Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think the Ink and Zoom imprints are a better place to do that then the main continuity.

The Burnside Suite would have been fine for something like "Batgirl: Year One" or maybe for Steph as Batgirl, but not for an adult Barbara after Killing Joke and Oracle.
    Agreed.

I could say a lot of Burnside felt like they were trying to go for more of a Steph!Batgirl feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    The Burnside costume would work better if Barbara were Damian's contemporary instead of Dick. The Murphy look would work if she were Tim's contemporary instead of Dick. But they're both too young looking for a hero as established as she is.
    Id argue Dick is often portrayed as too old. Take the recent Titans series for example, or Ric even with his stupid Taxi. It not necessarily a bad idea to try and embrace that these character’s are suppose to be in the early 20’s and try to make them more contemporary. Rather then have them come off like relics from the 60’s and out of touch with current times.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-29-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Id argue Dick is often portrayed as too old. Take the recent Titans series for example, or Ric even with his stupid Taxi. It not necessarily a bad idea to try and embrace that these character’s are suppose to be in the early 20’s and make the more contemporary, then have them come off like relics from the 60’s.
    He could have atleast been a Lyft driver.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

At least its relevant.

Id argue Dick is often portrayed as too old. Take the recent Titans series for example, or Ric even with his stupid Taxi. It not necessarily a bad idea to try and embrace that these character’s are suppose to be in the early 20’s and try to make them more contemporary. Rather then have them come off like relics from the 60’s and out of touch with current times.
    I dunno. I kind of get what you're saying but I think she's been through too much to where she could believably come off like the young adult they were trying to spin her as with Burnside.

Even if she's young in age she's old of spirit.

Extraordinary Member

He is not out of touch just becuase he doesn’t want to be on his phone all the time. It’s not that he doesn’t know how to operate tech he chooses to minimize it. It’s also suppose to be an opposites attract thing with babs.

Babs lost her first suit and had to put together something on a budget, she 24 and in grad school she is young? Yes the outfits was less body tight so it made her easier to use in children novel and media

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Babs lost her first suit and had to put together something on a budget, she 24 and in grad school she is young? Yes the outfits was less body tight so it made her easier to use in children novel and media
    I don't know if it mad her easier to use. It's not like any of Batgirl's old costumes made her impractical on that front, but the Burnside costume was definitely very cosplayable, which I guess helped.

I think the Ink and Zoom imprints are a better place to do that then the main continuity.

The Burnside Suite would have been fine for something like "Batgirl: Year One" or maybe for Steph as Batgirl, but not for an adult Barbara after Killing Joke and Oracle.

The Burnside costume was a bad idea for Batgirl after Killing Joke. It made no sense, going from an amazing armored costume to Burnside was crazy. What was worse was the way Babs Tarr drew her. I disliked the art and the way Babs Tarr drew Barbara/Batgirl made her look like she was 12. She acted very immature and i couldn't get my head around the drastic change from the amazing serious kick ass New 52 Batgirl by Gail Simone to the baby Batgirl of Burnside.
    I do like Murphys Batgirl design but just hate that she has no cowl.
    I love this new design in issue 38 because the cowl is back and the colors are darker.
    If this look doesnt stick than i hope the next look ends up being the 3 Jokers design or something amazing with cowl.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if it mad her easier to use. It's not like any of Batgirl's old costumes made her impractical on that front, but the Burnside costume was definitely very cosplayable, which I guess helped.
    It’s not impractical but it’s not a tight bodysuit showing every inch of her

It’s not impractical but it’s not a tight bodysuit showing every inch of her
    Yeah, but how actually skintight it is has always depended on the artist/depiction. That's true for any Superhero.

I mean, I get why Tarr didn't go for spandex. I really do. But it was probably too unconventional for a mainline Superhero to keep as a permanent look.

Going from Oracle to Burnside was very jarring. Never felt like Barbara. The Burnside Batgirl should've been Stephanie.
    I didn't care for the costume either. I don't advocate super tight sex kitten looks for every character, but Babs should be more professional than that. I'm in general not a fan of the "easy cosply" costume look. Cosplayers can do amazing looks of old school well designed costumes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Going from Oracle to Burnside was very jarring. Never felt like Barbara. The Burnside Batgirl should've been Stephanie.
    I didn't care for the costume either. I don't advocate super tight sex kitten looks for every character, but Babs should be more professional than that. I'm in general not a fan of the "easy cosply" costume look. Cosplayers can do amazing looks of old school well designed costumes.
    Did you the batgirl between burnside

Extraordinary Member

Babs lost her first suit and had to put together something on a budget, she 24 and in grad school she is young?
    It would have made sense as a suit when she was in need as a fast replacement, but it doesn't really made sense that she didn't go a proper suit soon after it again.

Extraordinary Member

I think the difference between Dick and Barbara was that there was not a big change in Dick Characterisation. Post Flashpoint even pre Burnside Barbara came of as younger and more in experienced then pre Flashpoint, Dick on the other hand was imo written like back in Chuck Dixons Nightwing (where he had Barbara as Oracle frequently used as Dicks tech Support).
    Dick was on paper aged down roughly 6 years in the new 52, but I don't think that was really noticeable.

Astonishing Member

I think the difference between Dick and Barbara was that there was not a big change in Dick Characterisation. Post Flashpoint even pre Burnside Barbara came of as younger and more in experienced then pre Flashpoint, Dick on the other hand was imo written like back in Chuck Dixons Nightwing (where he had Barbara as Oracle frequently used as Dicks tech Support).
    Dick was on paper aged down roughly 6 years in the new 52, but I don't think that was really noticeable.
    Yeah. Gail Simone wrote her Batgirl younger and inexperienced than Oracle (in Pre-Flashpoint continuity). People tend ignore this today, because Burnside Batgirl took it to a new level.

I remember Gail Simone mentioned that Barbara must be younger and inexperienced so that it would make sense for Barbara to be Batgirl again (at that time, continuity was hazy and her time as Oracle was quite doubtful).