Page 13 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

MARVEL KNIGHTS 20th #6 Preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/darede...20TH-6-Preview

Very intrigued as to what the outcome will be.

Daredevil by Chris Samnee

Having Soule's Daredevil in Omnibus format would be awesome. It's great someone brought it up to him and he responded. Let's hope Marvel do something with it.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Frank Miller!!!

Daredevil The Man Without Fear #4 Jan 1994
    4-page introduction illustrated with panels from past issues of Man Without Fear

It's a wonder he isn't a villain.

He's got every excuse. Born to poverty. A broken family. A childhood spent in a squalid slum.
    Hounded and taunted and beaten by schoolyard bullies.
    To top it all off he gets struck in the eyes by toxic waste and blinded for life.

Blinded, bullied, impoverished. Surrounded by calamity.

Role models? His mother. An enigma. Long gone by the time he could walk.
    His father. A well-meaning loser who paid for his greatest moment of courage when a bullet splattered his brains across a grimy alley wall.
    His teacher. A gruff, foul-mothed warrior who showed him the beauty in his dark world, then dismissed him as a wretched failure.

His love life? Nothing short of disastrous.

He's got all the makings of a villain. He's a natural born rascal, a mischief-maker, a scrapper.
    He's a liar, who wears a mask to betray the solemn oath he made to his father a thousand times.
    He's a dangerous adept, gifted with a nearly superhuman talent for violence.
    He's a loner, a sinner, a lawyer who breaks the law.

And then there's that wicked temper of his.

He's got every excuse in the world. And within him are the makings.

But Matt Murdock is no villain, and no victim.
    There's something strong inside him, passed from unknown mother and doomed father to son.
    Something tested by tragedy. Tempered by conscience. Honed by discipline.
    Something that holds back the bloodthirsty beast within and forces it to serve the cause of justice.

Most of the time, anyway.

Of course his quest is a tortured one, fraught with faulure and guilt and pain.
    It has to be that way. Nothing ever comes easy for Matt Murdock.
    But every ordeal is another step in his crooked path from naughty little street kid to improbable champion.

A tortured quest. One that leaves him far from perfect.

He may never join the holy order his teacher hinted at.

But he will do the best he can, this hero.

He'll fight the bullies till the day he dies.

by Frank Miller http://www.comicsreporter.com/index...._frank_miller/

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Am I right in thinking Millers run starts in #168?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Miller's run as a writer starts in #168. His run as the artist started in #158 when it was written by Roger McKenzie. I think you can start with #168 and do just fine, but it does build on some earlier elements. You also could read earlier and just keep in mind that it's not Miller writing. If you're unfamiliar with the character and his backstory, I usually recommend people read #164 first because it's a recap of his origin. Of the remaining issues, there's a lot of value in reading #159-161, 163-164, and 168. #159 is a continuation of a story with Miller taking over the final part, #162 is pencilled by Steve Ditko, not Miller, #165 is a fine story but pretty inconsequential, and #167 is filler.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Miller's run as a writer starts in #168. His run as the artist started in #158 when it was written by Roger McKenzie. I think you can start with #168 and do just fine, but it does build on some earlier elements. You also could read earlier and just keep in mind that it's not Miller writing. If you're unfamiliar with the character and his backstory, I usually recommend people read #164 first because it's a recap of his origin. Of the remaining issues, there's a lot of value in reading #159-161, 163-164, and 168. #159 is a continuation of a story with Miller taking over the final part, #162 is pencilled by Steve Ditko, not Miller, #165 is a fine story but pretty inconsequential, and #167 is filler.
    Awesome. Thanks. Read before but wanting to have a reread and couldn’t remember!

Yeah, every time I re-read it, I'm actually surprised at how good it is. I've always thought it was a good story, but I find something new to like each time.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Elektra by Nic Klein

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    In depth interview with Chip and Marco (with some preview pages). Looks like Matt is headed for some more dark times.

https://www.cbr.com/daredevil-interv...ky-checchetto/
    Marco Checchetto: "......For Daredevil, I'm playing a lot with shadows and silhouettes to accentuate his darkness. For Matt, I was inspired by the young Robert Redford of The Three Days of the Condor."

Sounds interesting - a very Miller/Janson/Mazzucchelli look. Three Days of the Condor is one of my favourite Robert Redford movies. It made quite an impact on me when I first saw it back in the 1980s. Redford would have made a pretty good Matt Murdock.

Checchetto is going to KILL this.

I'm glad they're looking to Robert Redford for the design of the character, which is my definitive Matt Murdock as well.

An interesting article was posted on CBR today about Bengal, the fill-in character from Daredevil #258. Since this was a fill-in issue in the middle of the Typhoid Mary Saga, I initially wrote it off. However, when I read the issue, I was shocked that I enjoyed it as much as I did. It draws on Brother, Take My Hand and the character of Willie Lincoln and tells an interesting story. Apparently, the character continued on after that by Fabian Nicieza and then others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'm glad they're looking to Robert Redford for the design of the character, which is my definitive Matt Murdock as well.

An interesting article was posted on CBR today about Bengal, the fill-in character from Daredevil #258. Since this was a fill-in issue in the middle of the Typhoid Mary Saga, I initially wrote it off. However, when I read the issue, I was shocked that I enjoyed it as much as I did. It draws on Brother, Take My Hand and the character of Willie Lincoln and tells an interesting story. Apparently, the character continued on after that by Fabian Nicieza and then others.
    Yes, interesting piece. Good to know Bengal chose the "straight and narrow". I always felt he had a raw deal and didn't deserve to stay a super-villain.