Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Frank the Plant is a Venus Flytrap on the show.

Though I agree that surprisingly, artists and cartoons under-utilize the floral motifs/visuals for Ivy that would look fascinating, instead opting for the vines and branches (I guess they are easier to draw and animate, and they would be more tactile and dynamic as weapons vs. Venus flytraps and giant flowers). It should be a good balance of both IMO.
    It's easier and non-lethal which is what they want to sell Ivy these days. Back then, the traps have teeth and can straight up eat people. The one in her first episode of BTAS version came to mind.

Lol I still remember the oddly erotic and unsettling sound that Pretty Poison flytrap made when Batman ripped it apart.

Frank the Plant is a Venus Flytrap on the show.

Though I agree that surprisingly, artists and cartoons under-utilize the floral motifs/visuals for Ivy that would look fascinating, instead opting for the vines and branches (I guess they are easier to draw and animate, and they would be more tactile and dynamic as weapons vs. Venus flytraps and giant flowers). It should be a good balance of both IMO.
    In THE BATMAN, although I didn't love her look, her power display was incredible and she made fun and inventive use of different kind of Flora...vines, branches, trees, flowers even bonsai....
    A picture would last longer darling...

I think they had a pretty effective display of Ivy's vine powers in the latest Harley Quinn episode, where she comes in and saves Harley from Batman and conjures up two vine whips that she smacks him around with.

She did a lot better against Bats then Harley did.

Lol I still remember the oddly erotic and unsettling sound that Pretty Poison flytrap made when Batman ripped it apart.
    Me too. B:TAS Poison Ivy is still the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they had a pretty effective display of Ivy's vine powers in the latest Harley Quinn episode, where she comes in and saves Harley from Batman and conjures up two vine whips that she smacks him around with.

She did a lot better against Bats then Harley did.
    The show has pretty much cemented Ivy as the most powerful/super-powered person in Gotham. And consider that she's actually holding back her full potential because of what happened to the Queen of Fables, which she views as a cautionary tale for female villains who become too big of a threat.

I'm curious does Ivy eat greens too? I mean she drinks coffee which are beans. So she wouldn't be a vegan or anything?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious does Ivy eat greens too? I mean she drinks coffee which is beans. So she wouldn't be a vegan or anything?
    Some people think that because she's half-plant she shouldn't eat plant produces because it's cannibalism, but she's more Mother Nature than anything. She approves of human who eats produces that are farmed properly, like fruits and cabbages, as those are meant to be consumed, and the seeds can be used to plant more. It's part of nature.

The one she hates are spoilers of nature. Pollutants, loggers, or people who pick or ruin plants or flowers for no reason.

I think there is one instance where she eats food made from insects though, like insect-eating plants, but I forget where.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I think there is one instance where she eats food made from insects though, like insect-eating plants, but I forget where.
    Was it Paul Dini's TNBA-verse Harley and Ivy mini from back in the day? She was doing all kinds of things in that book (though it was later revealed the Ivy in the mini was a plant clone).

The show has pretty much cemented Ivy as the most powerful/super-powered person in Gotham. And consider that she's actually holding back her full potential because of what happened to the Queen of Fables, which she views as a cautionary tale for female villains who become too big of a threat.
    I think it's been clear for a long while that Poison Ivy is too big a character for Gotham power-wise.

Sadly, the way the show handles this has been to make her far too passive, and into some garden-variety housewife and homekeeper. In a way, I think the show writers have this vision of her as a woke modern ecofeminist, but they themselves are only capable of imagining strawmen of such a character. (Ivy's call for not washing PET bottles before recycling is a case in point.)
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

It's not like career women and men don't send PET bottles for recycling, so don't see how it's just a "housewife thing". IMO the show is doing a much better job with Ivy than Harley's solo comic did.

Speaking of Ivy in Harley focused media, just finished reading Harleen #3 and man is Ivy used perfectly in the story. She isn't in the three-parter much but she has been great whenever she appeared. Hope they are really considering Sejic's Isley series as Andy Khouri teased on Twitter last week.

I mean with the way they use Ivy. I guess she is slightly more neutral now. She isn't going to kill children or the innocent.

It's not like career women and men don't send PET bottles for recycling, so don't see how it's just a "housewife thing". IMO the show is doing a much better job with Ivy than Harley's solo comic did.

Speaking of Ivy in Harley focused media, just finished reading Harleen #3 and man is Ivy used perfectly in the story. She isn't in the three-parter much but she has been great whenever she appeared. Hope they are really considering Sejic's Isley series as Andy Khouri teased on Twitter last week.
    The PET bottles for recycling were referencing back to the show trying to depict Ivy as a modern woke eco-feminist, but only creating a caricature or strawman of one.

Yeah, Harleen is great. From what I can tell from Sejic's various posts, he first has his main Harley story (in three arcs each of three issues) to tell if sales hold. I doubt Ivy will have a big part in the next arc, but she will have a rather big one in the concluding part. And his Isley story as a possible followup to that.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I thought the Isley series is next as that's the one Andy Khouri teased last week: https://twitter.com/andykhouri/statu...60899477934080

From a narrative sense, the Ivy series being next, after Harleen Vol. 2, or concurrently with Harleen Vol. 2 would make the most sense so that both Harley and Ivy are incredibly well fleshed out going into the Thelma and Louise inspired Harleen Vol. 3 (at which point it could be Harleen and Ms. Isley or the Sejic equivalent of a Harley and Ivy title).

I had the opposite impression, and from the point of view of DC editorial, I think a Harley-focused nine-parter (in three arcs) with perhaps an Ivy three-part followup is an easier thing to pitch than first a Harley-focused six-parter, then an Ivy three-parter, followed by a concluding Harley-focused three-parter.

But I think that's something for Sejic and Khouri to work out.