Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ivan Reis draws a great Black Manta, Siren, and Aquaman. I definitely miss his art on the title. Post the DCnU reboot, I think Reis made Black Manta look great.

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Black Manta always look great in comics (at least since the New 52 but even his prior looks were great to me), but I wonder if DC will try to synergize his look with the movie's in the future ?

I mean, as far as the Aquaman books goes, the last time he played a major part was early Rebirth with N.E.M.O. and more recently, he was left for dead during Drowned Earth, if I remember right.

He needs to make a triumphant come back sooner or later.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, I could get down with that.

Of course, with Manta back in the armor and the Neron days long behind us, I'm not sure how much use Devil Ray would be (unless they made him the manta monster?), but I wouldn't be against him arriving in the comics at all if the writers could find a hook for him that set him apart from Manta, and treating him as more of the "businessman" trying to keep the operation going could be a solid start.
    Lots of superheroes have sidekicks, why not Manta? It would give Aqualad a natural enemy of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think the reason for that is that they swept it under the rug by writing it was all a lie to trick his subordinates or something like that. Now they've doubled down with the rage machine hate feud angle with Manta which, while one dimensional, has been plenty fun playing with. DC dropped the social conscious angle with their black characters a while ago; John Stewart is supposed to be a social activist but when was the last story where they've played two that? I don't think DC is interested in exploring social themes right now.
    That's a sad waste. It would be difficult to navigate without making an anti-hero of him, but it could make for really interesting stories.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Lots of superheroes have sidekicks, why not Manta? It would give Aqualad a natural enemy of his own.
    That could work too. I do enjoy a good villainous sidekick.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

How about a 6-issue Black Manta Team-Up mini-series? It could be kinda like Marvel's old Super-Villain Team-Up title, except with Black Manta every issue teaming up with one strange DC character after another.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    How about a 6-issue Black Manta Team-Up mini-series? It could be kinda like Marvel's old Super-Villain Team-Up title, except with Black Manta every issue teaming up with one strange DC character after another.
    That would be great! Having him paired off with different villains would be a really interesting read. But not the go-to's like Lex or Joker, have him try to weaponize Solomon Grundy or utilize Black Hand (bring him out the source wall) to counter Aquaman's Life Force, or team-up with Cheetah to find some amazonian/atlantian relic or something. It could be interesting.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Ivan Reis draws a great Black Manta, Siren, and Aquaman. I definitely miss his art on the title. Post the DCnU reboot, I think Reis made Black Manta look great.

See we got a good start here with the arm gauntlets...just need to angle the helmet more and throw on some chest armor. BUT this is a great look. No disrespect to the great Alex Ross, but his Manta went the way of the Superfriends look. I had always wondered why his helmet sat so high...like does he see out of the neck part and not the eyes( man I hope that makes sense)? I like the helmet to sit lower.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I loved Ross' take on him.
    Attachment 77179
    People seem to forget something about him: he was a huge socially concious statement way back in the late 1960s.

Sure he was selfish and villainous, but racism helped make him what he became, and part of his goal was to secure a place for his people (under his absolute rule, of course). Folks rave about Magneto being an anti-hero, and lose their minds over Michael B. Jordan's complex and compelling Killmonger; Haney and Cardy gave us all that in Black Manta decades earlier.
    Yep, loved the design and the racial theme Ross continued.

All-New Member

I loved Ross' take on him.
    Attachment 77179
    People seem to forget something about him: he was a huge socially concious statement way back in the late 1960s.

Sure he was selfish and villainous, but racism helped make him what he became, and part of his goal was to secure a place for his people (under his absolute rule, of course). Folks rave about Magneto being an anti-hero, and lose their minds over Michael B. Jordan's complex and compelling Killmonger; Haney and Cardy gave us all that in Black Manta decades earlier.
    IIRC, they only revealed that he was black in the late 70’s.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Sensei View Post
    IIRC, they only revealed that he was black in the late 70’s.
    Didn't realize that. Still puts him out in front of Magneto by years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That could work too. I do enjoy a good villainous sidekick.
    I don't think it would work with Black Manta. He's so single-minded when it comes to hunting down Aquaman that I can't see him caring about a sidekick.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I don't think it would work with Black Manta. He's so single-minded when it comes to hunting down Aquaman that I can't see him caring about a sidekick.
    I believe Manta as he exist now wouldn't fit but Manta when he's the head of an enterprise, as he existed in YJ for example; that could work.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I believe Manta as he exist now wouldn't fit but Manta when he's the head of an enterprise, as he existed in YJ for example; that could work.
    true.

Now, transitioning him from the savage killer to the more noble villain he was in YJ would require time, patience and craftmanship.

This is my favourite piece of Black Manta art. I love how Joshua Middleton draws him.

Geoff Johns is my favourite Black Manta writer. His origin for Manta was great and added a great dimension to his hatred of Arthur. I also love how savage his Manta is.
    Last edited by KC; 01-28-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman