Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Vol. 6 #1 is great. Establishes huge potential for this new volume and I'm loving the layers that Zdarsky's clearly aware of Matt Murdock having along with how well he handles them. There's so much already presented that has a lot of narrative appeal depending on where it's taken, from the state Matt's in to flashbacks and what could be coming to his near future.

There's a very mindful nod to Miller's Man Without Fear in the issue, but there's also a more subtle one to me in the way Matt looks, period. Shaggy hair and the scruff to him makes this Matt look like a grown up version of the boy from Miller's classic miniseries, and in a lot of ways this feels like something taken out of a timeline in the future of that classic story.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Thanks Mike but that was a link to our thoughts on the conclusion of the Man Without Fear mini-series, not the Marvel Knights 20th mini-series
    Oh, woops. I posted my thoughts, but it must have been elsewhere. Short version, I kinda thought the ending sucked. Certainly, it wasn't earned.

I'm going to post my full thoughts like I post over at the Man Without Fear fan forum rather than just a short version:

I liked this issue a ton. For a first issue, it seems to be trying to make a statement. In particular, it focused a lot on exploring Matt's past through three separate scenes. First, him as a kid breaking his father's commands not to fight back. The use of religion and following man's law and when it's OK to break the law to help someone are all explored. I'm not saying this is Daredevil #191, but it's still a great statement. Then we get Matt after he was blind. This one is much more on the faith aspect of it. Finally, we get to explore Matt as vigilante and whether he's doing this to help people or more of an addiction. Common themes for the character, but handled well. I hope we can see more of it going forward.

Speaking of that last part, we explore it quite a bit with a new character - Detective Cole North. He's definitely set up as someone with a different view than Matt. I do think a cop that doesn't like superheroes is well-worn. I'd love it if they freshened it up - how about a defense attorney who has a problem with them or a community organizer? Still, since we're in the reign of Mayor Fisk, it makes a ton of sense.

Obligatory legal quibble: Daredevil says there was a robbery in progress. For this, I refer to Ant-Man that technically it's not a robbery. Robbery involves threat (or force). Instead, it's a Burglary. It's also referred to as a Breaking and Entering. That's correct and is a wonderful tie-in the flashbacks. Although, I'll also add that any opening or moving of something to get in (such as opening a door or lifting a window) is a breaking regardless of whether anything was broken.

The art was beautiful. Checchetto's art is top notch, although I will point out the notches in his mask are back. There's an interesting set of panels alternating between North and Wilson Fisk that worked quite well, especially for the reveal of what happened in the fight. That's definitely going to have implications going forward.

Four and a Half Stars.

The backup story is actually a work of genius. It took me a second to realize what was going on and how the two sides paralleled each other, but I can't help but me impressed with all the little things they did. One of the cool things (I have no idea how it shows up on digital) are the nearly black panels. In these panels, there's actually black silhouettes that you can see if you catch the light just right that are impossible to see otherwise.

Five Stars.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Yep! Let me add to the praise: this issue was stellar all around. So pumped for what’s to come! And issue two this month! Just glorious!
    Last edited by Nanashi; 02-06-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Mighty Member

Zdarsky's first issue was really solid comics. He's got a good voice for Matt, coming off the Soule run and building on what we saw from the Man Without Fear mini. The new cop is an overdone cliche, but obviously going to be all kinds of trouble. And there's nothing I can say about Chechetto that would do him justice. The book is gorgeous, flat out.

Given that ending, I'm curious where we're headed. It's an excellent use of what has come before, and follows it through to an almost natural extreme. This should be fun, and it will almost certainly be one of the prettiest books on the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyKoala View Post
    As a side note, was the Man Without Fear mini any good? I work in a shop and flicked through each issue as they came out and just didn’t think it looked any good...
    Yes, it's quite good. It isn't at all what they marketed it as (what it is would have been a huge spoiler, so I suppose we can forgive them that). But I thought it was very well done. I do wish we'd had a little more time with the supporting cast, they're largely an afterthought, but I can't blame them for putting so much effort into Matt given the circumstances.

The City Needs a New Villain... And I think i might have found him...
    B689536E-754A-4307-A8CA-62B58ECFD8AA.jpg
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Read this new era of DD. Chip has my vote.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Daredevil by Sabastian Piriz

Extraordinary Member

I haven't enjoyed an issue of DD this much since Brubaker. My favorite DD stories have always been about Matt's life being a mess and him trying to dig himself out all the while still selflessly trying to do what he can to help people.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

I am not at all caught up on the current run, but since I am a curious person I wanted to see what the fuzz is about and read the first issue today and I gotta agree with you guys. This is a great start to this new run.
    The art was mostly really good, but there were a few panels where I was kinda indifferent to it.
    The suit looks great, I love that little notch on the mask, and it would have been perfect if not for those lines running across the head. The holster is a bit boxy if you ask me, but those are just minor things.

Also, the digital version (Comixology) has a bunch of extra stuff, clocking in at 138 pages.
    Last edited by gohei_; 02-07-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Picking up my copy tomorrow! Can’t wait!!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

By the way, a couple of old Marvel Handbook entries from back in the '80s:

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol. 1 No. 3 (March 1983)

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition Vol. 2 No. 3 (February 1986)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Not speaking for anyone else but...Issue #1 was an absolute PERFECT read, on all levels. I'm praying to the GODS and GODDESSES that Marco is never taken off this book. It may be way too early to say this but this run may be as definitive for me now as the Nocenti/John Romita jr. was for me back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Not speaking for anyone else but...Issue #1 was an absolute PERFECT read, on all levels. I'm praying to the GODS and GODDESSES that Marco is never taken off this book. It may be way too early to say this but this run may be as definitive for me now as the Nocenti/John Romita jr. was for me back in the day.
    You'd be speaking for a lot of people, because I haven't spoken to anyone who doesn't feel a similar way about the issue.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

DAREDEVIL #1 2nd Printing Variant by MARCO CHECCHETTO: