Page 19 of 74 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Congrats to the team on the reprint. And definitely the best page to pick for the 2nd print cover.

WOW!!!!!!!!! Tremendous first issue!!!! Can’t wait to see where this fantastic creative team takes us!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I finally managed to read Daredevil #1. I went through it twice in order to catch everything. The art and colour by Marco Chechetto and Sunny Gho is very good. I do hope they stay on for the long run. I'm liking the Three Days of the Condor look.

As a first issue, I though Chip Zdarsky did a very fine job. We're having Matt deal with his injuries and getting some background through some interesting flashbacks. Both long-time readers and those picking up for the first time are being well taken care of. Zdarsky has done a good job carrying on from Jed MacKay's Man Without Fear and Charles Soule's run.

I liked the conversations between young Matt and the priest. Short but meaningful talks.The time when Matt is in his black suit may be a bit confusing as some readers may wonder how he changed from red to black to red and also Matt looks the same age as in the present with sideburns and all but the giveaway is he's clean shaven. I believe this is a flashback to when he pushed and "killed" the prostitute through the window in Miller's Man Without Fear which was later retconned with the woman being Typhoid Mary. I wasn't too keen on the casual sex and later Matt tried to justify himself. It didn't seem a Matt kind of thing and so soon after he'd seen Kirsten again. It's a shame he shunned Kirsten as she was very good for him.
    Detective Cole seemed a bit cliche but he could turn out to be an excellent adfition - a moral compass for Matt.

Very nice and "sweet" additional Zdarsky story at the end. A very good first issue.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I wasn't too keen on the casual sex and later Matt tried to justify himself. It didn't seem a Matt kind of thing and so soon after he'd seen Kirsten again. It's a shame he shunned Kirsten as she was very good for him.
    Same here, Matt's the biggest serial monogamist this side of Taylor Swift, I don't think casual sex is really his vibe. But I suspect it'll end up being more than just a one-night stand. If you read Zdarsky's script from the Director's Cut, you see that he spends a lot of time describing detailing Matt's liaison's appearance and her personality, and she actually gets a name: spoilers:
    Rose
    end of spoilers. So she's bound to show up again.

And I had to laugh at Matt making fun of Foggy for being the type to move in with someone at the start of a relationship. That's exactly what he did with Black Widow! Matt Murdock: eternally projecting.

I agree that the casual sex fling was a little off. But I also agree we haven't seen the last of her. AND even if we have, I think it's just another indication of where Matt is with himself right now. He's still healing. Still erratic and a tad bit careless.

Overall, I thought this issue was awesome.

Zdarsky resurfaced a lot of themes that have been in various Daredevil stories in the past and seems to be drawing a bit of inspiration from the Netflix series, yet he definitely has his own spin on it.

The art is also fantastic and I hope we have a consistent artist for this run. I think the new look for Matt is great.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Same here, Matt's the biggest serial monogamist this side of Taylor Swift, I don't think casual sex is really his vibe. But I suspect it'll end up being more than just a one-night stand. If you read Zdarsky's script from the Director's Cut, you see that he spends a lot of time describing detailing Matt's liaison's appearance and her personality, and she actually gets a name: spoilers:
    Rose

And I had to laugh at Matt making fun of Foggy for being the type to move in with someone at the start of a relationship. That's exactly what he did with Black Widow! Matt Murdock: eternally projecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by cc008
    I agree that the casual sex fling was a little off. But I also agree we haven't seen the last of her. AND even if we have, I think it's just another indication of where Matt is with himself right now. He's still healing. Still erratic and a tad bit careless.
    I actually didn't mind it at all. I was actually glad to see the more charming, sauve side of Matt again given he went through Soule's entire run without any romantic relationship. While I never bought into Matt's reputation as being a womanizer or a player, he's not exactly a saint when it comes to relationships either. And I think to cc008's point, it probably has a bit to do with his mental state now, perhaps not to dissimilar to when he had the affair with Dakota. If anything thing, the only thing I thought was weird is that she didn't know who he was given he was recently mayor and was well known in Hell's Kitchen before that. She seems like an interesting character though, a bit different than anyone else that Matt has been with so I'd like to see her show up again.

I thought the Foggy line was hilarious as there is a bit of truth to it!
    Last edited by macjr33; 02-09-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Rose

Yes, I had the same feeling that she may very well return and it might be a good thing. Good point regarding Natasha. They did move in together pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I agree on both. Matt's behaving quite carelessly and injudiciously whilst trying to find his bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    I actually didn't mind it at all. I was actually glad to see the more charming, sauve side of Matt again given he went through Soule's entire run without any romantic relationship. While I never bought into Matt's reputation as being a womanizer or a player, he's not exactly a saint when it comes to relationships either. And I think to cc008's point, it probably has a bit to do with his mental state now, perhaps not to dissimilar to when he had the affair with Dakota. If anything thing, the only thing I thought was weird is that she didn't know who he was given he was recently mayor and was well known in Hell's Kitchen before that. She seems like an interesting character though, a bit different than anyone else that Matt has been with so I'd like to see her show up again.
    My take as well. I liked it.

https://foreverdogproductions.com/fd...ok-commentary/ Haven’t listened to it yet, but Zdarsky recorded a commentary on the first issue.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I love 3 Jacks so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so much. One of my all-time favorite Daredevil stories.

It was Ann Nocenti and David Aja's first collaboration, too. He would later end up providing illustrations for a short story she wrote for the Daredevil: Black and White one-shot and then creating The Seeds with her for Berger Books.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Speaking of The Seeds. Does anyone know if it's continuing? It was solicited as a 4(?) part story, but seemed to stop after issue 2.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Speaking of The Seeds. Does anyone know if it's continuing? It was solicited as a 4(?) part story, but seemed to stop after issue 2.
    Issue 3 is currently scheduled for March. It was supposed to be monthly without interruptions, but this is a David Aja title after all

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    This is AWESOME.
    One of my favorite DD stories EVER.

Tottaly Mazzucchelly style.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    Overall, I thought this issue was awesome.

Zdarsky resurfaced a lot of themes that have been in various Daredevil stories in the past and seems to be drawing a bit of inspiration from the Netflix series, yet he definitely has his own spin on it.

The art is also fantastic and I hope we have a consistent artist for this run. I think the new look for Matt is great.

I thought the Foggy line was hilarious as there is a bit of truth to it!
    Agreed 100% Very much my take on it as well.