Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

When people imagine Natasha's voice in the comic books, do you hear a Russian accent when she speaks English? In most animated adaptations I've seen, she has an accent. However, Scarlett's interpretation in the movies does not.

Initially, I preferred the Russian accent, but after thinking about it, I think it makes more sense if she didn't have one. As a spy, I assume she would have been taught to speak every language in her repertoire with its respective native accent, since a Russian accent would be too conspicuous.

I don’t like her having an accent and cannot imagine her with one tbh.

She’s a spy, she has to be able to adapt and blend in.

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

scene.jpg

Run baby, run!

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    When people imagine Natasha's voice in the comic books, do you hear a Russian accent when she speaks English? In most animated adaptations I've seen, she has an accent. However, Scarlett's interpretation in the movies does not.

Initially, I preferred the Russian accent, but after thinking about it, I think it makes more sense if she didn't have one. As a spy, I assume she would have been taught to speak every language in her repertoire with its respective native accent, since a Russian accent would be too conspicuous.
    I imagine in normal conversation there is an accent...but with her training she can turn it on and off as needed.

Invincible Member

In my mind she speaks English with no accent. When I was young, I read some story where someone was actually surprised that she and Ivan were Russian. BW explained that she purposely took classes to lose it while Ivan learned English from old Bogart movies.

I hear her with a kind of posh accent. Not necessarily Russian, but it sounds different from your average American voice.

Sort of like Vanessa Marshall's voice, I guess?

I imagine her with a slight Russian accent when she's speaking naturally. As a trained spy, of course, she can adopt any sort of accent she wants when she's on the job, the same way that an actor does, but when she's not playing a part, I imagine you can hear at the very least, a hint of an accent. Anyway, her undercover jobs don't always require her to be American (as far as I remember, her first job in America was infiltrating Stark Industries, and she was clear about being Russian at the time--it would have been weird for her to not have had a Russian accent).
    Last edited by OOTCS; 06-02-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Natasha and Bucky in Captain Marvel #6.

captain marvel 6.jpg

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

I hear Scarlett's voice

Ultimate Member

There's at least one comic issue that addresses this. The guy that she's talking to is really surprised to find out that she's Russian because apparently she has virtually no accent.

As far as MCU Natasha, well they play up her guilt/remorse about her past actions a lot more than the comics do. So I can justify the lack of accent in two ways:

1. She's a master spy, so she's learned how to mask her accent (also she lives in the US and people can lose their accents over time as well).

2. She's ashamed of the stuff that she used to do, so she does everything possible to NOT resemble that person.

As for the comics, I go back and forth on it. I can see her having it or not having it depending of the particular situation. Like if she's just talking with her friends/fellow Avengers/etc, maybe she has a slight accent. But she can easily switch it off completely in other cases.

One of the things I love about ScarJo as Nat is her deep voice. It’s perfect for Natasha

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Crud View Post
    One of the things I love about ScarJo as Nat is her deep voice. It’s perfect for Natasha
    I love Vanessa Marshall for her deep and sultry Natasha voice .