Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Looks like DC will waste no time to return Ivy to full villainy after her return in Heroes in Crisis as she appears with a sinister smile on the Year of Villain banner alongside Lex, Joker and other villains:
    5B9F0594-99D6-4209-9B27-F5DCFB0F7D7C.jpg
    Source
    The storyline pretty much sounds like Underworld Unleashed or the thing with the Batman who Laughs where Ivy got a people eating plant kingdom.
    Maybe it holds some surprises, but so far it looks like staight up villain Ivy is back...ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Green Ghost View Post
    Looks like DC will waste no time to return Ivy to full villainy after her return in Heroes in Crisis as she appears with a sinister smile on the Year of Villain banner alongside Lex, Joker and other villains:
    Source
    The storyline pretty much sounds like Underworld Unleashed or the thing with the Batman who Laughs where Ivy got a people eating plant kingdom.
    Maybe it holds some surprises, but so far it looks like staight up villain Ivy is back...ugh
    I dunno. I think it could just be for illustration, like Harley is usually still put on villain covers even though she isn't one anymore (technically).

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Source
    Yeah, I don't know. It could just be for looks. She's not seen in any of the titles yet. Plus, Lois is on a cover and she isn't a villain...But I hope they didn't kill her, just to not use her in a different way...
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Wasn't Ivy operating undercover in Eternal Youth to entrap greedy industrialists though? Loved her 'Dr. Daphne Demeter' pseudonym.

There has been a recurring theme where her male henchmen or male colleagues have tried to assault her early on in her career. It happened in the Poison Ivy: Year One story in Shadow of the Bat, where she had no problem getting the better of them.

Though apparently there's a little known Ivy backstory in the DCAU where she wasn't as fortunate?
    "Eternal Youth" is a pretty good example of what I mean about writers undermining Ivy's sympathy and good points with pointless evil. She targets Bruce when his company was planning on tearing down a forest for building space...except Bruce had found out and stopped the plans long beforehand and she never bothered to look further into this. What's more when Bruce lets his butler Alfred and Alfred's girlfriend go in his place as a vacation, Ivy figures she'll just turn them into plants in his place because somebody's got to be punished, right?

Eternal Youth is gorgeously animated and as an episode, kind of fun and breezy, but not much more.

House and Garden OTOH is the polar opposite with lower than usual standards of animation but a freaky interesting direction for Ivy with a surprising but perfect ending.

So it's hilarious that these two were the episodes to be featured in the BTAS: Poison Ivy VHS.

Source
    Catwoman is usually featured in these "iconic DC villains" shots too but she hasn't been a villain in any sense of the word in decades. The push for Cheetah due to the Wonder Woman 1984 movie is probably why Ivy made it in place of Selina as two femme felines would be repetitive.

Extraordinary Member

how come her cameo was silent in fatal five

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    how come her cameo was silent in fatal five
    I'm guessing they didn't want to pay a voice actress? Or something like that.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Well, I assume Tara Strong did her grunts, meaning once again she voiced both her and Harley in a movie (you can't hear Harley's giggles in that movie and tell me that's not Tara Strong) .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    "Eternal Youth" is a pretty good example of what I mean about writers undermining Ivy's sympathy and good points with pointless evil. She targets Bruce when his company was planning on tearing down a forest for building space...except Bruce had found out and stopped the plans long beforehand and she never bothered to look further into this. What's more when Bruce lets his butler Alfred and Alfred's girlfriend go in his place as a vacation, Ivy figures she'll just turn them into plants in his place because somebody's got to be punished, right?
    There is some truth to extremists not doing proper research before deciding to be judge, jury, and executioner. Also truth to these same extremists feeling that friends and family are targets as well... Ra's has good points as well, but he's also an extremist who would sacrifice countless lives on some "ends justify the means" spiel. With BTAS Ivy, she seems to be the "my way or the highway" type of person. Even in an episode like "House and Garden" she mentions that she did indeed want a family, but just wanted it on her terms (no compromises).

I guess this from Dinosaur comics has been posted here before in an earlier thread, but it deserves to be read again…

«Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    I'm guessing they didn't want to pay a voice actress? Or something like that.
    Harley was in their gigiling up a storm using moves I ve never seen her use in the bruce timm verse

She is an extremist. By definition, she has a good point but her methods crosses too many lines to be acceptable and probably undermines her cause.

DCAU Ivy was also described as a sociopath who only cared about plants and not people, except for Harley. So Ivy genuinely wanting something that any one else would want (better environment, companionship, friendship) but going about in a way that forces Batman to interfere is well within the purview of the character. Hence why she is one of my favorite villains.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

The official DC website put out an article on Ivy's character journey as part of their Brilliant Women Of Batman series (Ivy's just the second instalment after Selina).

Interestingly, she's referred to as anti-hero and superhero when the discussion comes to her current avatar.

by Gleb Melnikov