Page 97 of 134 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    Saw these questions and thought they were good questions to ask on Carol's fan board:

1. Which Carol Danvers series did you like the most? Which story arcs were the best?
    It's a close race between Reed and KSD's first run. Gonna hand it to KSD.

2. What did you like about them?
    Well, the moment when Carol hands her cat to a cab driver, tells him it's a magic-ified Spider-Man, and instructs him to get "Spidey" to the "secret Avengers base disguised as a vet's office" so Carol could go punch a dinosaur in Time's Square......I was sold.

Generally I thought KSD had a great voice on Carol, an interesting supporting cast, and I really loved Soy's and.....Alliandre's? I forget how to spell his name.....art. And the costume was probably one of the best designs of the current era.

2. Do you like the character more as Ms. Marvel or as Captain Marvel?
    Captain. Not even a discussion. I think it's actually a pretty important statement that she's "Captain" now.

4a. What did DeConnick’s run do better than Reed's run?
    Not gonna dis on Reed, but like someone else said, KSD was just more polished. And I missed a big chunk of Reed's run somewhere around the 20's up to Secret Invasion, so I cant judge the whole run like I can KSD's.

OR

4b. What did Reed’s run do better than DeConnick run?
    I think Reed had better action sequences (most of the time anyway) and Carol felt more like a soldier in his run to me.

5. What’s current series are great at and what do you think of character’s future?
    I missed the first four issues, so all I've got is the last issue of the "Armageddon" arc and two issues of the Carol-Strange WotR tie-in. Thus far, I think Carol's voice is pretty good, the plots seem crazy and wild and vaguely Silver Age-y, which is fun. I like how Carol and Rogue left things before WotR. That's about all I got so far. Gotta hunt down the other issues before I can say more.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

SAME.
    Same across the board. I kept reading your answers, Ascended, and thought I wonder if we'll differ on the next question and then BLAM it was the same perspective/opinion/reasons. WILD.
    Other than #5 because I have read the first four issues and I very much enjoyed them. Oddly, I HAVEN'T read the Strange-swap yet. My biggest "hooray" of the current series is that Carol is back on Earth and we're being treated to all these super rad interactions with other beloved characters -- including and expectedly HAZMAT of all people -- who I wasn't sold on when it was revealed she'd play a role but the rationale provided actually makes sense and I'm pretty floored that I didn't draw the connection myself -- but that's why Kelly is such a tremendous writer.

Saw these questions and thought they were good questions to ask on Carol's fan board:

1. Which Carol Danvers series did you like the most? Which story arcs were the best?

I starting reading Carol with the KSD run and have only gone back a little ways.
    I have to say that no single storyline really stands head-and-shoulders above the rest. I still think Carol's character-defining story is still to come. (The problem is that everyone writer seems to think that to write it, they need to 'reinvent' her again)

I think the best single story featuring Carol prominently in recent years is the arc in Hopeless' Spider-Woman run that explored the fallout of Civil War 2 and highlight Carol and Jess' relationship.

2. Do you like the character more as Ms. Marvel or as Captain Marvel?
    Definitely Captain Marvel. A superior costume in every way, a title that positions her properly, and a status that makes her more self-assured and a character complete to herself,

OR

I have to say that I couldn't get into Reed's run in retrospect, because it seemed like it was being driven (or overridden) by whatever Bendis was doing on the Avengers books during that time.

One thing I love about KSD's run (although this was clumsily done at times) was that she really made an effort to give Carol agency in her own stories.

5. What’s current series are great at and what do you think of character’s future?
    Honestly, I have to say that I'm enjoying the current run most consistently, because Kelly Thompson has such a way with writing snappy dialogue that's still in-character.
    I also like that Carol is back on earth, so she can feel part of the main Marvel universe some more.
    I think if Thompson can stay on the book longer than a year, she might be able to build something truly special.

(I want the short hair back though)

Astonishing Member

I think I have to give the top spot to the DeConnick run (her two volumes combined), although there was a lot I liked in the first half of the Brian Reed run and the Claremont run deserves a lot of credit for introducing and establishing the Carol Danvers we have known and loved.

I have enjoyed the start of Thompson's run a lot--and I think she has the potential to earn the top spot, but we'll see how things go.

Best arcs for the original series? I'll say the battles with AIM around issues #7-10, as well as basically everything from #18 to the end of the series (around the time of her big costume change), which was where Claremont really seemed to be hitting his stride with Carol.

For Reed's run--I'll say his whole 2nd year: the introducing of her Lightning Strike team; making amends with Julia Carpenter; rematch with Cru and the Brood, etc.

DeConnick's run - the two-part team up with Monica Rambeau, and the "Enemy Within" arc. Plus her final issue with Tracy's passing.

For DeConnick's series I liked how it wove in Carol's past while at the same time revamping her for the future. DeConnick brought back some of the best supporting players from Claremont's original series and developed them further. She struck a decent balance between Carol's life on Earth while also reintroducing the cosmic element which was a big part of Carol's life for so long as Binary.

I also appreciated how she portrayed Carol as a capable and professional hero...which is something Reed struggled with at first. His Carol floundered a bit too much and came across as a bit of the rookie during the early issues of his run, which didn't seem in keeping with a woman who was already a fighter pilot; espionage agent and security chief before becoming a superhero. His take certainly improved a lot by the time he got to year two (the "Civil War" tie-in arc was a turning point for that actually), but it was a bit of a problem at first.

3. Do you like the character more as Ms. Marvel or as Captain Marvel?
    Captain Marvel, no question. Honestly, I prefer her as "Warbird" to Ms. Marvel. The Ms. Marvel identity made sense for her back in the day, but it really doesn't fit anymore. She's earned the "Captain" and its great to have a woman in that position again--so often the "Captain" characters are men, so it is great to see Carol (and Monica before her) get to show that they are just as deserving and capable to carry that mantle.

Follow through. Brian Reed's run suffered from attention deficit disorder, with subplots and supporting characters being introduced and then totally abandoned with no resolution at all. Arana is introduced as Carol's protege...and then just is dropped from the book. Carol's new boyfriend William has some big secret--we get some hasty accusation of him being Kree, and then he is abducted and allegedly killed off with no explanation of resolution (and I get the impression that the Kree thing is not what Reed originally had planned, since it doesn't exactly fit the original clues). Agent Sum is hinted to be immortal and have a mysterious background...no follow up. Carol and Wonder Man finally act on the sexual tension that was between them since her original Avengers stint in the 70s and sleep together....and then Simon is never seen in the book again, and there is no resolution to that situation. Etc, etc. Brian Reed did a fantastic job of setting up subplots and bringing in interesting supporting characters...but he would almost always just abandon them and move onto something else, leaving the audience unsatisfied.

DeConnick WAS guilty of this once herself though. She had been building towards a potential romance with Frank Gianelli in her first volume, and then dumped that plot line between volumes to throw Carol and Rhodey together without any set up at all.

I think Reed did better with the rogues gallery than DeConnick did--apart from the "Enemy Within" arc that brought back Yon-Rogg. Most of her run didn't really feature any significant or memorable villains. Brian Reed brought back classic Carol foes like The Brood, AIM, Rogue, Doomsday Man and even Mystique (although he badly bungled the long-awaited Carol/Mystique rematch), while also adding new threats like Cru, Head Case, the evil Warbird, etc.

I have really enjoyed Kelly Thompson's first arc, so I think Carol's future is in good hands. Here's hoping for a long and successful run by Kelly Thompson!

Quote Originally Posted by fokken View Post
    same.
    Same across the board. I kept reading your answers, ascended, and thought i wonder if we'll differ on the next question and then blam it was the same perspective/opinion/reasons. Wild.
    get out of my head!!!!

"We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    get out of my head!!!!

<gingerly nestles into the cerebelum and sips a glass of ginger ale>

.....nope.

spoilers:
    there is a pretty BADASS panel of Carol standing on top of Sindr after she wrekted her.

it's in WotR #6.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    spoilers:
    there is a pretty BADASS panel of Carol standing on top of Sindr after she wrekted her.

it's in WotR #6.
    end of spoilers
    How'd she wreck her? IIRC sindr was above thor level. What was the sword she was using?

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    How'd she wreck her? IIRC sindr was above thor level. What was the sword she was using?
    spoilers:
    in Wotr: Agents of Atlas, Sindr was roughed up a bit by Agents and tanked 445,000 hercs of mystic energy to her face.

as for Carols sword, it's Sindrs.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    <gingerly nestles into the cerebelum and sips a glass of ginger ale>

.....nope.
    Fine, but you're helping me with homework next semester.

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Who is her voice there?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Who is her voice there?
    I feel like it's Erica Lindbeck. I'm not 100% sure though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I think I have to give the top spot to the DeConnick run (her two volumes combined), although there was a lot I liked in the first half of the Brian Reed run and the Claremont run deserves a lot of credit for introducing and establishing the Carol Danvers we have known and loved.

I have enjoyed the start of Thompson's run a lot--and I think she has the potential to earn the top spot, but we'll see how things go.

Best arcs for the original series? I'll say the battles with AIM around issues #7-10, as well as basically everything from #18 to the end of the series (around the time of her big costume change), which was where Claremont really seemed to be hitting his stride with Carol.

For Reed's run--I'll say his whole 2nd year: the introducing of her Lightning Strike team; making amends with Julia Carpenter; rematch with Cru and the Brood, etc.

DeConnick's run - the two-part team up with Monica Rambeau, and the "Enemy Within" arc. Plus her final issue with Tracy's passing.

For DeConnick's series I liked how it wove in Carol's past while at the same time revamping her for the future. DeConnick brought back some of the best supporting players from Claremont's original series and developed them further. She struck a decent balance between Carol's life on Earth while also reintroducing the cosmic element which was a big part of Carol's life for so long as Binary.

I also appreciated how she portrayed Carol as a capable and professional hero...which is something Reed struggled with at first. His Carol floundered a bit too much and came across as a bit of the rookie during the early issues of his run, which didn't seem in keeping with a woman who was already a fighter pilot; espionage agent and security chief before becoming a superhero. His take certainly improved a lot by the time he got to year two (the "Civil War" tie-in arc was a turning point for that actually), but it was a bit of a problem at first.

Captain Marvel, no question. Honestly, I prefer her as "Warbird" to Ms. Marvel. The Ms. Marvel identity made sense for her back in the day, but it really doesn't fit anymore. She's earned the "Captain" and its great to have a woman in that position again--so often the "Captain" characters are men, so it is great to see Carol (and Monica before her) get to show that they are just as deserving and capable to carry that mantle.

Follow through. Brian Reed's run suffered from attention deficit disorder, with subplots and supporting characters being introduced and then totally abandoned with no resolution at all. Arana is introduced as Carol's protege...and then just is dropped from the book. Carol's new boyfriend William has some big secret--we get some hasty accusation of him being Kree, and then he is abducted and allegedly killed off with no explanation of resolution (and I get the impression that the Kree thing is not what Reed originally had planned, since it doesn't exactly fit the original clues). Agent Sum is hinted to be immortal and have a mysterious background...no follow up. Carol and Wonder Man finally act on the sexual tension that was between them since her original Avengers stint in the 70s and sleep together....and then Simon is never seen in the book again, and there is no resolution to that situation. Etc, etc. Brian Reed did a fantastic job of setting up subplots and bringing in interesting supporting characters...but he would almost always just abandon them and move onto something else, leaving the audience unsatisfied.

DeConnick WAS guilty of this once herself though. She had been building towards a potential romance with Frank Gianelli in her first volume, and then dumped that plot line between volumes to throw Carol and Rhodey together without any set up at all.

I think Reed did better with the rogues gallery than DeConnick did--apart from the "Enemy Within" arc that brought back Yon-Rogg. Most of her run didn't really feature any significant or memorable villains. Brian Reed brought back classic Carol foes like The Brood, AIM, Rogue, Doomsday Man and even Mystique (although he badly bungled the long-awaited Carol/Mystique rematch), while also adding new threats like Cru, Head Case, the evil Warbird, etc.

I have really enjoyed Kelly Thompson's first arc, so I think Carol's future is in good hands. Here's hoping for a long and successful run by Kelly Thompson!
    I'll second this outside the name. Miss Marvel sounds more "superheroey" (its a word I said it) to me. I never understood the issue with being offended by a female character being referred to by their gender in their hero names when we have character like "Mister" Fantastic and Super"man".

That being said I'm good with Capt. Marvel to it makes sense given the background. Just wish both were used to find leeground but its unlikely with Kamahla running around with the Miss name now.

Definitely agree with not liking writers bringing up plot points just to abandon them. Its annoying as hell.