Always Rakzo

Default DCeased: Unkillables #2 Discussion/Spoilers

This series gives me such conflict of interests.

Tom Taylor offers a new installment where he plays with the idea of a team of supervillains surviving zombies. There are very cool moments like when Slade and the others interact with Gordon and his group, especially when Taylor pulls-off charming moments like the villains getting used to a more quiet life and some of them even getting fond of the kids they have to take care of (Cheetah acting like a real cat with one of them being the highlight). The little character moments in Lady Shiva and Cassandra Cain shows that Taylor actually gets this cast.

That would be the case if the rest of the characters didn't sound so off which is something that is typical from Taylor. For example, most of the others are portrayed in a rather shallow way where their base personality is just what you get and those are the lucky ones since some like Deadshot seem badly portrayed due that he's ready to get rid of the children while Slade doesn't when what makes him different from Deathstroke is that Floyd actually cares about his daughter despite of being a psychopath, then again, this doesn't come much of a surprise considering how much of a non-entity Deadshot is in Taylor's Suicide Squad.

On the other hand, the pacing is good, the action is logically brutal and there's more content than usual for a Taylor book. I also like how he's using the plot-point of the cast of the original DCeased book leaving Earth as part of this story.

Karl Mostert handles the art and he's pretty good in terms of characters and gore, lots of detail overall.

Mixed feelings about this, not sure what to expect next.

Looks like I did it again with someone talking about DCeased at the same time. Sorry.

Moderators feel free to just make mine a comment of this thread or merge or whatever the option is.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

By the way since it kind of played into this issue and last issue, since when can Rose Wilson see into the future? I have only read the Geoff John's teen titans run she was in Pre-New 52, heard Priest's Deathstroke was good but I didn't get around to.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Going from what I recall: Rose can get glimpse into the near future but that doesn't mean that it's 100% going to happen or that it's "on" all the time. At least it didn't in the main DCU. I think it was mentioned when she first fought Cass and around that time in other books. It's mostly been used to her advantage in fights.

I’ve really enjoyed this series so far. It’s been brutal and fun, which is what anyone hopes for in a zombie story. Creeper is by far my favorite character here. It’s odd that he’s being portrayed as a villain lately. Here and in Doomsday Clock he was teamed up with the bad guys. He’s not a conventional hero but he’s never been a straight up villain.

Honestly my favorites will always be characters I already like such as Jason Todd and Rose Wilson, but I do think the villains overall had some really nice moments even Grundy surprisingly.

I will say also, Mirror Master zombie scares me more then Wonder Woman zombie. One is strong and can rip you apart, the other can jump out of no where and drag you in which is terrifying.
    Words to live by.

So long as Jason, Cass, and Rose survive (and hopefully the kids), I think I may continue with this. As I'm not really a horror kind of guy.

And while I really enjoy the characterizations of most everyone, the art is a buzzkill, mainly in the characters themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So long as Jason, Cass, and Rose survive (and hopefully the kids), I think I may continue with this. As I'm not really a horror kind of guy.

And while I really enjoy the characterizations of most everyone, the art is a buzzkill, mainly in the characters themselves.
    I mean...I’m not sure if they will live but there’s only one issue left in this and supposedly Taylor has indicated that if anyone does survive they will be in the sequel to DCeased, Dead Planet, five years in the future alongside Harley, Ivy, Constantine, Zatanna, Dr. Fate, Swamp Thing, and Detective Chimp.

All they have to do is make it through zombie mirror master, zombie bane, and a horde of the undead....next issue gonna be rough.
    Words to live by.

I think Deathstroke will be taken out next issue. He’ll go down protecting Rose which will give her even more character motivation. Grundy could have a Hodor moment and sacrifice himself to save the kids.

I can believe the Grundy thing as he just follows orders and was shown to have a soft spot for the kids this issue but Deathstrokes hard to say. First issue showed he becomes infected and then his healing factor turns him back to normal. So I think I’d argue that so long as Deathstroke isn’t literally ripped apart(because I don’t think he heals from that) he might be ok.
    Words to live by.