Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

I hope she is adopted and still has her red hair. I guess they can go with a wig like the Batman 66 TV series.
    Also it hasn't been confirmed that Gordon will be black has it?

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    I hope she is adopted and still has her red hair. I guess they can go with a wig like the Batman 66 TV series.
    Also it hasn't been confirmed that Gordon will be black has it?
    It hasn't but the actors they've been looking at for Gordon have pretty much all been black.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

New DC timeline from Bleeding Cool's blurry pic
    Gen 2 Year 1 Batman debuts
    Gen 2 Year 3 Dick Robin debuts
    Gen 2 Year 11 Babsgirl debuts
    Gen 3 Year 4 The Killing Joke
    Gen 3 Year 7 Cass Cain Batgirl debuts, No Man's Land

Gen 2 has 15 years ending at Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Gen 3 has 15 years ending at Flashpoint

I can't tell if Babs is mentioned anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    New DC timeline from Bleeding Cool's blurry pic
    Gen 2 Year 1 Batman debuts
    Gen 2 Year 3 Dick Robin debuts
    Gen 2 Year 11 Babsgirl debuts
    Gen 3 Year 4 The Killing Joke
    Gen 3 Year 7 Cass Cain Batgirl debuts, No Man's Land

Gen 2 has 15 years ending at Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Gen 3 has 15 years ending at Flashpoint

I can't tell if Babs is mentioned anywhere else

So what does this all mean? Are DC changing their timeline again?

Babsgirl arrives in year 11? So 8 years after Robin?

Thats a huge gap from Robin and Batgirl.

So what does this all mean? Are DC changing their timeline again?

Babsgirl arrives in year 11? So 8 years after Robin?

Thats a huge gap from Robin and Batgirl.
    Yeah. Didio and Lee have talked about it a few months ago but this is the first time we saw the blurry result.
    Gen 2 is basically Silver Age to Crisis of Infinite Earths.

https://heroichollywood.com/gail-sim...arbara-gordon/

Gail Simone hints that Barbara Gordon as Batgirl is getting much love coming soon in other DC movies.

This sounds promising!

https://heroichollywood.com/gail-sim...arbara-gordon/

Gail Simone hints that Barbara Gordon as Batgirl is getting much love coming soon in other DC movies.

This sounds promising!
    Considering we haven't heard anything about the Batgirl movie in forever, I'll take a wait and see approach.

I remember the set age of Batman family during the time of Batman Family publication and Dick was in college and Babs a congresswoman was that Bruce is 28, Babs 25, and Dick 18, but was Babs 25 when she's first introduced as a librarian or was she younger?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I remember the set age of Batman family during the time of Batman Family publication and Dick was in college and Babs a congresswoman was that Bruce is 28, Babs 25, and Dick 18, but was Babs 25 when she's first introduced as a librarian or was she younger?
    Given that Barbara was introduced only three years before Dick went off to college, it is unlikely that any more than a year or two passed in the comics before Dick went off to college.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Yeah, I don't she would've aged that much from her debut.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Given that Barbara was introduced only three years before Dick went off to college, it is unlikely that any more than a year or two passed in the comics before Dick went off to college.
    I didn't pay attention to the book's date. So it's only 3 years? Okay, I'll count it as one year difference. Dick was 17, Babs 24 Bruce 27.

Batgirl 40 was ok, things are happening but feels a bit drawn out. WK 4 though, damn.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Batgirl 40 was ok, things are happening but feels a bit drawn out. WK 4 though, damn.
    White Knight #4...it was a lot better than #3 (I quite liked 1 and 2, but 3 really fell off a quality cliff for me). I feel like Murphy made Bruce look incredibly incompetent when he didn't need to (something that a lot of people accuse writers I enjoy, like Tynion and King, of doing, but I normally don't notice, but here it just felt like he was incredibly ineffective for no apparent reason).

I am curious to see if spoilers:
    Babs will be Oracle in White Knight - feels like too much change too quickly, with not enough setup. But we'll have to see.
    end of spoilers
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Continuing on from millernumber1's thoughts on making Babs into Oracle.

I think DC has a real trouble recreating Oracle in story. Oracle's creation story goes into some real ugly places in DC's past, and is an implicit critique of the way women and side characters are treated in stories. Ostrander and Yale not only created a new and unique role for Babs, in the process they had the fridged woman and the redshirt look the hero in the eye and ask who they care about.

So not only does Oracle make a certain set of people uncomfortable: disabled in a genre where the abled body is celebrated; a woman in a genre where men dominates as publishers, writers, distributors, and in marketing. Her origin story makes it even more so. It includes one of the most celebrated stories that DC has published, and a scathing critique of the same story.

The paradox is that Oracle has the most meaningful and compelling origin story of any superhero, but it's also a story which could only be told once, because it helped shine the light on and expose the ugly underbelly of popular culture. I think it's no surprise that Gail Simone's Women in Refridgerators campaign came at about the same time. Oracle Year One ought to be hailed as one of the DC's seminal comics. But in its telling it changed the awareness of the object it critiqued.

So Oracle Year One can't be retold (unlike say Spiderman's origin story), and at the same time no other version of turning Babs into Oracle can have a chance of being remotely as meaningful.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    White Knight #4...it was a lot better than #3 (I quite liked 1 and 2, but 3 really fell off a quality cliff for me). I feel like Murphy made Bruce look incredibly incompetent when he didn't need to (something that a lot of people accuse writers I enjoy, like Tynion and King, of doing, but I normally don't notice, but here it just felt like he was incredibly ineffective for no apparent reason).

I am curious to see if spoilers:
    Babs will be Oracle in White Knight - feels like too much change too quickly, with not enough setup. But we'll have to see.
    end of spoilers
    I don’t think it would happen in WK, but in a 3rd series maybe. And probably with a Murphy spin and a lot of BTAS influence. I certainly think that’s where he is going with her though.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-24-2019 at 02:47 AM.