Astonishing Member

Default Cthulhu gets dimension dump to ...

When he rises from R'lyeh - by some magic mojo by the good guys, he gets dimension dumped into several alternate universes.

He plops into the ocean and sinks to the floor. Can he be successful there or just stay on the bottom and eat shrimp. In the scenario, he can either be detected on the way in or manage a stealth landing.

a. Mikdemia or Kelewan. You can have the Academy and Pug working together on Kelewan (before he left it). On Mikdemia, you can have the Valherhu active or not.

b. A major Culture world's ocean

c. Star Trek Pacific during TNG

d. DBZ

e. Star Wars - Coruscant

f. I thought about Dune - but a desert world seems unfair

g. Earth from the Galactic Patrol Lensmen books

I don't want these to be a stomp but tough worlds outside of the normal Lovecraftian antagonists.

If he just gets vaporized, I apologize. In the Frank Belknap Long books that were in the approved continuity, Cthulhu did take an H-bomb and just went back to sleep.

The Culture world seems harsh. Even the ordinary citizens have enough tech and genetic modifications in their body and mind to be at least somewhat inured to him, let alone Special Circumstances operatives. But then you remember that everything is run by the Minds, who would be completely and utterly immune to his mindfuckery, and whose moral compasses can point in all directions such that they’d be perfectly content to (and easily physically capable of, especially in a tooled-up GOU or ROU) destroy a world to prevent the spread of something cancerous like Ole Squid Lips.

There are too many checks and balances for the Trek verse to work fully in his favour.

But Coruscant? That could definitely work.

In the Frank Belknap Long books that were in the approved continuity
    "the approved continuity" of what?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    "the approved continuity" of what?
    Of Lovecraftian Canon.

Regardless though, you're putting a guy who at best can shrug off an old H-Bomb, in settings where H-Bombs are laughably weak.

Not sure what the idea here was.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Of Lovecraftian Canon.
    There's no such monkey. Cthulhu is a public domain character. The only thing you can really view as canon are Lovecraft's actual works on the thing. Otherwise it's all just public domain works.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Regardless though, you're putting a guy who at best can shrug off an old H-Bomb, in settings where H-Bombs are laughably weak.
    But do they have boats?

Astonishing Member

Most of these places aren't gonna be sweating Lovecraft.

Astonishing Member

Long was a good friend of Lovecraft. Howard approved of his Mythos stories. Thus, I included the feat as being more legit than just later public domain writings.

So, poor Cthulhu is just knocked to the side by these universes? Doesn't even have a chance in the Feist worlds?
    Last edited by Captain Smith; 01-03-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I know the most likely outcome is for him to be vaporized by ships in orbit but it would be totally amusing if he ended up a Federation citizen and wearing a Starfleet uniform.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Astonishing Member

Maybe they could put him in the transparent aluminum tank that Scotty built on that Klingon ship and take him for a ride.

Astonishing Member

Cthulhu: The Search For Dignity

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Cthulhu: The Search For Dignity
    Implying I had that to begin with.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

*cue R'lyeh rising from the Pacific with Cthulu on its highest spire looking off into the distance. Upon looking down he sees a little white boat with a man in it. Strangely, the man is not going insane. Nor is he showing any signs of fear or stress*

Man: *stops rowing, moves to the bow of his boat, and takes out a small lunch*

Cthulu: *Ahf' fuck ah llll bug geb*

Man: *fiddles with a gadget, then replies in perfect R'Lyehian* "Greetings, Great Old One. My name is Jean Luc Picard, Federation Captain, retired. I am communicating with you through this," *holds up his old service badge* "...a universal translator. I bid you welcome to the 23rd Century."

Cthulu: "23rd..."

*Starships almost the size of R'lyeh itself descend through the clouds, surrounding the city*

Picard: "We have explored the cosmos and encountered many peoples, many civilizations. We have gone where no-one from this Earth has gone before. We have even encountered beings that our ancestors, who lived beside you, would have enshrined in alters, to be worshiped as Gods. Our perspective has grown since then."

Cthulu: *looks around at the tiny humans running onto the hulls of the great ships, to see him for themselves. Some even wave.* "Y' mgr'luh"

Picard: "Will you not join us, Great Old One, here in the future?"

Cthulu: *begins to stand, and looks into the distance at the space-scraping towers of the Californian skyline, so tall they are still visible beyond the horizon.*
    Last edited by T51R; 01-05-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Maybe they could put him in the transparent aluminum tank that Scotty built on that Klingon ship and take him for a ride.
    Star Trek: The Non-Euclidian Shape of Water.