Page 12 of 74 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Daredevil The Man WIthout Fear #1 Oct 1993
    "Daredevil: The Man Without Fear"
    Matt Murdock grows up in Hell's Kitchen.
    A police officer is lecturing a number of children in the neighborhood because they were using a fire hydrant to cool down.
    Matt, wearing a mask, rides by on his skateboard and steals the cop’s nightstick.
    He hides it in the gym his father, “Battlin’” Jack Murdock, trains in.

His father is a boxer, but tonight he is alone. He is holding a photograph crying over a woman named Maggie. Matt helps him to bed.

At the gym Jack is being beaten up by Slade. The Fixer is trying to offer him a job as an enforcer, but Jack refuses.
    Jack tells them they can kill him, but he won’t work for them. Fixer tells him he won’t only kill Jack, but he will kill his son Matt as well.
    Jack continues to box, but when he isn't in the ring, he is collecting for the Fixer.

Jack wants his son to study and make something out of himself, not to be anything like him.
    Matt comes home from school one afternoon proud of himself.
    A boy was picking on him and he stood up for himself and fought back. Jack is upset and hits Matt.
    This sends Matt down a path to learn the rules and laws. To see people held accountable for their actions.
    Matt spends his time studying. When he is picked on at school, he just stands there and takes it.
    Though he doesn't fight, he spends the time he isn't studying at the gym training.

On a picture perfect day, Matt sees the last thing he will ever see.
    A blind man is crossing the street and there's a truck heading straight to him.
    In a second, Matt reacts and jumps to push the man out of the way.
    The truck swerves and the barrels in the back crash to the street, spilling the contents into Matt’s eyes.
    Matt is rushed to the hospital in much pain. Eventually the pain goes away, but he is blind.
    The rest of his senses are heightened to superhuman levels. He is visited by a nun while in the hospital.

Back at home he overhears his father talking with representatives from the company whose chemicals ended up into Matt’s eyes.
    They threaten him with exposing his connection with the Fixer. Matt is pitied by all except for one, Stick.
    Stick, who is also blind, begins to train Matt on how to use his other senses.
    Matt excels and begins to be able to do things he couldn't do when he could see.

Jack is jogging, training for his next fight. He is stopped by the Fixer. The Fixer tells him that he hadn't earned any of his knockouts.
    That he had been fixing his fights for a while now. Setting him up for a big fall.
    He wants Jack to take a dive in his next fight so that he can make a bundle.
    During the fight Jack is in his corner and one of the Fixer’s men comes up to him and tells him to take a fall.
    He decides he’s not going to and Jack knocks out his opponent. He knows his son is watching and he wants to show him to never quit.

Jack walks out of the arena into an alley. Waiting for him is Fixer and a number of his men. They beat Jack to within an inch of his life.

He is bloodied and toothless, but he still offers up a smile. Fixer puts his gun in Jack’s mouth and pulls the trigger.

Script by Frank Miller, pencils by John Romita Jr., inks by Al Williamson. Introduction by editor Ralph Macchio.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    John Romita Jr at his best, thanks to Al Williamson's inks.

Man Without Fear #4 was a pretty good read with some decent art by Paolo Villanelli. Interesting musings by Fisk.

spoilers:
    Matt may just turn around and once again have the will to fight thanks to Fisk's gloating. He really struck a nerve or two.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Pleasantly surprised by Man Without Fear. It's an interesting character study. But I can't wait to have Szarsky take over. I think it will be a legendary run!
    Yeah, Marvel and Chip himself are really playing up the relaunch. I think it's going to be something really special. He hasn't written anything at Marvel that I haven't loved and Checchetto is a legitimate monster.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Yeah, Marvel and Chip himself are really playing up the relaunch. I think it's going to be something really special. He hasn't written anything at Marvel that I haven't loved and Checchetto is a legitimate monster.
    Talk about a stellar team. Zdarsky's biggest strength is how he get the characters voices, so I can't wait to see what he does with Matt and his supporting cast!

In depth interview with Chip and Marco (with some preview pages). Looks like Matt is headed for some more dark times.

https://www.cbr.com/daredevil-interv...ky-checchetto/

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Bring it on!
    One hope is that we have this creative team for a good long while. It’s be nice to see Checchetto on one book for a long time.

In depth interview with Chip and Marco (with some preview pages). Looks like Matt is headed for some more dark times.

Not too bad!

THE DEVIL OF HELL'S KITCHEN by MACK (freelance illustrator):

DAREDEVIL/SPIDER-MAN Comission by JOHN GROSJEAN:

DAREDEVIL by JOHN GROSJEAN:

Extraordinary Member

Those're my favorite times for ol' DD!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    DAREDEVIL/SPIDER-MAN Comission by JOHN GROSJEAN:

Thanks for sharing Raffi, this among my favorite comic book friendships.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Daredevil The Man WIthout Fear #1 Oct 1993
    "Daredevil: The Man Without Fear"
    Matt Murdock grows up in Hell's Kitchen.
    A police officer is lecturing a number of children in the neighborhood because they were using a fire hydrant to cool down.
    Matt, wearing a mask, rides by on his skateboard and steals the cop’s nightstick.
    He hides it in the gym his father, “Battlin’” Jack Murdock, trains in.

His father is a boxer, but tonight he is alone. He is holding a photograph crying over a woman named Maggie. Matt helps him to bed.

At the gym Jack is being beaten up by Slade. The Fixer is trying to offer him a job as an enforcer, but Jack refuses.
    Jack tells them they can kill him, but he won’t work for them. Fixer tells him he won’t only kill Jack, but he will kill his son Matt as well.
    Jack continues to box, but when he isn't in the ring, he is collecting for the Fixer.

Jack wants his son to study and make something out of himself, not to be anything like him.
    Matt comes home from school one afternoon proud of himself.
    A boy was picking on him and he stood up for himself and fought back. Jack is upset and hits Matt.
    This sends Matt down a path to learn the rules and laws. To see people held accountable for their actions.
    Matt spends his time studying. When he is picked on at school, he just stands there and takes it.
    Though he doesn't fight, he spends the time he isn't studying at the gym training.

On a picture perfect day, Matt sees the last thing he will ever see.
    A blind man is crossing the street and there's a truck heading straight to him.
    In a second, Matt reacts and jumps to push the man out of the way.
    The truck swerves and the barrels in the back crash to the street, spilling the contents into Matt’s eyes.
    Matt is rushed to the hospital in much pain. Eventually the pain goes away, but he is blind.
    The rest of his senses are heightened to superhuman levels. He is visited by a nun while in the hospital.

Back at home he overhears his father talking with representatives from the company whose chemicals ended up into Matt’s eyes.
    They threaten him with exposing his connection with the Fixer. Matt is pitied by all except for one, Stick.
    Stick, who is also blind, begins to train Matt on how to use his other senses.
    Matt excels and begins to be able to do things he couldn't do when he could see.

Jack is jogging, training for his next fight. He is stopped by the Fixer. The Fixer tells him that he hadn't earned any of his knockouts.
    That he had been fixing his fights for a while now. Setting him up for a big fall.
    He wants Jack to take a dive in his next fight so that he can make a bundle.
    During the fight Jack is in his corner and one of the Fixer’s men comes up to him and tells him to take a fall.
    He decides he’s not going to and Jack knocks out his opponent. He knows his son is watching and he wants to show him to never quit.

Jack walks out of the arena into an alley. Waiting for him is Fixer and a number of his men. They beat Jack to within an inch of his life.

He is bloodied and toothless, but he still offers up a smile. Fixer puts his gun in Jack’s mouth and pulls the trigger.

Script by Frank Miller, pencils by John Romita Jr., inks by Al Williamson. Introduction by editor Ralph Macchio.
    This series was pretty good, especially thanks to Romita's artwork, but those retcons to Elektra were a bit weird.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    This series was pretty good, especially thanks to Romita's artwork, but those retcons to Elektra were a bit weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    John Romita Jr at his best, thanks to Al Williamson's inks.
    Agreed. For me, both Hearts of Darkness and especially Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear cemented JRJR as an all-time favorite artist.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-25-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.