Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Not strictly a villain, but we could use some 5th Dimension wackiness in Gotham with Bat-Mite. Someone that has strangely been absent barring a flashback in the Rebirth Superman line when Mxy popped back up.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oooh... I don't know about Bat-Mite. Didn't people get annoyed when he showed up in RIP? Even though it's just a hallucination? I think it's fine when the Batman world they established right of the bat has magic and wackiness in it, but if the Batman world they establish is serious business, or at least down to earth, then it won't fit.

Yes, I realize they have Mr. Freeze, Clayface, and Poison Ivy when I said certain Batman world is down to earth or serious business, but they can be made down to earth if they lack their more extreme powers or horror monsters if they want to keep the power and make it serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    I would be intrigued with a modern depiction of Dr. Tzin Tzin.
    I might tweak the name to “Doctor Sin” to attempt to make it more foreboding and relegate “Tzin-Tzin” to his real name, but other than that I agree.

Astonishing Member

I'd like to see the return of the Globe.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I really want to see a new version of Signal Man just to how an interaction between him and Duke would go.

Seriously I find Duke going by the Signal to be more ridiculous and crazy than a guy called Signal Man. What's with new characters being named after Bat equipment? Batwing, (Bat)Signal, are we gonna have a new character called Batarang or Batcomputer?
    At least they have some sort of code name rather than just going by their regular name. Signal and Signal Man aren’t even that ridiculous. Signal has connotations outside of the bat signal. Batwing also has multiple meanings.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    At least they have some sort of code name rather than just going by their regular name. Signal and Signal Man aren’t even that ridiculous. Signal has connotations outside of the bat signal. Batwing also has multiple meanings.
    What other meanings are there for Batwing other than a literal bat wing in a universe where the plane is also called the batwing?

Yeah The Signal can come from somewhere else but it's hard to ignore the fact that Batman and The Signal are called into action by the Bat-Signal.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

What’s wrong with a literal bat wing? It describes a close ally to Batman and is also a decent moniker in its own right.

Both Batwing and Signal were clearly intentional in their usages as you have described them. They both draw heavily from Batman in terms of how they became heroes in the first place and that is reflected in their names, while their names also make sense as stand alones. As Batwing would also be a combination of Batman and Nightwing, which any person who wants to become a hero could do as those are very public images.

The next most likely name would be Night Bat, if this line of thinking is to be followed. I think their names were chosen because they have such heavy Batman imagery associated with them. Names are hard to come with at this point with so many heroes running around, and these 2 are far better than Batcomputer which is probably why they didn’t go with that. Although, “Batarang”? You might be on to something there....

What’s wrong with a literal bat wing? It describes a close ally to Batman and is also a decent moniker in its own right.

Both Batwing and Signal were clearly intentional in their usages as you have described them. They both draw heavily from Batman in terms of how they became heroes in the first place and that is reflected in their names, while their names also make sense as stand alones. As Batwing would also be a combination of Batman and Nightwing, which any person who wants to become a hero could do as those are very public images.

The next most likely name would be Night Bat, if this line of thinking is to be followed. I think their names were chosen because they have such heavy Batman imagery associated with them. Names are hard to come with at this point with so many heroes running around, and these 2 are far better than Batcomputer which is probably why they didn’t go with that. Although, “Batarang”? You might be on to something there....
    I didn't say there was anything about being named after a bat wing. The problem is the lazy naming.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Retired

Doctor Death and the Monk have had modern day updates, but I don't think anyone ever did a story of the Duc d'Orterre, after his appearance in 'TEC 34. You would think Grant Morrison would have used him as he's such an oddball villain. I really like Duc and would love to see him become a major Batman villain.

Batarang could definitely end up as someones name and it probably will be in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Batarang could definitely end up as someones name and it probably will be in the future.
    If someone is named Batarang, I'll give up on DC. Imagine being that creatively bankrupt and working at one of the big 2.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Batarang will be black too. Maybe a girl. What's Tiffany Fox doing these days?

Imagine if the whole Fox family become Bat-family members based on Bat items

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

I was thinking about stories that would work or make sense with characters named after bat equipment. I got a couple after thinking for a bit. (These are all dumb ideas.)

After the bat family is captured and mind wiped they have to use their overly labeled bat equipment to escape a brand new villain that they don't remember. Not knowing who they are they take on the name of the specific piece of equipment they use.

In the future, Terry McGinnis is killed by some Jokerz. His brother finds his utility belt that only has a single batarang in it and becomes Batarang Beyond!

Utility Belt: A series (or mini) that focuses on some Bat-Mite mischief where he makes Batman's equipment come to life. Toy Story but Batman.

Same concept as Utility belt but instead of just coming alive, they become real people. It's then a noir style murder mystery focusing on which piece of equpiment killed Alfred. Dun dun duuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Astonishing Member

I didn't say there was anything about being named after a bat wing. The problem is the lazy naming.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    If someone is named Batarang, I'll give up on DC. Imagine being that creatively bankrupt and working at one of the big 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

If there's a Captain Boomerang, then why not a Captain Batarang?

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    If there's a Captain Boomerang, then why not a Captain Batarang?
    I love it. Save that for an Elseworld tale.