Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArsonoptiX View Post
    Him or Keith David....

Attachment 76084

Wish Manta looked more like this in the comics...
    Side note, Michael Beach, who voiced Devil Ray in JLU, also played Manta's dad in the AQUAMAN . And on the subject of synchronicity, Beach was also one of the hapless sailors who went down with the sub in the beginning of the James Cameron flick THE ABYSS.

Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    Side note, Michael Beach, who voiced Devil Ray in JLU, also played Manta's dad in the AQUAMAN . And on the subject of synchronicity, Beach was also one of the hapless sailors who went down with the sub in the beginning of the James Cameron flick THE ABYSS.
    Hah! I did not know that. I appreciate you passing that on. That is some seriously excellent trivia.

That's cool as hell!! Yeah Devil Ray...that's when I began to look at Manta differently...because the JLU really sold up the sinister cool of this guy. The YJ look is good as well. The injustice one...while FAR better than the comic look still leans that way. I would love to have a Manta mini in 2019/20 and just let Manta cut loose. It's probably be better to let him go to an alternate universe so could wreck shop with abandon.

I also liked the code-name of Devil Ray from JLU. I was kinda hoping that in YJ season 2, while Kaldur pretended to be on the same side as Black Manta that he would have gone by the name of Devil Ray. In the unlikely event that Black Manta ever gets a partner/side-kick, I would like the character to go by the name Devil Ray.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

If you guys could pair Manta up with any villain, who would you team him up with?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    If you guys could pair Manta up with any villain, who would you team him up with?
    Black Adam.

I'd like to see how a "noble" villain like Adam, or even Sinestro, would handle working with someone like Manta, who's just utterly unrepentant and out for his own goals rather than some larger cause (like protecting Khandaq or bringing order to the universe). I think there'd be mutual respect there; I think Manta would understand and respect the unflinching drive and focus that Adam has and I think Adam would respect Manta's grit, guts, and unapologetic attitude. But I suspect that pairing Manta, who's basically an anarchist out for his own ends, with someone who actually does believe they're working for the greater good would create a lot of fun sparks and conflict.

It might be fun to throw Manta in with someone who's just as selfish and uncaring as he is; someone like the Joker or Lobo.....but I fear that would just quickly turn into a contest to see who can out-crazy the other and that doesn't hold a ton of interest for me.

A blue collar villain, someone who's just out to make some money, like Captain Cold, could make for a fun interaction but I dunno if it could hold up for more than a scene or two? In any case, Deathstroke v Manta is a fight I really want to see. I don't know if Manta could win (without some dues ex water bodies around), but I bet he'd give Slade a real run for his money.

If I could do *any* villain I want.....Dr. Doom. I think these two could, almost paradoxically, become as close to "BFF's!" as supervillains can get. My first gut reaction was Moriarty, but Doom's close enough, but also has fun technology and magic.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Black Adam.

I'd like to see how a "noble" villain like Adam, or even Sinestro, would handle working with someone like Manta, who's just utterly unrepentant and out for his own goals rather than some larger cause (like protecting Khandaq or bringing order to the universe). I think there'd be mutual respect there; I think Manta would understand and respect the unflinching drive and focus that Adam has and I think Adam would respect Manta's grit, guts, and unapologetic attitude. But I suspect that pairing Manta, who's basically an anarchist out for his own ends, with someone who actually does believe they're working for the greater good would create a lot of fun sparks and conflict.

It might be fun to throw Manta in with someone who's just as selfish and uncaring as he is; someone like the Joker or Lobo.....but I fear that would just quickly turn into a contest to see who can out-crazy the other and that doesn't hold a ton of interest for me.

A blue collar villain, someone who's just out to make some money, like Captain Cold, could make for a fun interaction but I dunno if it could hold up for more than a scene or two? In any case, Deathstroke v Manta is a fight I really want to see. I don't know if Manta could win (without some dues ex water bodies around), but I bet he'd give Slade a real run for his money.

If I could do *any* villain I want.....Dr. Doom. I think these two could, almost paradoxically, become as close to "BFF's!" as supervillains can get. My first gut reaction was Moriarty, but Doom's close enough, but also has fun technology and magic.
    These are all dope pairings, the Doctor Doom team up would be amazing. I'd like to see them play with his machiavellian side, so teaming him up with Doom would be a perfect compliment to that. In universe, Deathstroke was a good one too. I think they did fight once but it a brief scrimmage in the water. I'd like to see Manta and Deathstroke go at it head up one time. That would be a fun issue to read in the right hands.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I noticed in Black Manta merch (toys, some art, games appearances, etc) he has a trident but does he usually have one in the comics? I don't remember him using his own trident.

currently following:

Incredible Member

One the subject of Devil Ray. One idea to include the guy into the DCU came to me from issue fifty-eight of AQUAMAN during Erik Larsen's tenure as writer on the book. It was also around this time that Black manta ,as part of a deal in selling his soul to the demon Neron. Was now a humanoid manta. Aquaman discovered Manta's old manta ship, and the bodies of his former crew, gang. One of whom was dressed in Manta's classic togs, impaled with a spear, and note with "Imposter !" written on it. Apparently with Manta away, his former gang was continuing his operations without him. Including even using the Black Manta moniker as to shift the blame to their former boss for their crimes, or use his rep for jobs. With Black Manta off on his own with the Legion of Doom, or N.E.M.O. Or consumed with his vendetta with Aquaman. I could see some of his crew going off on their own. And maybe a lieutenant in his group, second in command who kept the lights on in the operation. Decides he wants the corner office, and uses the Manta's gear. But makes some cosmetic changes, and goes by the name Devil Ray so's not to incur the boss's wrath.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

One the subject of Devil Ray. One idea to include the guy into the DCU came to me from issue fifty-eight of AQUAMAN during Erik Larsen's tenure as writer on the book. It was also around this time that Black manta ,as part of a deal in selling his soul to the demon Neron. Was now a humanoid manta. Aquaman discovered Manta's old manta ship, and the bodies of his former crew, gang. One of whom was dressed in Manta's classic togs, impaled with a spear, and note with "Imposter !" written on it. Apparently with Manta away, his former gang was continuing his operations without him. Including even using the Black Manta moniker as to shift the blame to their former boss for their crimes, or use his rep for jobs. With Black Manta off on his own with the Legion of Doom, or N.E.M.O. Or consumed with his vendetta with Aquaman. I could see some of his crew going off on their own. And maybe a lieutenant in his group, second in command who kept the lights on in the operation. Decides he wants the corner office, and uses the Manta's gear. But makes some cosmetic changes, and goes by the name Devil Ray so's not to incur the boss's wrath.
    That’s a cool idea.

Yeah, I could get down with that.

Of course, with Manta back in the armor and the Neron days long behind us, I'm not sure how much use Devil Ray would be (unless they made him the manta monster?), but I wouldn't be against him arriving in the comics at all if the writers could find a hook for him that set him apart from Manta, and treating him as more of the "businessman" trying to keep the operation going could be a solid start.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Default Black Manta, by Stjepan Šejić.

currently following:

currently following:

Boisterously Confused

I loved Ross' take on him.
    e4e299bcb45c910e2b93fae7ba217f3a.jpg
    People seem to forget something about him: he was a huge socially concious statement way back in the late 1960s.

Sure he was selfish and villainous, but racism helped make him what he became, and part of his goal was to secure a place for his people (under his absolute rule, of course). Folks rave about Magneto being an anti-hero, and lose their minds over Michael B. Jordan's complex and compelling Killmonger; Haney and Cardy gave us all that in Black Manta decades earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I loved Ross' take on him.
    e4e299bcb45c910e2b93fae7ba217f3a.jpg
    People seem to forget something about him: he was a huge socially concious statement way back in the late 1960s.

Sure he was selfish and villainous, but racism helped make him what he became, and part of his goal was to secure a place for his people (under his absolute rule, of course). Folks rave about Magneto being an anti-hero, and lose their minds over Michael B. Jordan's complex and compelling Killmonger; Haney and Cardy gave us all that in Black Manta decades earlier.
    I think the reason for that is that they swept it under the rug by writing it was all a lie to trick his subordinates or something like that. Now they've doubled down with the rage machine hate feud angle with Manta which, while one dimensional, has been plenty fun playing with. DC dropped the social conscious angle with their black characters a while ago; John Stewart is supposed to be a social activist but when was the last story where they've played to that? I don't think DC is interested in exploring social themes right now.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-20-2019 at 09:56 AM.

currently following: