Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Poison Ivy in Harleen #1 by Stjepan Sejic:

Harleen 001-041.jpg
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

Harleen 001-041.jpg
    Ivy's not a people person .

Harleen 001-041.jpg
    Harley's gonna interview her with a laptop next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ivy's not a people person .
    I think that's sort of the default interpretation, but it's possible to do some other—and to me more interesting—ones. Like that Ivy has loads of empathy, but not only for humans but for all vegetation as well. She is berating Harleen not because Ivy lacks empathy, but because Harleen is totally lacking in empathy in how she approaches Ivy.

I also think that a place like Arkham can be absolute hell to a person like Ivy, and it's something that's been explored by several other stories (Cast Shadows being the first that comes to mind). What if Ivy still can feel the pain of the Green but is denied the joys of connecting with actual plants? It'd amount of unending torture.

Which makes me think of Harleen's hypothesis, and how Ivy would be a far better study object than most other patients at Arkham.

Hmm… maybe I should bring this over to the thread on the actual issue.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I think that's sort of the default interpretation, but it's possible to do some other—and to me more interesting—ones. Like that Ivy has loads of empathy, but not only for humans but for all vegetation as well. She is berating Harleen not because Ivy lacks empathy, but because Harleen is totally lacking in empathy in how she approaches Ivy.

I also think that a place like Arkham can be absolute hell to a person like Ivy, and it's something that's been explored by several other stories (Cast Shadows being the first that comes to mind). What if Ivy still can feel the pain of the Green but is denied the joys of connecting with actual plants? It'd amount of unending torture.

Which makes me think of Harleen's hypothesis, and how Ivy would be a far better study object than most other patients at Arkham.

Hmm… maybe I should bring this over to the thread on the actual issue.
    I think Ivy can grow to empathize more with humans but I thought the point of her psychosis and issues that maker her into a villain is just that she has difficulty empathizing with humans or people in the same way she does with plants, which makes it hard for her to equate the two (which is why someone stepping on a plant will bother her more then someone getting gunned down), but that's probably more of an issue the less human she is (so, like, green skin Ivy).

I definitely think being disconnected from plants would wreck Ivy emotionally but from a security standpoint I don't I could blame anyone from wanting to keep her away from plants if they know how her powers work. You'd have to get her to swear she won't break out or act out before you would even considering such a thing in my opinion.

I think Ivy can grow to empathize more with humans but I thought the point of her psychosis and issues that maker her into a villain is just that she has difficulty empathizing with humans or people in the same way she does with plants, which makes it hard for her to equate the two (which is why someone stepping on a plant will bother her more then someone getting gunned down), but that's probably more of an issue the less human she is (so, like, green skin Ivy).

I definitely think being disconnected from plants would wreck Ivy emotionally but from a security standpoint I don't I could blame anyone from wanting to keep her away from plants if they know how her powers work. You'd have to get her to swear she won't break out or act out before you would even considering such a thing in my opinion.
    I am really starting to wonder what their plans for Ivy are after Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. There have been a few comics now that have hinted at Ivy taking a more heroic turn going forward, I wonder if she and Harley part ways when Ivy decides to become the caretaker for the Green long term.

This doesn't necessarily make Ivy someone who would want to join the Justice League, possibly Justice League Dark, because she would still butt heads with the heroes about protecting the Green, but at the same time she might decide that she feels Luthor and his friends are damaging the world too much so Ivy has no choice but to take a definitive side in the Doom War conflict.

Anyway, I hope Ivy gets her own book, even if she has Swamp Thing or other Green connected characters in the book with her, I would love to see an exploration of Ivy being the caretaker of the Green.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I am really starting to wonder what their plans for Ivy are after Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. There have been a few comics now that have hinted at Ivy taking a more heroic turn going forward, I wonder if she and Harley part ways when Ivy decides to become the caretaker for the Green long term.
    My impression is that DC is all over the place with regards to Ivy, but also that at least some highly influential people at DC are really uncomfortable with her as a sympathetic character. Ivy as an evil seductress is safe and familiar; Ivy as an ecofeminist in today's world is a threat to the rich and powerful.

That said, unless Houser manages to pull out a miracle, turning Ivy more heroic as a result of the events in Heroes in Crisis will leave a seriously sour taste. So much of Ivy's story has been on the violence of men against women, children, and nature. Her long-term redemption has been built on protecting women, children, and nature. Having her final turn to good be predicated on her being killed by a man, and then resurrected by him to some sort of empty vessel to be filled with good would go against just about everything that the character stands for. From a purely narrative standpoint, the only honest result for me would be that she went full-on supervillainess and pulling out all the stops.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    There's a whole twitter campaign about it with the hashtag #PoisonIvyIsMyHero
    I like her as a villain so idk

Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post
    There's a whole twitter campaign about it with the hashtag #PoisonIvyIsMyHero
    I like her as a villain so idk
    I remember all that controversy on Twitter over her killing those thugs during the War of Jokes and Riddlers (and how much Tom King bended over backwards to walk back from it for "Everyone Loves Ivy").

I also remember some controversy over Ivy being a villain again in the new DCSHG instead of a hero like she was in the old one, even if I find the reboot version more true-to-character.

Ivy will have a story in November's Batman: Giant #2:

"Batman is hot on the trail of a series of murders in Brazil, where government officials and various captains of industry have been mysteriously murdered by their own bodyguards," reads DC's description. "As the Dark Knight starts assembling the pieces of the puzzle, he notices the thing all these victims have in common is a connection to the logging industry, a penchant for bribes...and Poison Ivy!"

Stjepan Sejic makes sure that Poison Ivy is up on modern slang!

ETA: Sorry for the small image. Follow the link for much better quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kjn; 11-01-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Stjepan Sejic makes sure that Poison Ivy is up on modern slang!

ETA: Sorry for the small image. Follow the link for much better quality.
    That's a placeholder, right ?

The mismatched legs reminds me of JLA Ivy.

BANNED

If only Ivy's popularity with celebrities and cosplayers reflected her actual prominence in the comics...

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post

If only Ivy's popularity with celebrities and cosplayers reflected her actual prominence in the comics...
    I think Cheryl Blossom also dressed as Ivy for a recent Riverdale episode.

BANNED

I think Cheryl Blossom also dressed as Ivy for a recent Riverdale episode.

The look is on point, but I don't think Ivy would be a vegan. People eating plants is kind of backwards for her.