young Avengers seems to have taken notice of that (for the wrong or right reasons), so I'll be glad if Tini explores the repercussions of that. Plus, I'm curious to see how Billy's interaction with Doom will be for the first time ever since Avengers: The Children's Crusade.

Strikeforce #3 Solicit:
    DOOM’S OWN DEMIURGE!
    The changeling creatures known as Vridai have lodged their fey claws into one of the most powerful men on Earth — Doctor Doom! And when Wiccan falls under their spell as well, the changelings have all the ingredients for a world-ending the likes of which you’ve never seen.

Sad he didn't make it to the cover.

Has there ever been any reporting on legal issues surrounding the Bradleys, or has that just been fan speculation?

I see people mention it a lot, but I've never seen even so much as a Bleeding Cool article on the subject.