Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Andy Diggle's run is terrible. The first part of Mark Waid's fun is great. The second part in San Francisco has some good moments but gets incredibly dumb. Charles Soule's run isn't spectacular, but it's a solid even keel for the most part throughout. Chip Zdarsky's run has barely begun, but it's been great so far.
    Couldn't have said it better myself and agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    During Waid's run, an 8-issue Dark Nights anthology was released and was collected as a tpb. The first story arc by Lee Weeks in the first 3 issues is downright excellent (ranks as my no.1 DD story). The other 2 arcs are forgettable.
    Absolutely agree with this about the three issue Lee Weeks arc. It is also my favorite DD story!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Discarded sketches for the cover of Daredevil #9 by J. Totino Tedesco:

God, these covers are fantastic.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Guys, how would you rate the Post Brubaker DD books? Looking to resume collecting?
    Diggle's a great writer (check out his Green Arrow Year One for proof of that), but I'm prone to believe that his run was hobbled with a lot of editorial interference since I believe Quesada said himself that editorial had intended to change the direction to something more akin to what Waid did with the book.

Speaking of Waid, while one of my favorite writers (I mean, his initial Flash run, his Cap run, and Kingdom Come alone cements him as one of the all-time greats as far as I'm concerned), his take on the character just wasn't for me. A bit too light for what I care for in a DD story.

I was initially excited about Soule since I did enjoy his She-Hulk so much. It's just that (to me, anyway) a lot of what he did with Matt seemed really inconsequential. I mean, sure he made Fisk mayor, but The Penguin's also been mayor twice already, so that was hardly breaking new ground. And sure he almost (may have?) ended DD's career with that truck accident, but that's literally where he left him. Any follow up on that was left to other writers. I will say, however, that how he put Matt's secret id back in the bottle was pretty damn ingenious. I thought there was no way they could pull that off with any sort of believability, but there I was, happily proven wrong.

The mini that followed was a bit more my speed. I really like a Matt that's at odds with his own life, his own situation, but refusing to back down no matter how insurmountable the odds look.

And lastly, I am REALLY digging this current run by Chip Zdarsky. This DD wins, but also accepts his losses at the same time, all the while trying to come to terms with what that means for his future. I really feel that this is going to be remembered right up there with Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker's run (unless Zdarsky really takes a left turn somewhere down the road that is).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

CB445F10-38B0-43BC-B2F1-A2FDCCFC6810.jpg

Picked up issue 10 today at my local con!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I just got Marvel Unlimited yesterday. I’ve asked this before but can’t find the responses, so I’ll ask again. Where’s a good place to start with Daredevil. I’m not opposed to starting at issue 1, from the 60’s. I know it’ll be cheesy, and dated. I’ve never read a single Daredevil book before so any suggestions are appreciated.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'd start with #159. It's part of Roger McKenzie's run, but it's after Frank Miller took over on art. I really enjoy that first arc (which is about Bullseye and features Black Widow) and you'll transition very quickly to #164, which is a retelling of the origin story, and then Frank Miller takes over fully with #168. Miller's run defined the character, imo, but it also does a really good job of recognizing the appeal of the character even back in the silver age. While it goes into some dark places, it also has plenty of moments of levity and humor that will make lighter runs like those of Karl Kesel and Mark Waid (and Stan Lee) seem to somehow still be the same character.

I enjoy parts of the silver age, but it's much easier to go in having an appreciation of what the character becomes than going in blind (uh, no pun intended) because, if you don't have a grounding of the character, it'll be hard to get motivated to read to when it gets good.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Patrick Zircher's Variant Cover to Daredevil #500 (physical inks on paper & final coloured version):

Daredevil by Jonathan Rector:

Post-Bru:

1. Waid. Even when a story didn't necessarily land, I really enjoyed the seismic shift in tone from (essentially) the entire previous Marvel Knights volume. And the art was gorgeous throughout. A nice change of pace run.

2. Soule. I thought Soule was steady from start to finish. It didn't really knock my socks off, but I don't think there was a single arc that didn't hold my interest. I appreciated the level of consistency, if that makes sense, even if it won't go down as a Mt. Rushmore Daredevil run.

3. Diggle. I've said before that Daredevil has been Marvel's best book over the last two decades (from '98's Marvel Knights relaunch through now) with some pretty incredible highs and almost zero lulls, but if there IS a lull, it would probably be Diggle's run. It just didn't land for me, but someone above mentioned there could have been editorial interference, so perhaps the direction Diggle chose wasn't his own. The saving grace here is that it's a relatively short run.

Won't rank Zdarsky as we're only six issues in, but I'm loving it and if it continues its current trajectory it would rank very high most lists.

Daredevil single issues sales slightly fell in May:

57. Daredevil #5 - 32,431
    59. Daredevil #6 - 31,898

One re-entry:
    435. Daredevil #4 - 1,713

Daredevil "themed" comic:
    115. War of Realms War Scrolls #2 - 19,256

Daredevil sketch cover by Tim Sale:

As close as we’ll likely ever get, sadly.

https://twitter.com/manwithoutfear/s...189433344?s=21

Fantastic news! Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Vol. 14 HC has been announced:

Reprints: Daredevil #144-158, Marvel Premiere #43
    (Vol. 285 in the Marvel Masterworks Library)
    Original Release Date: January 15, 2020
    REGULAR ISBN: TBA • List Price: $75.00
    VARIANT ISBN: TBA • List Price: $75.00
    320 Pages
    Collection Editor: Cory Sedlmeier
    Written by Jim Shooter & Roger McKenzie with Gerry Conway, Jo Duffy, Don McGregor & Gil Kane
    Pencils by Gil Kane, Gene Colan & Carmine Infantino with Frank Miller, George Tuska, Frank Robbins & Lee Elias
    Cover by Frank Miller

DAREDEVIL…MEET FRANK MILLER!
    Dangerous and desperate, the Owl is on the attack, and he’s far from the Man Without Fear’s only problem! Bullseye is back, while the Purple Man has employed his mind-control powers to torment our hero and his friends alike. It’s a gritty, edge-of-your-seat saga that traps DD in the Ryker’s Island prison, forcing him to fight a gauntlet of his most violent enemies. The personal drama is no less captivating: After Heather Glenn discovers Matt Murdock is Daredevil, she blames him for her father’s death, sending Matt into a tailspin. It won’t get any easier when his old flame, the Black Widow, returns. This historic volume culminates with an epic final battle with Death-Stalker — and Frank Miller’s Daredevil debut!
    Collecting DAREDEVIL (1964) #144-158 and MARVEL PREMIERE (1972) #43.
    Issues Reprinted: Daredevil #144-158, Marvel Premiere #43

Nice to see they're also including Marvel Premiere #43 which I don't have and features Paladin who first appeared in Daredevil #150

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Glad to see we're finally into remastering the Frank Miller era even if just barely (and just in art). I don't read it in Masterwork but Epic Collection, but this tracks how I think they'll map out that book with a volume ending with 158 and starting the next one with 159. Also, I'll be glad to see the Roger McKenzie issues appear on Marvel Unlimited.

So, even if you don't read the Masterworks, this is exciting news. And, for those who haven't read the McKenzie run outside of Frank Miller, I'd definitely recommend checking it out. There's some good stuff with the Purple Man in there among other good issues.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Fantastic news! Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Vol. 14 HC has been announced:

Reprints: Daredevil #144-158, Marvel Premiere #43
    (Vol. 285 in the Marvel Masterworks Library)
    Original Release Date: January 15, 2020
    REGULAR ISBN: TBA • List Price: $75.00
    VARIANT ISBN: TBA • List Price: $75.00
    320 Pages
    Collection Editor: Cory Sedlmeier
    Written by Jim Shooter & Roger McKenzie with Gerry Conway, Jo Duffy, Don McGregor & Gil Kane
    Pencils by Gil Kane, Gene Colan & Carmine Infantino with Frank Miller, George Tuska, Frank Robbins & Lee Elias
    Cover by Frank Miller

DAREDEVIL…MEET FRANK MILLER!
    Dangerous and desperate, the Owl is on the attack, and he’s far from the Man Without Fear’s only problem! Bullseye is back, while the Purple Man has employed his mind-control powers to torment our hero and his friends alike. It’s a gritty, edge-of-your-seat saga that traps DD in the Ryker’s Island prison, forcing him to fight a gauntlet of his most violent enemies. The personal drama is no less captivating: After Heather Glenn discovers Matt Murdock is Daredevil, she blames him for her father’s death, sending Matt into a tailspin. It won’t get any easier when his old flame, the Black Widow, returns. This historic volume culminates with an epic final battle with Death-Stalker — and Frank Miller’s Daredevil debut!
    Collecting DAREDEVIL (1964) #144-158 and MARVEL PREMIERE (1972) #43.
    Issues Reprinted: Daredevil #144-158, Marvel Premiere #43

Nice to see they're also including Marvel Premiere #43 which I don't have and features Paladin who first appeared in Daredevil #150

Must have. For most, the main attraction here is the start of the Miller era but I'm most excited to see Jim Shooter's issues collected.

I always wished he'd had a real run on DD.