Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Barbara Gordon: Batgirl, Oracle Appreciation 2019

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The first time I know about Barbara Gordon is from Batman 66 tv series.

As a kid, I remember being confused whether I want her to be with Bruce or Dick because there's always a love interest in the movies and books I read at the time and her age in Batman 66 seems to fit neatly between the two.

It's only after Schumacher's Batman and Robin and BTAS did I start to consider Dick Grayson as her love interest.

The first comic I read about her is in Hush as Oracle, The Killing Joke as a civilian, and the New 52 as Batgirl. It really surprised me that she didn't have her own solo before New 52.

d3imd1r-d94d58c1-355f-4663-a46c-1741681fda8c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The first comic I read about her is in Hush as Oracle, The Killing Joke as a civilian, and the New 52 as Batgirl. It really surprised me that she didn't have her own solo before New 52.
    In a way, the original Birds of Prey can be considered as Oracle's first solo title. And when she was first created, the comics market was very dissimilar to today's, and her having a regular backup feature in Detective Comics was probably equivalent (or more so in exposure) as having her own title today.

And now for one picture that really shows how other heroes appreciate Babs, from Birds of Prey #21:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Batgirl 30 was ok, can’t say I like Eternal’s Jason Bard. But Batgirl in HiC was really cool. Nice to see her have a role in an event.

Happy New Year to the Dominoed Daredoll and sometimes-Oracle Barbara Gordon .

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Batgirl 30 was ok, can’t say I like Eternal’s Jason Bard. But Batgirl in HiC was really cool. Nice to see her have a role in an event.
    I love Batman Eternal, so I loved seeing this followed up on. While Scott is such a huge step up from the last 7 years, I still don't have an emotional connection to this series as I want to (and had to Babs in Birds of Prey).

Heroes in Crisis really reminded me of Oracle Year One in Babs's reactions and feelings. I think it's not quite as good as Ostrander and Yale's take, but it was really nice to see that exploration.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Heroes in Crisis really reminded me of Oracle Year One in Babs's reactions and feelings. I think it's not quite as good as Ostrander and Yale's take, but it was really nice to see that exploration.
    I had the opposite reaction: this was twentyfive years too late, and we have been subjected to a Babs where every writer since New 52 has feel compelled to get back to TKJ at the first opportunity. But Babs is the one superhero who have gone through a trauma recovery arc on-camera: first as Oracle and then as Batgirl. What King does in the Babs booth session here goes right against what Scott did in Batgirl #27. And that undercuts the scene with Harley as well.