Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Beneath the Deep: Black Manta Appreciation 2019

Ok so it looked like the BM thread was closed. I haven't seen Aquaman yet but my biggest draw to see it is actually Black Manta. I like that dude. He's smooth and hell and totally ruthless. Any thoughts on Manta? One thing that gets me is his outfit. I've seen him done really sinister and kinda hokey.

My favs: Devil Ray look from Justice League, Young Justice look, Movie outfit

I'm not a fan of the comic look because it seems to plain to me. A bubble helmet and a skintight suit. I like my Manta kinda armored up...

Quote Originally Posted by ArsonoptiX View Post
    Ok so it looked like the BM thread was closed. I haven't seen Aquaman yet but my biggest draw to see it is actually Black Manta. I like that dude. He's smooth and hell and totally ruthless. Any thoughts on Manta? One thing that gets me is his outfit. I've seen him done really sinister and kinda hokey.

I'm not a fan of the comic look because it seems to plain to me. A bubble helmet and a skintight suit. I like my Manta kinda armored up...
    He's pretty cool in the Aquaman movie but unfortunately he doesn't get a ton of screentime because I think they want to set him up to be the next movie's villain. His fight is way better than the fight against Orm imo.

I actually dig manta's slim wetsuit but I think the YJ and Injustice versions are my favorite iterations. I think he looks more sinister when he's helmetless but Injustice 2 has some pretty awesome helmet designs.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-02-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by ArsonoptiX View Post

I agree with all of this. Even down to not seeing Aquaman yet (I'll wait for the blu-ray, DCEU has let me down far too often for me to give them my money for their BO) but wanting to mostly for Manta.

YJ cartoon is by far my favorite version. That guy was all kinds of awesome, like an underwater Darth Vader.

I gotta say though, I've never felt like the character was fleshed out as well as he could be. Even in the cartoon we don't really get a sense of how he came to be what he is. Johns gave us the whole "My name is Black Manta. You killed my father! Prepare to die!" thing, but even then it's shallow. I have a whole backstory in my head that goes back generations but if the comics ever really dug into Manta's history I've never seen it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I agree with all of this. Even down to not seeing Aquaman yet (I'll wait for the blu-ray, DCEU has let me down far too often for me to give them my money for their BO) but wanting to mostly for Manta.

YJ cartoon is by far my favorite version. That guy was all kinds of awesome, like an underwater Darth Vader.

I gotta say though, I've never felt like the character was fleshed out as well as he could be. Even in the cartoon we don't really get a sense of how he came to be what he is. Johns gave us the whole "My name is Black Manta. You killed my father! Prepare to die!" thing, but even then it's shallow. I have a whole backstory in my head that goes back generations but if the comics ever really dug into Manta's history I've never seen it.
    Yes!!! There is sooo much more potential for this guy. As it stands: he's probably one of the few villains where he goes THERE and gets straight raw. His comic look (to me) doesn't play that...and it's gotten to the point that I prefer the helmetless BM. Young Justice, movie and JLU gave me a BM look that screamed intelligent and complex sinister in the way only brothas can do (lol). I'd love to have a mini of this guy. Maybe send him to an alternate dimension so he can really cut loose. And a comic costume redesign in 2019!!!

It’s well past time that Manta got a mini series. There was a pretty good Black Manta short story in the “Beach Blanket Villains” summer special.

I thought he looked super badass in the movie but didn’t get much of a chance for character development. He’s obviously going to be the main villain in the sequel.

He was also pretty great in Injustice 2.

Last edited by Robotman; 01-02-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I liked him in the movie. One of the best parts.

Default My favorite Manta moment of all time

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It’s well past time that Manta got a mini series. There was a pretty good Black Manta short story in the “Beach Blanket Villains” summer special.

I thought he looked super badass in the movie but didn’t get much of a chance for character development. He’s obviously going to be the main villain in the sequel.

Probably one of my favorite fighters and mains outside of Black Canary and Sub-zero.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

You're going to love the movie then.

spoilers:
    In the movie we learn that his grandad was an expert frogman in WW2 who earned the codename "Manta" for his stealth. After the war he was discarded by the government (no doubt because of his race) so he turned to piracy. He taught his son everything he knew who in turn taught his son. The movie also does a better job of justifying his hate. In the comics Aquaman killed Manta's father in a fit of blind rage. In the movie he coldly leaves him to drown.
    end of spoilers

Anyway, Black Manta was awesome in the movie. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II did an amazing job with him. He may not have had a lot of screen-time but what he has is great.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Savage as heck. Aquaman needs to stop losing his hand, it's becoming a bad habit.

Incidentally I love that Black Manta is a swordsman in the movie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Where's that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    Where's that from?
    Brightest Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Oh yeah, he was a big draw for me when he was announced, and he's one of my favorite characters on the roster. Just a great balance of abilities, nice speed, he's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    You're going to love the movie then.

Anyway, Black Manta was awesome in the movie. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II did an amazing job with him. He may not have had a lot of screen-time but what he has is great.
    Nice. I gotta admit they did a much better job with the costume than I expected, from what I've seen in the trailers.

Man, I love Manta. One of my favorite things about him is how he usually just skips the villainous monologue and goes straight for the throat.

And really, he's one of the few villains who can claim to have really hurt the hero. Manta killing Arthur's son is right up there with the death of Jason Todd or Bane breaking Bruce's back or Doomsday killing Clark. Killing a kid is so f**king vile it sort of launches Manta way up the "scumbag villain" charts all on its own.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I applaud every artist who can make Manta look intimidating because that oversized helmet can easily look silly. Like Mysterio's fishbowl.

JUN120152_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

The red eye of doom, black color, the overall alien look, and the character being a butcher help though.