Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    Okay, I've got to confess about my concerns regarding the upcoming She-Hulk series on Disney+.

I hate what the MCU has done to A LOT of my favorite characters. So, that being said, when I heard that Disney+ was doing a She-Hulk series… well, I felt a deep dread enter my stomach. It’s bad enough that Kevin Feige, the Russo Brothers, Stephen McFeeley, Christopher Markus and Taika Waititi absolutely disgraced, ruined, emasculated, destroyed, and utterly shit all over the character of Bruce Banner/The Hulk (including butchering one of, if not THE, greatest Hulk story of all-time in PLANET HULK).

They took away the power, ferocity, savagery, darkness and identity of the Hulk; the unstoppable nature of an immortal being who is rage, wrath, power and vengeance incarnate. They also belittled, demeaned, and disrespected the intelligence of Bruce Banner, who is one of the most intelligent beings in the Marvel; turning him into a goofball sidekick/assistant to Tony Stark and Thor & being disrespected by a young upstart punk kid in Shuri.

Worst of all, they took away what made Banner/Hulk unique: Their duality and the tragedy of the character.

So what’re they gonna do with She-Hulk/Jen Walters? They gonna turn her into an ugly, overly muscular, 3rd-Person-Speaking ripoff of her cousin (much like Mariko Tamaki & Jason Aaron have done)? Are they going to make up some kind of bullshit, like she’s stronger or better than her cousin to fit the current MCU trend that women are superior to men in every way rather than all heroes (regardless of gender, race, religion, politics, etc.) being equals and having flaws like we all do? Are they going to take away everything that makes Jen Walters/She-Hulk so fun, amazing, unique, powerful and interesting as a character? Are they going to diminish, belittle, demean and disgrace her feminine beauty and snarky intelligence?

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they did do such atrocities to a great character. They’ve done it to many others in the MCU, so what’s stopping them from doing it to She-Hulk/Jen Walters? Nothing. And the ignorant masses will just eat it up, as per usual when it comes to the MCU. Way I look at it, and to quote George Carlin, much like humanity, the MCU is slowly circling the drain.

Do I hope to be wrong? Yes. Will I be? Well, honestly, looking at the state that the MCU is in…. Yeah, I’m not feeling too optimistic. I miss films like Iron Man (2008), The Incredible Hulk (2008), Thor (2011), Captain America: The First Avengers, The Avengers (2012), Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Infinity War. These films got me excited, these films I enjoyed, these films made me anticipate what would come, these films made me hope for a franchise that would do justice for all my favorite characters and their respective lores/mythologies/histories and bring about the greatest stories from the comics.

But that didn’t happen. The magic vanished from the MCU. The characters and stories never came to be. And I’m afraid that the same fate will await She-Hulk and any other future character that enters the MCU. Sad, but most likely inevitable. Oh, well. At least I got the comics.
    hmm ya, I'm also worried about the she-hulk show especially cause of how big a fan I am of Jennifer. I do agree with most of your points on the whole issue, especially with how the MCU has treated Banner and concerns with how they will treat jen

Honestly, I'm in the basket of really being burnt out of superhero shows/movies and Disney is really going into the milking phase with all these fcking shows/movies one after another, and then all these rumoured shows/movies with just no end in sight. Honestly post-endgame should have had at least a year or two break to give people time to cool off and take in the completion of the epic saga started from Iron Man. Then you can start to ease us back in with new characters and stories as you set up the new MCU.

And most of the planned stuff is really looking meh to me, but then this is going into discussion for another thread so I'll stop here.
    Last edited by voidox; 08-30-2019 at 10:20 AM.