Page 62 of 96 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Legacy.

It was his brother's first name, and Teddy arguably has an even bigger legacy to live up to than Genis ever did.

Caarol's stolen the name now, and has her own legacy fan character in Kamala, plus the movie. No way Teddy is ever getting the name except in the odd future set story.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    The whole magic or just reality warping debate needs an answer. I'm just really hoping we get a definitive explanation of whether or not Billy and Tommy are still mutants. Especially with everything going on with the X-men now is the time. I'm saying yay only because a future version of Billy was a confirmed X-men.
    I never saw it as an either/or situation. My headcanon is that his powers are magic-based reality warping as a result of the whole magical reincarnation thing. Basically, he was born with sheer chaos magic abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Bleeding Cool are speculating that Teddy will be getting a new codename... Captain Marvel.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...aptain-marvel/

I don't see it happening though, unless he and Carol share it.
    I don't see it happening either, BUT I wouldn't be against it. I think it could seriously help increase his profile, and I'm here for that. Plus, he is the only child of Mar-Vell who hasn't had the chance to use the moniker, so I think it's only fair to give him a shot at least once. Anyway, I'm still all for him calling himself Mr. Marvel, since it's such an obvious and commercial superhero name and it baffles me that Marvel hasn't thought of using that for any hero yet.

Unrelated, but fun fact mentioned in the article: Young Avengers #1 (Vol. 1) is apparently more expensive now because of Kate's first appearence. That's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Yeah, nope, Marvel would definetely not want to have a male Captain Marvel "competing" with Carol.
    I would agree with this if we were talking about a white straight cis male. With Teddy, though, they can more easily get way with any bad conotations a shared title might have. I still think Marvel probably wants to push Carol as the one and only Captain Marvel, BUT in case they don't, I think they would be more inclined to make her share the title with a minority character.

And a homosexual doesn't count as a minority?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I would agree with this if we were talking about a white straight cis male. With Teddy, though, they can more easily get way with any bad conotations a shared title might have. I still think Marvel probably wants to push Carol as the one and only Captain Marvel, BUT in case they don't, I think they would be more inclined to make her share the title with a minority character.
    They're both minority characters, though. You don't think it's "wrong" to make 2 minority characters share a superhero name?

Hybrid
    King Marvel
    Masked Marvel

Supreme Emperor Dorrek Vell

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Hybrid
    King Marvel
    Masked Marvel

Supreme Emperor Dorrek Vell
    Marvel Man, sung to the tune of 'Macho Man.'

Or is that too on the nose?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Could also honestly go with Mr Marvel.

Marvel Boy is technically free if Noh isn't being written anywhere.

If we want to make DC mad we can call him "Captain Marvel Jr."
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Why do so many posts in the past 2 pages have certain words in “quotes”?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

"scare quotes"

Extraordinary Member

Billy has magic-based Reality Warping, period.
    Not all magic is knowledge-based like the ones Stephen use.
    Ghost Riders, Hellstroms spat out hellfires without doing spells but they are magical by nature.
    Modred can manipulate elements like Crystal, but it's magic-based than genetic-based.

Extraordinary Member

CM is too much of a Kree specific legacy I think.
    Teddy needs something that can honor both sides of his heritage.

Ted Danson
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Could also honestly go with Mr Marvel.

Marvel Boy is technically free if Noh isn't being written anywhere.

If we want to make DC mad we can call him "Captain Marvel Jr."
    Noh-Varr's still using the name. He was in West Coast Avengers until that got cancelled.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And a homosexual doesn't count as a minority?
    It does, which was my point. Teddy IS a minority, which is why I think Marvel wouldn't have a problem with making him a new Captain Marvel alongside Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    They're both minority characters, though. You don't think it's "wrong" to make 2 minority characters share a superhero name?
    It's not really about what I think, but about what kind of image the company wants to put out there. There is a reason why the majority of legacy characters created in the 21st century are females and/or minorities. They're clearly trying to make up for something there. I wouldn't have a problem with a white straight cis-male being Captain Marvel again if he had a good story, but Marvel might not think that is a good business strategy after they've been trying so hard to associate the Captain Marvel title with their diversity initiative. Therefore, I think a minority character has a bigger shot to become a new Captain Marvel. Not everyone is going to agree that it's the right thing, but it's the kind of thing companies do these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    It's not really about what I think, but about what kind of image the company wants to put out there. There is a reason why the majority of legacy characters created in the 21st century are females and/or minorities. They're clearly trying to make up for something there. I wouldn't have a problem with a white straight cis-male being Captain Marvel again if he had a good story, but Marvel might not think that is a good business strategy after they've been trying so hard to associate the Captain Marvel title with their diversity initiative. Therefore, I think a minority character has a bigger shot to become a new Captain Marvel. Not everyone is going to agree that it's the right thing, but it's the kind of thing companies do these days.
    We seem to be in disagreement on whether we think Marvel would think Carol sharing the name with anyone would be a good idea.