Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 700
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    There was a bunch of Daredevil comics I skimmed after the movie, but I didn't like it because it looks depressing. Everyone I saw has Matt either brooding, crying in his bed, or reminiscing about what looks to be dead women. Since I have no context for it, I wasn't interested. I take it Elektra wasn't the only woman in his life who died?

    I read it in the 2000s but I didn't know if they were old comics or recent. The art seems to be 90s to 2000s. Coloring is not as flat as 80s but not as realistic as today either.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-03-2019 at 09:19 PM.

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    There was a bunch of Daredevil comics I skimmed after the movie, but I didn't like it because it looks depressing. Everyone I saw has Matt either brooding, crying in his bed, or reminiscing about what looks to be dead women. Since I have no context for it, I wasn't interested. I take it Elektra wasn't the only woman in his life who died?

    I read it in the 2000s but I didn't know if they were old comics or recent. The art seems to be 90s to 2000s. Coloring is not as flat as 80s but not as realistic as today either.
    Sounds like just post Karen Page's death in Kevin Smith's run. But yeah... it's happened before. It's almost a running gag at this point how often they've gone to the 'dead girlfriend' well. Off the top of my head, it's been Elektra, Karen Page, Heather Glenn, and Glorianna O'Breen all died, and Milla was driven insane. I DO feel like I'm missing someone though...

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh yeah, I remember that was a big thing that people dislike.

    I like the stupid playground fight though. Looking at it now I get it why it's corny, but back then I thought it was pretty fun.

    I'm more surprised by how stalky Matt looks asking for Elektra's name. It wasn't something I realized the first time.

    Honestly, I LOVE the playground fight. It's insane... it's stupid and reckless and shoots the idea of a secret identity in the face... but it's also EXACTLY the kind of thing Matt would do, especially with Elektra... especially when they just meet.

    It was also one of the first and only times we get to see Matt as the more 'fun loving Daredevil/Scarlet Swashbuckler... See him enjoying his powers and having a little fun with a pretty lady and not all broody and angry.


    I enjoyed both versions of the movie but the Director's Cut was worlds better. It got rid of the whole 'I'll ignore crime to sleep with Elektra' bit which was stupidity.... but it still left in the 'I'll let criminals get cut in half by a train while I mock him' bit... THAT bothered me a LOT more then the Playground scene.
    Last edited by phantom1592; 01-04-2019 at 12:10 AM.

  3. #18
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    When that movie came out I don't think I had any previous knowledge about him but I thought the movie was pretty good and I watched a bunch of times. Even to this day there are a lot of stuff I really like about it.
    The directors cut is even better.
    When I saw the movie back in 2003, I hadn't been reading comics since the 1980s. And for what it was, it wasn‘t bad at all. I also agree that the Director's Cut is better. The costume was a whole sight better than the Netflix one. I started reading comics again 8 years or so later after a 25+ year hiatus. Since then, I've managed to read moreorless everything Daredevil

    Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    A bunch of long-running threads got closed at new years. There's a sticky post about it.
    Thanks to you and Mike though for answering my question in the last thread
    Ok thanks. It's a little annoying as this is now at least the fourth reiteration of the thread. A lot of good info. on the previous threads has been lost.

    And, you're very welcome

  4. #19
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    There was a bunch of Daredevil comics I skimmed after the movie, but I didn't like it because it looks depressing. Everyone I saw has Matt either brooding, crying in his bed, or reminiscing about what looks to be dead women. Since I have no context for it, I wasn't interested. I take it Elektra wasn't the only woman in his life who died?

    I read it in the 2000s but I didn't know if they were old comics or recent. The art seems to be 90s to 2000s. Coloring is not as flat as 80s but not as realistic as today either.
    I'm guessing it was Bendis's run. The women in Matt's life who died were Elektra (who came back so I hate that she's still brought up), Karen Page, Heather Glenn, Gloriana O'Breen. Milla Donovan didn't die but did go insane.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'm guessing it was Bendis's run. The women in Matt's life who died were Elektra (who came back so I hate that she's still brought up), Karen Page, Heather Glenn, Gloriana O'Breen. Milla Donovan didn't die but did go insane.
    Oh wow the fridge is full.

    Unfortunately Elektra's the most popular one, and it happened in mainstream movie too, so it's gonna be brought up when you talk to a casual ^^

    So after that, I simply collect some really good covers on my PC. This was one of the stand out. The definitive one when I think of Daredevil during that time.

    3148010.jpg

  6. #21
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Chip Zdarsky has written and drawn a 4-page backup for the upcoming Daredevil #1:

  7. #22
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Man Without Fear #1 was disappointing, to say the least. Will likely sit out the rest of this mini.

    That said, my excitement for the impending relaunch is very much intact.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man Without Beer View Post
    Happy new year to all! Hopefully we’ll get some crazy good stories this year with our favorite Hornhead!

    How was Man Without Fear #1? Haven’t picked it up yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Personally Could Just Be Me but I kinda liked the Man without Fear #1- but that could just be because we basically get to see Daredevil in his Netflix Black suit and I really miss that show
    It was just okay for me. Just another day or night for Matt battling his demons.... Kind of been done before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Sounds like I made the right choice of not picking this up.


    In other news issue five of Marvel Knights was out yesterday and while the series continues to intrigue me, it was another Black Panther focused issue. Though Fisk had a terrific moment in it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I'm enjoying Marvel Knights. Every issue has been intriguing and fun. Given the nature of its mystery plot, how it sticks the landing is going to determine how I feel about the story overall but with one issue left, I can say "so far, so good."

    The Fisk/Doom moment in #5 was cool as hell.
    Marvel Knights 20th has been quite intriguing. It will be interesting how it all plays out. For those not in the know, Donny Cates only wrote the first issue, issues 2-5 were scripted by other writers (Matthew Rosenburg - 2&5, Tini Howard - 3, Vita Ayala - 4) who each developed the story with Cates for each issue. I get it, they want to sell a lot of issues, so they advertise it as Donny Cates.

  8. #23
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Sounds like just post Karen Page's death in Kevin Smith's run. But yeah... it's happened before. It's almost a running gag at this point how often they've gone to the 'dead girlfriend' well. Off the top of my head, it's been Elektra, Karen Page, Heather Glenn, and Glorianna O'Breen all died, and Milla was driven insane. I DO feel like I'm missing someone though...
    With regards to "dead" girlfriends, that's all of them. Unfortunately, Matt has been very unfortunate when it comes to relationships.

    Mary Alice Walker with her other personality of Typhoid Mary messed up his "reunion" with Karen Page. There was also the breakup with Kirsten McDuffie after the Purple Children wiped everyone's memories of Daredevil's secret identity. Matt was still in love with her but he wanted her protected and so broke up with her.


    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Honestly, I LOVE the playground fight. It's insane... it's stupid and reckless and shoots the idea of a secret identity in the face... but it's also EXACTLY the kind of thing Matt would do, especially with Elektra... especially when they just meet.

    It was also one of the first and only times we get to see Matt as the more 'fun loving Daredevil/Scarlet Swashbuckler... See him enjoying his powers and having a little fun with a pretty lady and not all broody and angry.


    I enjoyed both versions of the movie but the Director's Cut was worlds better. It got rid of the whole 'I'll ignore crime to sleep with Elektra' bit which was stupidity.... but it still left in the 'I'll let criminals get cut in half by a train while I mock him' bit... THAT bothered me a LOT more then the Playground scene.
    Yes, I agree - good points.

  9. #24
    Incredible Member your_name_here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Best Daredevil moment?
    Most badass Daredevil moment?
    Favourite DD story??

  10. #25
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Favourite Daredevil story: "Angels Unaware" by Lee Weeks from the Daredevil Dark Nights Anthology:


  11. #26
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Most badass Daredevil moment (s): The various times he took out Bullseye:

    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #27
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    There are many great Daredevil moments. One of the first was when he went toe to toe with Namor. From the outset, he didn't have much of a chance but he won the respect of the Sub-Mariner himself, calling Daredevil the most courageous he had fought with.


  13. #28
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    778

    Default

    I'm very excited for Daredevil Vol. 6 #1 by Chip Zdarsky and Marco Cecchetto, in February.

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Favourite Daredevil story: "Angels Unaware" by Lee Weeks from the Daredevil Dark Nights Anthology:

    I second this!
    AKA= FlashFreak

    Favorite Characters:

    DC:
    The Flash (Jay, Wally, Barry), The Atom (Ray Palmer) , Starman (Jack Knight) , Stargirl (Courtney Whitmore), and Captain Marvel/Shazam! (Billy Batson).

    MARVEL:
    Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Iron Fist, Ant-Man (Scott Lang), and Star Lord.

    Current Pulls:
    Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Venom, Immortal Hulk, Shazam,Guardians of The Galaxy, Old Man Quill, & Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

  15. #30
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Best Daredevil moment?
    Most badass Daredevil moment?
    Favourite DD story??
    My favorite single issue is either Daredevil #169 or 191. My favorite overall story is Born Again. I would put the most badass moment in Born Again when Matt Murdock races to rescue Karen Page, stops a shooter by kicking an icicle through a guy's arm, using his billyclub to knock a gun out of another arm and embracing Karen despite all that she had done.

    To me, the best moment is the one that sums him up the best. To understand it, it's worth having a little backstory. In #169, Bullseye escapes from prison while suffering from a mental delusion due to a brain tumor. That tumor causes him to essentially believe that everyone is Daredevil and he starts killing everyone. Daredevil fights him, trying to stop him and bring him to justice. During the fight, Bullseye runs into the subway. Matt knows the sounds and smells will be overwhelming, turning a very difficult fight into a nearly impossible one, but he goes anyway.



    In the subway, his senses fail him and he's swinging blindly (more blind than usual).



    Essentially, he wins the fight by sheer determination.



    But it's what happens after that is most important. As Bullseye is unconscious on the tracks, a train starts coming their way and Daredevil has to make the decision whether to save him or not. And, well, I think this page is just worth reading in full.

    Saves Bullseye.jpg
    (Click to Enlarge)

    Even more importantly, Daredevil defends his actions showing why his faith in the law and the system means he can't kill even people like Bullseye. But, deep down inside, he knows the difficulty with his position as he's likely to be responsible for the deaths of others in the future because of this.

    FaithintheLaw.jpg

    And this becomes true in #182 when Bullseye kills the one that Daredevil loves.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •