Page 35 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Talking Happy 55th Anniversary 616 Matthew Michael Murdock aka Daredevil!!! 1964-2019

Daredevil #1 Apr 1964
    First appearances of Daredevil, Karen Page, and Foggy Nelson in "The Origin of Daredevil"
    One night at Fogwell's gym, a number of the bruisers that work there are enjoying a game of cards,
    when they're interrupted by the arrival of Daredevil, who has come looking for their boss, the Fixer.
    Fighting them, Daredevil reflects back to his past, and the events that led to his becoming this new costumed hero:

Daredevil is Matthew Murdock, son of "Battling" Jack Murdock, a prize fighter
    past his prime, who wants his son to get a real education instead of fighting.
    While his father tries to find honest work, his son is taunted by his peers and so begins training in secret.

One day, while Jack has no choice but to sign up with the Fixer, a shady fight organizer,
    Matt saves a blind old man from being run over in the street, but gets run over himself.
    The chemical truck spills its radioactive waste on Matt, blinding him.
    Matt soon realizes that all of his other senses have been heightened from this accident and continues his training.

Meanwhile, "Battling" Jack is experiencing a comeback that restores his self-esteem. Matt goes to law school and befriends Foggy Nelson.
    One night, the Fixer orders Jack to throw a fight, but when he refuses and instead wins the match, the Fixer has Jack killed.

After his father's funeral, Matt graduates from law school and opens his own law firm with Foggy, and they hire a secretary named Karen Page.
    Meanwhile, Matt decides to avenge his father by taking up the identity of Daredevil,
    creating a costume and converting his walking stick into a billy club weapon to fight crime.

Returning to the present, Daredevil continues to fight the Fixer's men, while across the city,
    Foggy goes to find Matt to help him to work, but he doesn't find him either at home or at the office.
    When he asks Karen, she shows tender sympathy for Matt's condition.

Back where the action is, Daredevil finds the Fixer and tracks him down to the subway with his keen senses.
    Switching back to his Daredevil guise, he chases the Fixer down the subway terminal until the Fixer suffers a severe heart attack.
    After the police round up the rest of his crew, Daredevil returns to his civilian guise

and shows up for work, his co-workers worried about his well-being.

Script by Stan Lee, art by Bill Everett (splash page penciled by Jack Kirby)

You get a single issue of #Daredevil to convince your friend to read DD comics. What do you give him/her?
    https://twitter.com/fanwithoutfear/s...102029313?s=21

What say you guys?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Daredevil #169 (Devils). It's a great story that has everything that sums up what makes the character great. There are arguably better issues #182 and #191 but both depend far more on what came before.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

That is a tough one!

I’m going to go with Daredevil 163- where he takes on The Incredible Hulk and tries to calm him down while protecting the innocents of New York. It goes to show the extremes Matt will go to protect your average person.

The more I reflect on it the more I would recommend Fantastic Four 40 where Matt goes toe to toe with Dr. Doom. People don’t realize what a big time book FF was back in the day and for Daredevil took the lead role in both issue 40 and 39. Lee & Kirby show how courageous and how cunning Matt is in these two issues.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Not to repeat the great choices already put forward, I would say:

Daredevil #208 - keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. Excellently weitten and drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Not to repeat the great choices already put forward, I would say:

Daredevil #208 - keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. Excellently weitten and drawn.

LOVE that issue! Another great pick!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    That is a tough one!

I’m going to go with Daredevil 163- where he takes on The Incredible Hulk and tries to calm him down while protecting the innocents of New York. It goes to show the extremes Matt will go to protect your average person.
    One of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Yes, but on the down side this was the last time that Frank Miller wrote the character.
    Both happy and sad news. Happy to see both writing & artwork working in unison with one another, but sad that both Miller & JRJR are no longer with Marvel. Hopefully, they'll return someday to do more work on Daredevil.

My choice would be DD VS. Namor from Daredevil #7.

Checchetto always draws an awesome Punisher. Can't wait to read Zdarsky's take on these two together.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Checchetto always draws an awesome Punisher. Can't wait to read Zdarsky's take on these two together.
    Awesome as that is, I can’t help but feel how stale the DD/Punisher relationship has become and would have loved for someone more unexpected to have rescued Matt. Maybe Natasha? They’d have a lot to catch up on. Or one of the Defenders?

Marco Checchetto returns in Volume 3 of Chip’s Daredevil! That makes me really happy!
    Last edited by The Man Without Beer; 04-12-2019 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Typo

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Awesome as that is, I can’t help but feel how stale the DD/Punisher relationship has become and would have loved for someone more unexpected to have rescued Matt. Maybe Natasha? They’d have a lot to catch up on. Or one of the Defenders?
    Lol I know I'm always saying this but Widow hasn't had a major guest spot in Daredevil since The Murdock Papers, which is by far the longest she's gone without one since she first appeared in the title. Natasha would have been a good choice here, especially since Zdarsky probably wants to use Punisher to contrast Frank and Matt's positions on lethality.

Spectacular Member

Going back to the idea of what issue would you give your friend to start reading Daredevil...so if it is only one issue then I would choose this one:

dd 191.jpg

This issue in my opinion is great as it DD vs Bullseye and just shows how much Matt has to deal with because of Bullseye and his faith. Then again if we get to cheat and share a story then I highly recommend Daredevil: The Man Without Fear by Miller and JRJR, thats what got me.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

OH GAWD!!!
    I want to read the preview but...
    I don't want to 'spoil' my first reading of next week's issue.
    So miserably torn.