Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    They seem to be doing alright.

I find it constantly amusing that fans will claim a writer has "destroyed" a character when that writer has written a celebrated, wildly successful, character-defining run.

The myopia is astounding.
    One thing I always question when it comes to a run being celebrated is to what degree is it truth and what degree is it hyperbole? Like depending where you’re looking for statements, you’re gonna get some different answers and it seems like any time there’s anything negative to say unless it was someone taking offense to what’s been written, any criticisms are ignored and treated as invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    From the looks of upcoming issues, Jen's look will be toned down. I don't think there will be an in Universe explanation; just the artists' individual taste. This has always been the case with strength based female supers (except Supergirl) sometimes Wonder Woman is buff, sometimes she's not. Aaron is being clumsy (and yeah, getting back at his critics) but he's getting at an interesting question: In an age of body diversity and acceptance why should She Hulk look like tall, sexy eye candy painted green and not muscular, strong and still beautiful (a different kind of beauty) He sabotages the effort by giving her a default "dumb" persona not distinguishable from her male cousin. I thought the Immortal Hulk confrontation was a bit of a cheat to make her look exactly like her cousin to make the same point.
    I just really don't get why the solution wasn't just depicting her more like she is in A-Force instead of like she is in Aaron's Avengers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    ]I find it interesting that the complaints about her depiction here - that she doesn't really have it tough at all in comparison to Bruce - reflect the kind of hostile, real world dismissal that regularly takes place whenever women speak out about male aggression and being treated like a sexual object. That, you know, it's really nothing at all and they should find real things to complain about.
    I don't think people are trying to say what Jen has to go through isn't an important issue, just that it's a false equivalence comparing it to what Bruce goes through.

Especially when Jen, as She-Hulk, has the power, attitude, and charisma to engage in and deal with those issues in a way Bruce doesn't with his. It's why she's as flirty and outgoing as she is as She-Hulk, because she's taking control for herself in that kind of situation as a woman. And she's doing it in a way that's all her own and not trying to be what her cousin is.
    Will Jen ever revert to her previous persona? Surely. This is comics, after all. And, as we see, that aspect of her is still present. But I find this current approach to be an interesting one and am more than willing to see where Aaron plans to take her character. Clearly he has long range plans for her.
    One can hope it reverts soon so we're not stuck with a She-Hulk that acts like discount Hulk and won't even use her proper codename .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    One can hope it reverts soon so we're not stuck with a She-Hulk that acts like discount Hulk and won't even use her proper codename .
    Can only hope its sooner rather then later :groans:

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    They have made everything Jen's been fighting against for 30 years. Nothing more then a copy of her what her cousin has been but with boobs and a few different powers.
    Very sad.

Btw, Ulik letting She-Hu... sorry, Hulk, to beat him because he loves her!??

What an actual...

I just realized that Jen at one point issue is wearing a t-shirt saying no fun. Is it jason aaroon or the artiest taking shots at the fans that want the fun she-hulk back? Probably deadpool from earlier but seemed to be a direct message to us too.
    Last edited by Supermutant2099; 06-27-2019 at 06:33 AM.

The funny thing about that conversation with Deadpool is that, at least from a sales perspective, Jen got out of the 4th wall breaking self-referential humor game at the exact wrong time.

And yeah I find modern Deadpool overplayed and obnoxious at this point, but I can't help but feel like Jen got robbed sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    I just realized that Jen at one point issue is wearing a t-shirt saying no fun. Is it jason aaroon or the artiest taking shots at the fans that want the fun she-hulk back? Probably deadpool from earlier but seemed to be a direct message to us too.
    Definitely a deliberate shot. Hell the issue itself was titled ‘No Fun’.

I like the idea Frontier brought up about the new Hulk persona is affecting the way she looked at her old self. It has been hinted many times that there is something not quite right with her and Daredevil's warning about something big is going to happen with her but it's all wait and see for now.

Maybe TOBA is possessing her.

Probably not though.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Chances of Aaron tying in with Ewing's Green Door stuff looks slim.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by comicfan298 View Post
    I like the idea Frontier brought up about the new Hulk persona is affecting the way she looked at her old self. It has been hinted many times that there is something not quite right with her and Daredevil's warning about something big is going to happen with her but it's all wait and see for now.
    I'd like to think so but, as I often find with Aaron, he can't seem to commit one way or another as he either addresses fan complaints or doubles-down on the stuff he wants to do.

Incredible Member

I'm traditionally more of a DC guy, and I'm not in touch with current marvel at all these days, but used to casually like She-hulk and find what they done her these last two-three years disgusting. I was kind of optimistic when it looked like from some covers like the acts of evil annual(which I was thinking about picking up) it looked like she was going to be returned to normal soon. Instead, not only do they not do it, but insult the character she used to be, and all the fans who want the old her back. Needless to say I feel offended, and do not plan to pick up the annual now unless it's a continuity insert with the old classic Smart,Sassy, Strong, Self-confident,Sex-positive Jen, because I will never accept or support anything with this dumb-brute version they've apparently doubled down on for quite frankly prudish, sex-negative, regressive reasoning of "women shouldn't be sexy because heterosexual men are attracted to them". I'd also advise others to boycott this version of Jen, if you're not already, even though it's quite clear marvel couldn't care less about our money seeing as they think it's appropriate and acceptable to directly insult us and the version of the character we liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Chances of Aaron tying in with Ewing's Green Door stuff looks slim.
    Yea especially since this issue seems to completely ignore Immortal Hulk where he called her out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd like to think so but, as I often find with Aaron, he can't seem to commit one way or another as he either addresses fan complaints or doubles-down on the stuff he wants to do.
    Perhaps, Aaron is working with Al Ewing on Valkyrie and Al Ewing just established that Jen is also connected the Green Door in the latest Hulk preview, so she may have a role later in that book. So most likely have talking to each about what is going on with Jen, this is all speculation and also just to add its was confirmed in this issue of Avengers and War Scrolls that she is having memory issues.

I find it interesting that the complaints about her depiction here - that she doesn't really have it tough at all in comparison to Bruce - reflect the kind of hostile, real world dismissal that regularly takes place whenever women speak out about male aggression and being treated like a sexual object. That, you know, it's really nothing at all and they should find real things to complain about.
    You find it funny that people complaining that she doesn't have it as bad as Bruce when she in fact has never had it as bad as Bruce?

People leer at her and make catcalls. Okay. Sure. That's not nice. Bruce shows up and people call the military and they launch an all out assault. You can't say her problems are anywhere near as bad as his.