Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Heroes of the New Age : NAoH appreciaton 2019 !

So, with CBR closing the old appréciations thread for the New Age of Heroes characters, I think it could be a good idea to put them together, for the time being. They don't generate enough conversation that it would be too hard to follow (alas).

Here are the links to the old threads :

The New Challengers hadn't an appreciation thread, so this one will have to do !

*The Silencer also has a sister appreciation thread on the Batman sub-forum, which isn't closed !
    **It isn't an "official" appreciation thread, but it's also still open

What do you say guys ? Who's ready to save those characters from oblivion ?

PS: How fitting is it that it's my 2000th post ? I hadn't seen that coming.

I'm bummed Immortal Men got cancelled so early on, I hope they still play with the ideas in there. Maybe since Tynion left it for JLD, maybe we'll see them pop up over there? I think we'll definitely see Silencer and Sideways in the future and I'm looking forward to that. I'm not really feeling Damage but based on how much crossover they're doing in his book, he'll likely survive ass well. I hope to goodness The Terrifics stay a thing, easily the most fun book for me and the most fun I've had with Mr. Terrific in a while. Brimstone and the Unexpected were tons to fun and very intriguing; unfortunately iunno if they'll survive the culling but I hope they do. That Brimstone vs Dr. Fate issue was fucking amazing! I didn't care for Challengers, it had some interesting spots but overall just didn't grab me. i think it'll likely disappear quietly.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Immortal Men was brimming with potential, but the poor book was riddled with problems, from Jim Lee not even bothering with one complete issue of art, and Tynion moving to greener pastures...

Still, it introduced really interesting characters and could be used as a springboard for a revival of its idea later on.

Damage's crossing over with other properties... I don't, know, it's expected, but I feel they didn't really showed off how strong he is by hiding most of the fights with Diana and Superman.

After having read this week issue of The Silencer and The Terrific, I really can't see the later closing shop any time soon (even if I guess issue 14 could be the end of the series, which would be a shame).

The former... I guess it'll depend on how Bendis portray Leviathan in Action Comics, because, let's not kid ourselves, what happens in a Superman book will always have precedence to what happens in a NAoH book. So, if Talia and Leviathan are nothing alike with their depictions in The Silencer, with not even a passing mention of Quietus, Raze, Silencer or Michael the Kaiju Dog, it'll be a death sentence for this book. And issue 13 will already be a game changer, what with the twist of yesterday's issue...

Terrifics #14 sounds like it could be the end, but the solicit didn't have the FINAL ISSUE notation. I think it'll continue with a new writer.

The latest issue was super good, so I'm glad it's keeping on! I'm liking Lemire's usage of the Multiverse and I look foreward to seeing more of the Dreadfuls.

I really hope DC doesn’t just shelve and forget the characters and concepts created in the New Age of Heroes.

The Immortal Men has some great character even though the book didn’t last. Ghost Fist, a Shadow-like hero from 1920s Harlem. So damn cool. I really hope he shows up again. Plus the Korean American new Immortal Man. DC has so few Asian superheroes. He also has a ton of potential.

The Silencer is a great character as well. Loved how the book explored the secret world of assassins. Very John Wick mixed with Beatrix Kiddo from Kill Bill. Plus a character of Maori descent hasn’t been seen before in mainstream comics.

The Terrifics is one of the best books DC is currently producing. It sells better than the rest because it features established DC heroes. But I love how Lemire has reinvented Mr. Terrific as a modern day “science hero” along the lines of Doc Savage (or Tom Strong who is inspired by the classic pulp science heroes). It differentiates him from other genius human superheroes like Batman.

Making Mr.Terrific this Multiverse-travelling hero with his band of comrades is actually so damn brilliant I'm surprised no one thought about it, and the main reason I don't want the book to end after Lemire leave. It's just too much potential to be squandered by a cancellation.

Oh, man.

This could be an "All-Time Champ..." "I'm Bummed..." thread.

Lots of potential gone too soon. Wish DC would have at least given each title a year to run.

Well. They did, for the ones which weren't announced as a mini (New Challengers), given up by the artistic team as a whole (Immortal men) or just kind of dropped probably because of very low sales (The Unexpected).

But out of the eight books, five will have had a whole year and at least an annual before cancellation; with hints that Sideways may come back later on (hopefully during or after Snyder's next cosmic event); Brimstone, depending on how its end, could also appears in a big cosmic event or sadly fade away. And Damage, The Silencer and The Terrifics are still going come March, with fifteen issues and an annual for the first two and fourteen and an annual for the third.

Considering the current state of comics, the fact that none has been announced as cancelled yet, and how DC's main readership seems driven more by nostalgia than anything else (considering the hype around the new Young Justice comics when the current Teen Titans team is excellent, easily one of the best books out there right now), I'm actually pretty impressed.

Hopefully, Naomi and batman and the Outsiders will be able to take the relay to continue expand the DCU, if all the NAoH ends this year.

Extraordinary Member

When almost every originating artist was announced to only be doing the first few issues the whole line got some bad press it didn't need, but V Ken. Marion and Viktor Bogdanovic are two upcoming artists that I am really glad are on these books, and Lopresti is an old fave so I am pretty happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    When almost every originating artist was announced to only be doing the first few issues the whole line got some bad press it didn't need, but V Ken. Marion and Viktor Bogdanovic are two upcoming artists that I am really glad are on these books, and Lopresti is an old fave so I am pretty happy with that.
    In hindsight, I think that instead of pushing for already well-known artists, who thus can choose to leave rather easily, DC should have pushed the likes of Bogdanovic : up and coming artists, with some caveats, like the books are guaranteed to last a whole year without any threat of cancellation, but with the artists staying on for the same duration.

But well, it's in hindsight, of course.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Considering the current state of comics, the fact that none has been announced as cancelled yet, and how DC's main readership seems driven more by nostalgia than anything else (considering the hype around the new Young Justice comics when the current Teen Titans team is excellent, easily one of the best books out there right now), I'm actually pretty impressed.

Hopefully, Naomi and batman and the Outsiders will be able to take the relay to continue expand the DCU, if all the NAoH ends this year.
    If DC didn't CRAP on those guys since 2006 and thus now doing LONG OVERDUE damage control with a guy whose creation ELSEWHERE are taking DC to task-this line and even TT could have gotten better reception.

But when you alienate fans on purpose (or what seems like purpose)-new folks and books with "talent" will get the brunt of hate.

So any failure of this line falls on DC themselves. Because they need to be reminded there is a consequence for antics.

I disagree.

DC faults' are important, but in the end, it's potential readers who makes or breaks a title's viability. Plenty of peoples had decided to not buy the books as soon as they were announced because they weren't old properties. But if said old properties where put out today as they were, they would probably not find enough readers to last, without being retooled. And the same people clamoring for Young Justice, the Legion, the JSA, etc., don't want to have those older properties retooled. And it extend beyond just comics to movies too, just look at the MoS thread and the likes in the Superman forum.

But, enough with the doom and gloom !

What did you guy thought of this week's issue of The Terrifics and The Silencer ?

I found the former awesome, depicting all the struggles that each of the team members are going through, which are all both mundane and over the top. I think it's this mixture of really human feelings (Terrific's loneliness and inability to let go his guilt for his wife's death; Lina's inability to reconnect with a world which hasn't changed when she did so much; Rex' impossible search for a job when all he knows is to be a freaky hero and stuggling with the woman he loves because of it; and of course Eel, who tries and fail to reconnect with the ones he loves and couldn't see while he was never at fault). The Dreadfuls also look awesome and as a perfect Dark Reflection of the Terrifics, and I hope that both teams will battle each others for long !

As for The Silencer, the first part went basically as I expected, even if the art blew me away (there is so much details even in the simple goons, their look and expression -special mention to a Ginger assassin whose death face is simply awesome). It also depicted a really Deadly Honor, even after 5 years of inaction and only some days/weeks, to get back into the game, since she took out at least half a dozen assassins before being restrained. talia also came out as a very competent, cruel and petty character with the way she threatened Blake and Ben Guests, and when she said that she had finally acquired Honor's undivided loyalty, I couldn't help but think that releasing her so Honor would have a family that she could threaten was actually Talia's plan all along.

And that ending... I won't spoil it, but it was poetic injustice. I know that some peoples are unhappy that Talia is going full blown villain, but I think that it'll be better for her in the long run, and if she is half as ruthless as in this series when she'll pop into Action Comics, I'll be happy. After Morrisson's Leviathan arc, I always felt that Talia needed either full redemption (including moving to Gotham to leave with Bruce and Damian) or full villainy, and The Silencer did an incredible job making her a very strong villain, IMHO.

Extraordinary Member

I am not caught up on Silencer yet but I did really like Terrifics. I found some problems with the first few issues, and I don't know if this was the plan all along or something that was done to salvage something else that wasn't working, but I like the result and the new threat that hopefully brings the team back together.

It seems that the covers which hadn't be released for January for some series (such as JLO or The Silencer are out) and here are the ones for the NAoH : The Silencer 13, Brimstone Annual and The Terrifics 12

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It seems that the covers which hadn't be released for January for some series (such as JLO or The Silencer are out) and here are the ones for the NAoH : The Silencer 13, Brimstone Annual and The Terrifics 12

Glad they got rid of the visor on Silencer’s costume. She looks way better without it.

Love the Terrifics cover! Wonder if they’re all new characters or obscure villains.