Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Also from
    Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Volume IV (June 1985):

from Who's Who Update '87 Vol. 2 (September 1987):

and from Detective Comics Annual #2 (1989)

I miss the purple dress and green cape. Comic book characters aren't supposed to be realistic or wear something practical. If they are going to put her in pants, at least keep the cape.
    And go back to purple for the costume. Black is so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Comic book characters aren't supposed to be realistic or wear something practical.
    Why not? Says who?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Strongly disagree. I felt Anne brought a lot of fire and sassyness to the character. And who is this public that can't stand her? Just sounds like some clickbait blogger nonsense.
    No people really don't like Anne Hathaway she's seen as phony and pretentious. It's an industry thing that reached it's pinnacle around the time she hosted the Oscars, but then the overwhelming hatred for Gwyneth Paltrow eclipsed any bad feelings people had about Anne Hathaway.

I love the purple dress too but only with the booties.

catwoman.jpg

However I'm happy with Joelle Jones revamp of Catwoman's suit. The cut-outs and short gloves made something old brand new again. She understands that glamour is an essential part of Catwoman's appeal and that it can replace the overt sexiness of versions like Jim Balent's.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I love the purple dress too but only with the booties.

catwoman.jpg

However I'm happy with Joelle Jones revamp of Catwoman's suit. The cut-outs and short gloves made something old brand new again. She understands that glamour is an essential part of Catwoman's appeal and that it can replace the overt sexiness of versions like Jim Balent's.
    However, Joelle also understand that Catwoman's sex appeal is part of her character... Selina uses her sexuality as a manipulation. She has given Catwoman her curves back and isn't afraid to show off her body.

Quote Originally Posted by tbgo View Post
    However, Joelle also understand that Catwoman's sex appeal is part of her character... Selina uses her sexuality as a manipulation. She has given Catwoman her curves back and isn't afraid to show off her body.
    True, but it's done with a veneer of luxury and often overshadowed by the atmosphere and scenery. Joelle can draw a building and make it look sexy. The most dynamic part of her Catwoman isn't her body, it's her eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Why not? Says who?
    It's a medium that has a human looking alien flying around in a cape. And a detective dressed as a bat, also with a cape. Catwoman used to have a cape too. Why not now? Why take all the fun out of the costume?

It's a medium that has a human looking alien flying around in a cape. And a detective dressed as a bat, also with a cape.
    Okay? Nothing about the medium or the genre requires impracticality like that.

Catwoman used to have a cape too. Why not now? Why take all the fun out of the costume?
    Well... I for one don't think Catwoman wearing a cape is fun. What purpose would it serve in her line of work that would outweigh the hassles? I like when her outfit looks like she's actually equipped to break into places and steal things.

I could turn that last question around and ask: why not have superheroes wear costumes that are predominately functional (especially when they don't have powers)?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Okay? Nothing about the medium or the genre requires impracticality like that.

Well... I for one don't think Catwoman wearing a cape is fun. What purpose would it serve in her line of work that would outweigh the hassles? I like when her outfit looks like she's actually equipped to break into places and steal things.

I could turn that last question around and ask: why not have superheroes wear costumes that are predominately functional (especially when they don't have powers)?
    Because they would look boring. Catwoman looks boring in all black. Why does Batman need a cape? What purpose does it serve in his line of work that would outweigh the hassles?
    Why do Robin and Batgirl and Batwoman have a cape? What purpose does it serve in their line of work that would outweigh the hassles?
    Catwoman having a cape was never a problem during the 1940, 1950s, 1970s, 1980s. She could fight just fine and was just as stealthy when it came to burglary.

I think a superhero costume has several purposes. One is to tell something about them: what they do, who they associate with, and so on.

The black bodysuit that Darwyn Cooke designed served that specific purpose very well. Catwoman is a creature of stealth and shadows. She is not here to intimidate or strike fear into her opponents, and thus practicality overrode most concerns. The black bodysuit also placed her in association with a long set of secret agents, catburglars, and heist artists. Emma Peel and Modesty Blaise come to mind. The sheer focus on simple practicality here also made her stand out more compared to most other superheroines at the time, and arguably still does (as long as the artist remember to close the zipper).

The redesign also carried a narrative purpose. It told readers that this was not the Catwoman of old, the elegant thief and supervillain. Brubaker's Catwoman was far grittier and more brutal, but also a much more ambigious figure. The new costume helped to tell that.

Why does Batman need a cape? What purpose does it serve in his line of work that would outweigh the hassles?
    Gliding, extra armor, the ability to shield civilians, use as a weapon, intimidation...
    Last edited by Caivu; 01-31-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Classic DCAU short.