Page 36 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Answers...

https://www.newsarama.com/46209-blac...-her-past.html

Homecoming is an awful story but still one of my favorites because of the great artwork.
    I really would like to see Parlov and Sienkiewicz drawing a Black Widow MAX series someday.
    Last edited by Winterboy; 07-22-2019 at 06:32 PM.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Answers...

https://www.newsarama.com/46209-blac...-her-past.html

Homecoming is an awful story but still one of my favorites because the artwork is great.
    I really would like to see Parlov and Sienkiewicz drawing a Black Widow MAX series someday.
    Pretty vague, still.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Whizbang View Post
    The panels included in the post is just one instance of how terrible the book is - instead of Natasha deciding to defect to the US herself, on her own free will, Morgan created this perfume/pheromone that basically mind-controls Natasha, has Nick Fury steal it and uses it to force Natasha to defect. Homecoming is the worst example of mansplaining feminism in superhero comics - basically Richard Morgan decided that Natasha's backstory was sexist so in order to "improve" her backstory he was going to give a backstory that was 1000% more sexist than her Silver & Bronze Age stories to show that old backstories were bad. So instead of a backstory were Natasha chose to join the KGB and chose to become a spy and then chose to defect to the US, he decided to recon all of that so she could grow in a murder orphanage with no choice but to become a spy and assassin and then was forced to defect by Fury. The whole series is about Natasha learning that her entire life was a lie, that she never had any free agency over anything she's ever done and then follows her reaction to that. Morgan's stuff is insulting & demeaning, gross & sexist, and was rightly ignored & treated as an forgotten AU by Marvel until Whedon dug it up and used it to influence his writing of MCU Natasha.
    That does sound appalling, but it's almost so bad that I can't imagine them using it in the MCU

Honestly I can't really see what Whedon used from it, except for the idea of Red Room training being dehumanising.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Sounds like Rachel Weisz is Melina Vostokoff aka Iron Maiden. I hoped her character would appear. I think she is a Black Widow villain that could use a bit of a push. I hope she wears the flexible metal armor at some point in the movie.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 07-23-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    That does sound appalling, but it's almost so bad that I can't imagine them using it in the MCU

Honestly I can't really see what Whedon used from it, except for the idea of Red Room training being dehumanising.
    Whedon used Morgan's conception of the Red Room - a brutal & dehumanizing "murder orphanage" where little girls are raised to be perfect spies & assassins - as opposed to Grayson's original concept of the Red Room as an elite KGB training program for young women. Plus Whedon took, and then twisted, Morgan's approach to Natasha's infertility. In Homecoming, Natasha discovers that she and all the Black Widows are sterile as a side effect of the chemical they were given that increased their ability to heal (and would later be attributed as the reason why she no longer ages). Whedon took what was literally an unfortunate side effect and turned into this creepy fetishitic ritual that traumaized MCU Natasha. But that's Whedon for you. =/

And I don't expect the new movie to directly draw on anything else from Homecoming (at least I hope not). My original comment was my irritation over Marvel re-releasing a new edition of Morgan's stuff instead of something like Name of the Rose or finally giving us collected editions of either Nolo or Samnee's runs.

Rachel Weisz Revealed Multiple Black Widows Appear In ‘Black Widow’
    https://fullcirclecinema.com/2019/07...-black-widows/

The cast for the film is so good that even as someone who has never had much interest in Black Widow in the comics, I plan to be there in the cinema first week. Johansson, Weisz, and Pugh - that is a very strong group of actresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The cast for the film is so good that even as someone who has never had much interest in Black Widow in the comics, I plan to be there in the cinema first week. Johansson, Weisz, and Pugh - that is a very strong group of actresses.
    I think one report said Bucky would be in it but I haven't seen any other confirmation of that.

Ultimate Member

Does Rachel Weisz ever age, jeez. She looks the same now as she did 20 years ago pretty much.

Black Widow appears in Savage Avengers

SAVAGE AVENGERS ANNUAL #1
    GERRY DUGGAN (W) • RON GARNEY (A) • Cover MIKE DEODATO
    VARIANT COVER BY RON GARNEY
    A barbarian walks into a brothel and thus begins another adventure in the life of Conan of Cimmeria. Human traffickers finally meet an immovable human. Black Widow is drawn into the intrigue by following the trail of bodies left by Kulan Gath’s henchman, and a last prayer from one of the trafficked women summons an unexpected angel, the Son Of Satan himself, Daimon Hellstrom. It’s the Marvel team-up you didn’t know you needed until now. Pre-order Savage Avengers Annual # 1 or go to hell.
    48 PGS./Parental Advisory …$4.99

THE WEB OF BLACK WIDOW #2 (OF 5)
    JODY HOUSER (W) • STEPHEN MOONEY (A) • Cover by JUNGGEUN YOON
    Variant Cover by STEPHANIE HANS
    Mary Jane Variant Cover by BEN OLIVER
    SOLDIERS. ASSASSINS. LOVERS. THE WIDOW AND THE WINTER REUNITE!
    Natasha Romanoff and Bucky Barnes have a history as long as war, companions since the Widow’s earliest days in the Red Room when both were trapped in service to the wrong side. It’s one of the greatest — and most tragic — love stories of the Marvel Universe. Now the world will try to get between them once again. And with the Widow missing memories, she may find herself losing the only person who would have forgiven her for what she has to do next.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

THE PUNISHER #16
    MATTHEW ROSENBERG (W) • Szymon Kudranski (A)
    Cover by GREG SMALLWOOD
    MARY JANE VARIANT COVER BY BELEN ORTEGA
    ZEMO DARK THIRTY!
    • New York City is under siege as the new Thunderbolts, Black Widow’s squad, mayor Fisk’s personal V.I.G.I.L. soldiers, and everyone in between get caught in the crossfire, but it all comes down to two men.
    • Punisher.
    • Zemo.
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99
    Last edited by Witchfan; 07-25-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Duggan said she will be in the next line-up.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Black Widow Movie Draws Inspiration From Logan, Terminator 2
    https://www.cbr.com/black-widow-movi...-terminator-2/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not crazy about Taskmaster's design, and Widow's new costume looks a little busy.
    I feel that the Taskmaster is better severed as Spider-Man's ally (whose actually a close friend of his parents). I feel that the Taskmaster and Spider-Man working together would be just as good as Spider-Man working with The Black Widow.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Black Widow appears in Savage Avengers

SAVAGE AVENGERS ANNUAL #1
    GERRY DUGGAN (W) • RON GARNEY (A) • Cover MIKE DEODATO
    VARIANT COVER BY RON GARNEY
    A barbarian walks into a brothel and thus begins another adventure in the life of Conan of Cimmeria. Human traffickers finally meet an immovable human. Black Widow is drawn into the intrigue by following the trail of bodies left by Kulan Gath’s henchman, and a last prayer from one of the trafficked women summons an unexpected angel, the Son Of Satan himself, Daimon Hellstrom. It’s the Marvel team-up you didn’t know you needed until now. Pre-order Savage Avengers Annual # 1 or go to hell.
    48 PGS./Parental Advisory …$4.99
    Elektra's on this team, right? Natasha and Elektra have a kind of adverserial history (have they interacted since Name of the Rose?). I'm interested in seeing what their interactions will be like.

THE WEB OF BLACK WIDOW #2 (OF 5)
    JODY HOUSER (W) • STEPHEN MOONEY (A) • Cover by JUNGGEUN YOON
    Variant Cover by STEPHANIE HANS
    Mary Jane Variant Cover by BEN OLIVER
    SOLDIERS. ASSASSINS. LOVERS. THE WIDOW AND THE WINTER REUNITE!
    Natasha Romanoff and Bucky Barnes have a history as long as war, companions since the Widow’s earliest days in the Red Room when both were trapped in service to the wrong side. It’s one of the greatest — and most tragic — love stories of the Marvel Universe. Now the world will try to get between them once again. And with the Widow missing memories, she may find herself losing the only person who would have forgiven her for what she has to do next.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    I'm so happy that they're finally addressing her missing memories. I was starting to think that it was destined to be unresolved forever. To be sure, I've enjoyed the dynamic she and Bucky currently have in their guest appearances in Punisher, Uncanny X-Men, War Avengers, etc., but I'm glad it's actually leading up to something.

THE PUNISHER #16
    MATTHEW ROSENBERG (W) • Szymon Kudranski (A)
    Cover by GREG SMALLWOOD
    MARY JANE VARIANT COVER BY BELEN ORTEGA
    ZEMO DARK THIRTY!
    • New York City is under siege as the new Thunderbolts, Black Widow’s squad, mayor Fisk’s personal V.I.G.I.L. soldiers, and everyone in between get caught in the crossfire, but it all comes down to two men.
    • Punisher.
    • Zemo.
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99
    I can't quite tell from this is Black Widow's squad is the new Thunderbolts or not. Either way, I wonder who's with her!

Looks like October will be a good month for Widow content.

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    Elektra's on this team, right? Natasha and Elektra have a kind of adverserial history (have they interacted since Name of the Rose?). I'm interested in seeing what their interactions will be like.

I'm so happy that they're finally addressing her missing memories. I was starting to think that it was destined to be unresolved forever. To be sure, I've enjoyed the dynamic she and Bucky currently have in their guest appearances in Punisher, Uncanny X-Men, War Avengers, etc., but I'm glad it's actually leading up to something.

I can't quite tell from this is Black Widow's squad is the new Thunderbolts or not. Either way, I wonder who's with her!

Looks like October will be a good month for Widow content.
    I think the Thunderbolts, Black Widow's squad, and VIGIL are three different entities.