Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Yeah... THAT'S my Daredevil. That image there is probably why I have SUCH a hard time with the subway scene in the movie. It's just.... NOT Daredevil. They tried to give him a character arc by having him realize 'He's not the bad guy...' and he ended up sparing Kingpin... but I didn't how messy that 'journey' was. These were some great issues showing that just because the 'world' would get darker and more gritty... Daredevil himself would always rise above it.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    But it's what happens after that is most important. As Bullseye is unconscious on the tracks, a train starts coming their way and Daredevil has to make the decision whether to save him or not. And, well, I think this page is just worth reading in full.

Attachment 76124
    (Click to Enlarge)

Even more importantly, Daredevil defends his actions showing why his faith in the law and the system means he can't kill even people like Bullseye. But, deep down inside, he knows the difficulty with his position as he's likely to be responsible for the deaths of others in the future because of this.
    That is a good sequence. I love when comic can go moment to moment like that especially when it's so significant.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah... THAT'S my Daredevil. That image there is probably why I have SUCH a hard time with the subway scene in the movie. It's just.... NOT Daredevil. They tried to give him a character arc by having him realize 'He's not the bad guy...' and he ended up sparing Kingpin... but I didn't how messy that 'journey' was. These were some great issues showing that just because the 'world' would get darker and more gritty... Daredevil himself would always rise above it.
    Was that supposed to be a character arc?! That went over my head. First of all, I forgot he killed the person who he couldn't put in jail. Now that you mention it, I remember, and that's why he went to church. Next, there's... nothing I remember that shows that he has some sort of journey or realization.

Like, I remember about him, Kingpin, and his father but I didn't connect it to the guy in the subway. I think it's because it's such a standard hero resolution that it just... whoosh. Forgettable.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Favourite Daredevil story: "Angels Unaware" by Lee Weeks from the Daredevil Dark Nights Anthology:

I haven’t seen this before, whats the story?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I actually enjoyed #1. I thought it was cool. Looking forward to Sam's talk with Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I haven’t seen this before, whats the story?
    It was issues #1-3 of the Daredevil Dark Nights Anthology/Mini-series which consisted of 3 stories by three different writers in eight issues. The writeup for "Angels Unaware" is as follows:

A blizzard brings New York to a standstill - and a little girl in desperate need of a heart transplant lies on death's door, unless Daredevil can get to her in time! The trouble is, DD is recovering from a severe concussion...but although everything may stand in his way, nothing will stop Daredevil from rescuing a young life!

It's a great story about regular people helping Daredevil out and Daredevil fighting fatigue and injuries to do the right thing. A real gem by Lee Weeks. I very highly recommend it.

You can pick the whole series up as a TPB. The second story by David Lapham isn't bad but IMHO the last story by Jimmy Palmiotti was garbage:

https://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Dar...n%3A3291437011
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 01-05-2019 at 10:27 AM.

^ Strongly agree with Daredevil: Dark Nights #1-3 being great. It's a gem that's easy to overlook in modern DD stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    There was a bunch of Daredevil comics I skimmed after the movie, but I didn't like it because it looks depressing. Everyone I saw has Matt either brooding, crying in his bed, or reminiscing about what looks to be dead women. Since I have no context for it, I wasn't interested. I take it Elektra wasn't the only woman in his life who died?

I read it in the 2000s but I didn't know if they were old comics or recent. The art seems to be 90s to 2000s. Coloring is not as flat as 80s but not as realistic as today either.
    Matt Murdock in general is a character who often has to deal with struggle. The entirety of Daredevil vol. 2 (a run defined by Kevin Smith, Bendis, and Brubaker) is essentially about Karen Page's death and Matt having a nervous breakdown trying to deal with it. Literally like 120 issues of a rollercoaster, but it's great writing if you can take the grit and dark nature. Contrasting that there's Daredevil vol. 3 and 4 by Mark Waid with stunning art from Chris Samnee, which is essentially Matt actively trying to live a more upbeat, lively, and fun life in the face of things going wrong and it's an interesting take on the character with the darkness being done more in undertones as a choice.

Best Daredevil moment?
    Basically the entirety of #191, the "Roulette" story where he's talking to Bullseye in the hospital bed and it's basically a commentary on vigilante heroism and the people they have to deal with.

Most badass Daredevil moment?
    When he beats Fisk and then unmasks himself and declares himself the new Kingpin to everyone watching in Bendis' run during the "Hardcore" arc, I distinctly remember my jaw dropping when reading that.

Favourite DD story??
    The Elektra Saga. I think Born Again is the best story, but The Elektra Saga is the one I tend to re-read more often and I think it's got a lot of entertainment value and dynamic action to take in.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'll agree with the Elektra Saga. The only debate I have is whether it's one story or a bunch of interconnected stories.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Daredevil by Gerardo Zaffino

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Daredevil by Gerardo Zaffino

Nice. Gerardo, son of the late Jorge. Both fantastic artists.

Daredevil by Alex Maleev

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That is a good sequence. I love when comic can go moment to moment like that especially when it's so significant.

Was that supposed to be a character arc?! That went over my head. First of all, I forgot he killed the person who he couldn't put in jail. Now that you mention it, I remember, and that's why he went to church. Next, there's... nothing I remember that shows that he has some sort of journey or realization.

Like, I remember about him, Kingpin, and his father but I didn't connect it to the guy in the subway. I think it's because it's such a standard hero resolution that it just... whoosh. Forgettable.

Yeah, it basically starts with him being cold blooded vigilante with the subway guy...

Then it moved into beating the crap out of the criminal in front of his kid and realizing that the kid was more scared of him then the criminals... Which started the whole 'i'm not the bad guy kid..."

Then it finished up with him ready to kill the kingpin with his own cane and realizing that he really WASN'T going to be 'the bad guy'...

Not to mention the bits about how he never let anyone get too close to him and kept bailing on his womenfolk in the dead of the night until Elektra got under his shield.. and stuff.

It was a lot like the 'zod neck snapping' was supposed to explain WHY Superman has a code against killing.. it was Daredevils 'heroic journey'. It wasn't handled very WELL... but I could at least see what they were TRYING to go for. Which is why I cut it a lot of slack. At the end of the movie he's 'the whole Daredevil' as opposed to just the forming in the beginning. So I was really hoping for a sequel... but no such luck.

Elektra by Gardenio Lima

DD could use more melee weapons in his repertoire on a case by case basis.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I actually enjoyed #1. I thought it was cool. Looking forward to Sam's talk with Matt.
    Yeah, me too. I really warmed to Sam in Soule's run. IINM, it also looks like Kirsten will appear in #2. I wouldn't be against her coming back into Matt's life.