Page 55 of 134 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    One thing I am wondering

Does MCU Carol age still?
    I had guessed that she does not -- or if she does, it's at a very diminished rate.

How do you guys think the movie will change public perception of Carol? More specially in the eyes of the general audience.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    How do you guys think the movie will change public perception of Carol? More specially in the eyes of the general audience.
    The general audience never heard of her until this year (just as they never heard of Iron Man until 2008) so they'll think of her as Marvel's answer to Wonder Woman, or Wonder Woman/Superman.

It remains to be seen if they'll go along with the idea the movie is trying to convey, that she's been an essential part of the MCU from way back before anyone heard of her, but she is definitely the first person most people will name when asked who is Marvel's top heroine.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I wonder if this hasn't actually hampered the film.

I mean, Infinity War was the culmination of a decade of movies, with stakes we hadn't seen before or since, with a cliffhanger that left everyone devastated and waiting for Endgame. And despite all the pressure and the stupidly huge cast, the movie delivered on almost every level, on almost every promise and hope audiences had. It was huge, not just by Marvel standards but by Hollywood standards. And we've been left waiting for the past year to see the resolution to the biggest moment in MCU history.

Compared to all of that, how is a solo outing, and an origin story at that, going to compare?

Carol's movie is quality by Marvel standards. I mean, can anyone really say that it's really worse than Dr. Strange or Ant-Man or Thor or many of the other films we've seen over the last ten years? No (we might have personal preference but objectively speaking?). It's just as good as the usual Marvel fare, and better than many. But after Infinity War, with Endgame just around the corner? It'd be hard for any movie to look good compared to that.
    This is a behaviour I've noticed in the fandom recently and I think it started with Civil War, and it's why this rhetoric of "The Russos fix everything/get every character right" started because they did Spider-Man right and managed to do justice to most characters (except for Vision, War Machine, Hawkeye, and Ant-Man which no one talks about).

Doctor Strange comes out and I'd argue it's just as good as the first Iron Man, and is better than Cap 1, Thor 1, Incredible Hulk, and Ant-Man but it gets called mediocre because it got compared to Civil War. The fandom also compares about 10 minutes of screen time of Spidey to a whole movie in Homecoming and call a movie that actually develops his character poor because it's not Civil War.

Look at how almost everyone who said they thought Black Panther was mediocre compared it to Infinity War only (and his character to that in Civil War). How is that even fair? Of course to someone in the fandom would see Infinity War as the superior film. That's what they're MCU fans for. Notice that BP got the better reception outside the fandom.

Captain Marvel is going to get the same unfair treatment. It's already happening. You have people already saying the Russos will "fix" her and "fixed" her costume (from one half body shot without motion!) even though Brie shot Endgame before Captain Marvel, and the Russos have said they consulted the directors of the other characters before and during when they did the film.

Get ready for endless Captain Marvel and Endgame comparisons.

Disney is gonna see her as a 900-1bil dollar property

Casuals will see Marvel's Wonder Woman.

Comcis will continue to play catch up

Incels will continue to moan and complain and say the sky is falling.

Carol gonna be everywhere at Halloween.

Carol has a chance to be the next generations superheroine. Surpassing WW because this movie is MUCH more kid friendly than the Wonder Woman movie. I had patient's ask me if WW was kid friendly when it came back and I had to tell them no (war isn't kid friendly). When they ask me about CM, it is going to be an easy yes.
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 03-10-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Carol has a chance to be the next generations superheroine. Surpassing WW because this movie is MUCH more kid friendly than the Wonder Woman movie. I had patient's ask me if WW was kid friendly when it came back and I had to tell them no (war isn't kid friendly). When they ask me about CM, it is going to be an easy yes.
    I guess I kinda get that, but I don't think it was presented in a way that was inappropriate for kids, even though it still treated it seriously.

I think it's much more kid-friendly compared to BvS or Suicide Squad.

(But I guess this isn't the thread for that).

BANNED

Lol CM didn't have supergore but it was definitely about war. Not just about war but basically a critique of the america military complex.

From talking about combat exclusion policy directly in the military to portraying the Kree as a jingoistic race who propagandize to its soldiers about how the Kree are noble warrior heroes and not just that but how the skrull are evil refugees trying to assimilate into other societies/cultures with their insidious shapeshifting and would erode those societies/cultures, where the reality is quite different.

This movie is going to give the public a perception of Carol, there wasn't really anything there before hand to change. She's been around in cartoons and video games, but this is the first time Joe Average has seen her.

Given how well the movie did opening weekend, if that trajectory continues, the general public will enjoy her just as much as they do any other MCU hero. Which is to say, she'll become infinitely more popular than she was before.
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-10-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Lol CM didn't have supergore but it was definitely about war. Not just about war but basically a critique of the america military complex.

From talking about combat exclusion policy directly in the military to portraying the Kree as a jingoistic race who propagandize to its soldiers about how the Kree are noble warrior heroes and not just that but how the skrull are evil refugees trying to assimilate into other societies/cultures with their insidious shapeshifting and would erode those societies/cultures, where the reality is quite different.
    Im sure an 8 year old would pick up on all of that!
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

She will be viewed as Marvel's counter to WW (unfairly mind you).

She will be the first female at Marvel to have merchandise based on HER and not linked to another like Panther.

Folks were already reading her book as Amazon trade sales will tell you. Heck even at the library her book was getting checked out more than some guy named Barry Allen and Hal Jordan.

BANNED

Im sure an 8 year old would pick up on all of that!

I have complete faith in the education system!

priceless
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Niffleheim

I'm not American but whenever I watch U.S. news channel and the subject of education in primary schools (idk the equivalent in U.S. ☺) comes up I always hear that kids aren't being taught civics in America. So how would an 8 yr old learn about MIC when they aren't being taught about govt?
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-10-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Hey all. Just saw the movie myself. I'll agree with others, I'd give it a 2.5 - 3 (maybe 2.75) out of 5. Definitely some good parts here and there. Carol being a soldier in the beginning, her flying into space and shooting crap up, and the montage of her getting back up...that's the good thing about a lot of heroes. Always getting back up. That's always appreciated. I needed to see that too. Totally geeked out seeing Monica. Truth be told, I'm looking forward more towards a Monica Rambeau/Photon movie.

I was a little miffed that they gender swapped Mar-Vell. Thinking it over though, okay, if I could accept and find Tilda Swinton's performance noteworthy, I could do the same with Annette Benning's. And she certainly added some real weight to the movie.

The rest though...yeah. As has been stated:

Been thinking about Carol's film debut since I saw it Friday night. And I can definitely see where the criticisms are coming from. It is very much the Marvel formula, for better or worse.
    It felt formulaic. Misunderstanding this, good guy is really a bad guy that, need to find the glowly, shiny thing, I've seen that before in other Marvel movies. What could have saved it was the dialogue. Unfortunately, that was lacking. For me, it just wasn't witty or fun enough. It just seemed to go from point A to point B, just informational. Also, I still don't see how Carol could be a threat to Thanos. Yeah, she destroyed some ships and warheads, but well, I could easily see Thor doing the same thing. Did she go Binary mode in the movie? If she did, she didn't go all the way with it. I was hoping for star powered, cosmic level Carol. Hopefully, we'll see that in the future.

In any case, yeah, could have been better.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Also, I still don't see how Carol could be a threat to Thanos. Yeah, she destroyed some ships and warheads, but well, I could easily see Thor doing the same thing. Did she go Binary mode in the movie? If she did, she didn't go all the way with it. I was hoping for star powered, cosmic level Carol. Hopefully, we'll see that in the future.
    Carol on her own can't possibly beat gauntlet-powered Thanos, or if she can, then she really will be the Mary Sue people fear she will be... but it's not going to happen, the filmmakers aren't stupid and they know that audiences won't like Carol if she upstages the characters they already love. She will help them win, she won't make them useless.

As for what her role will be, spoilers:
    I think a clue may come from the fact that Infinity War built one of its subplots around the fact that Wanda's powers, which come from the Mind Stone, gave off the same energy as the Mind Stone. Now she's gone... unfortunately... but someone else shows up who is also drawing on the power of a stone. That could be used in a number of different ways.
    end of spoilers