Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Anyone know why the steep drop in Catwoman comic books sales. For December Catwoman #6 was in 28th place but for January Catwoman #7 is down to 52nd place. Why are people losing interest in the book?
    People want Selina with Bruce, or close to Bruce and tying in with developments in his own title. This book isn't offering anything that we haven't seen already, I don't want to see Selina struggling with being a thief for the 1727745757543789323575th time, I want to see her struggle with new responsibilities as the bat-bride

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    People want Selina with Bruce, or close to Bruce and tying in with developments in his own title. This book isn't offering anything that we haven't seen already, I don't want to see Selina struggling with being a thief for the 1727745757543789323575th time, I want to see her struggle with new responsibilities as the bat-bride
    Isn't Catwoman's identity being a thief? That sort of like saying people are tired of Batman fighting crime for the 1727745757543789323575th time. No one is dropping Batman because they aren't seeing him struggle with new responsibilities
    as the cat-groom. And people seemed just fine with issues #1 thru #6.

BANNED

Yeah, thats not true at all. If anything its proximity to King's run is whats actually hurting the book at this point. The writer is spinning her wheels waiting for King to stop wasting his time and actually do something.
    Its an unreasonable expectation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Yeah, thats not true at all. If anything its proximity to King's run is whats actually hurting the book at this point. The writer is spinning her wheels waiting for King to stop wasting his time and actually do something.
    Its an unreasonable expectation anyway.
    Indeed, King should **** or get off the pot. I apologize for a being a bit vulgar but this is ridiculous.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed, King should **** or get off the pot. I apologize for a being a bit vulgar but this is ridiculous.
    Exactly, Joelle cant move forward in any direction with the character because Selina's direction has already been decided by King. Besides I'm not even sure what responsibilities being a Bat bride would entail. If she becomes an outright crime fighter and gives up being who she is then its no longer Catwoman we would be reading about.

BANNED

If she becomes an outright crime fighter and gives up being who she is then its no longer Catwoman we would be reading about.
    Good. Characters evolve. Film at Eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Isn't Catwoman's identity being a thief?
    Yes, and it's been played out. Give it a break for a couple of years, or factor it into her long overdue redemption storyline trying to reconcile that with different ideas, different responsibilities. You don't have to get rid of it completly, just try to strike a good chord with fresh developments.

That sort of like saying people are tired of Batman fighting crime for the 1727745757543789323575th time
    That's because that works for the character. Selina being a thief or on the wrong side of the law is so one-note now. It's stale, it's predictable. It holds her back.

Yeah, thats not true at all.
    An opinion isn't true?

No one is dropping Batman because they aren't seeing him struggle with new responsibilities as the cat-groom.
    But they would be interested, as the backlash to Batman#50 showed.

And Batman sells because it's Batman. Any direction you give him still means money.

And people seemed just fine with issues #1 thru #6.
    People get bored.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-03-2019 at 02:05 AM.

BANNED

Good. Characters evolve. Film at Eleven.

Yes, and it's been played out. Give it a break for a couple of years, or factor it into her long overdue redemption storyline trying to reconcile that with different ideas, different responsibilities. You don't have to get rid of it completly, just try to strike a good chord with fresh developments.

That's because that works for the character. Selina being a thief or on the wrong side of the law is so one-note now. It's stale, it's predictable. It holds her back.

An opinion isn't true?

But they would be interested, as the backlash to Batman#50 showed.

And Batman sells because it's Batman. Any direction you give him still means money.

People get bored.
    That's like retiring Batman and calling it evolution, maybe Darkseid should apply for sainthood as well while we're at it. Catwoman will never stop being a thief, sure she could fluctuate between femme fatale, pure villain, lover, criminal with a heart of gold etc but being a thief will always remain intact.

Catwoman's also been redeemed for years, so I'm not sure what redemption arc you're asking for. Seems like you want Selina to just stop being Catwoman altogether and if that happen she wouldn't exactly have a book would she?

The backlash was down to the spoilers and because King had dragged his feet over the whole affair much like he's doing now. Joelle's book cant have Selina go back to Gotham and interact with Bat villains and supporting characters because King is the one whose going to bring her back. Joelle cant have her romance Batman either because once again thats King's story, she cant have her romance anyone else nor can she do something anything noteworthy because all of it would interfere with King's plans. It all circles back to King.

The backlash was down to the spoilers and because King had dragged his feet over the whole affair much like he's doing now. Joelle's book cant have Selina go back to Gotham and interact with Bat villains and supporting characters because King is the one whose going to bring her back. Joelle cant have her romance Batman either because once again thats King's story, she cant have her romance anyone else nor can she do something anything noteworthy because all of it would interfere with King's plans. It all circles back to King.
    Yeah, I think that's the ultimate problem. We all know where the story is going to end up, and its not gonna be in the Catwoman book, so it's not allowed to advance the story or even advance the character in any real significant direction. We do get some interesting moments and looks into her past, like the stuff with her sister, but things like the new location and new supporting cast, all just feel like filler, nothing really special about them.

There's also the question of, will the book continue when she eventually moves back to Gotham, or will it end once King takes her back, making it feel even more "filler-y"? One of the upcoming issues supposedly has her interacting with the Penguin post-what happened in Batman currently, so presumably things are started to come back together soon-ish.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    One of the upcoming issues supposedly has her interacting with the Penguin post-what happened in Batman currently, so presumably things are started to come back together soon-ish.
    The Penguin arc is in play right now, he manipulates her into stealing an item for him (using Holly as the reason) and she winds up being apprehended
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-04-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Feels like he's going for a Darywn Cooke feel here.

The Penguin arc is in play right now, he manipulates her into stealing an item for him (using Holly as the reason) and she winds up being apprehended
    Ah alright, I forgot #7 came out already. Does the issue have any indication whether it takes place before or after The Tyrant Wing?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Ah alright, I forgot #7 came out already. Does the issue have any indication whether it takes place before or after The Tyrant Wing?
    I stopped following King's Batman after issue 49, so I couldn't tell.

[img]
    I hope King doesn't eventually try the wedding trick again as even if he pulls the trigger no one will care now. King has squandered any goodwill he had from the fans in relation to BatCat due to DC's deceptive marketing of that issue.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-04-2019 at 10:58 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

I hope King doesn't eventually try the wedding trick again as even if he pulls the trigger no one will care now. King has squandered any goodwill he had from the fans in relation to BatCat due to DC's deceptive marketing of that issue.
    That's probably why he wrote that "happy ending" for the pair back in 2017. He's not going to have the chance to make that canon in the mainline stuff, so he has to settle for a distant flash forward that'll likely just get contradicted by whoever takes over from him. Kind of like how Snyder has his own idea of how his Batman story should end which is also getting published.

That's the most annoying part of this: much as I dislike King's writing, to me the blame for the biggest part of that fiasco falls not on King but on the way DC "over-sold" the idea that it would actually be happening!