Page 31 of 134 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    same

mahkizmo's sex sorting bubble doesn't do gender just sex: that's what came to my mind.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Key words. Being "The Past" and "Subtle" you can't really say the same thing with this heavy need to strongly visually show it with Carol especially after with issue two.

A lot of the feminist stuff with Diana was during a time period where that stuff had more of a prescense to need to be brought up and same thing with the racial stuff with Black Panther. Present day its a bit weird cause feminism morphed from wanting equality to claiming superiority which isnt the best look for a comic character with the demographic for comic buyers mainly being white males or males in general.

I'm honestly wanting good stories and its hars to get that when the priority shifts to putting out a belief or agenda and writing a good story last. In know way has Radiation Man been demonstrated as a threat to Carol. Physically she overpowered him, intelligence obviously goes to her too, numbers? She has more people on her side.. So I'm reading a story where the biggest issue the character is facing is ignorance and its a pretty bland story so far.
    Feminism is not about about female superiority. Sure, there's extremists out there, but they don't represent mainstream feminism. Not every black person who speaks about racism hates white people. Not every white person who's proud of their European background thinks like Richard Spenser.

But getting back to the comic, clearly there's more going on than just whether or not Carol can take down Mahkizmo physically.There's the mystery of where they are and why things are happening the way they are. Plus what's up with Som. It's not a 20 page lecture on "sexism is bad." Having said that, I can see if a someone feels the premise of the "Mad Max" story on the surface isn't engaging enough. I was hesitant myself when I read the previews, but right now I'm willing to give it a chance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Feminism is not about about female superiority. Sure, there's extremists out there, but they don't represent mainstream feminism. Not every black person who speaks about racism hates white people. Not every white person who's proud of their European background thinks like Richard Spenser.

But getting back to the comic, clearly there's more going on than just whether or not Carol can take down Mahkizmo physically.There's the mystery of where they are and why things are happening the way they are. Plus what's up with Som. It's not a 20 page lecture on "sexism is bad." Having said that, I can see if a someone feels the premise of the "Mad Max" story on the surface isn't engaging enough. I was hesitant myself when I read the previews, but right now I'm willing to give it a chance.
    If that's what you got out of my post then you didnt get my post. My post is complaining on how feminism is during the day compared to original wanting equality. I'm not suggesting all feminism is claiming superiority to men but the feminism that gets pushed in today's society is that men are practically useless or vile creatures. While women are elegant and smarter. Part of it honestly is due to the fact that the extreme feminist get more attention for their outlandish stances and that they come off honestly louder.

So far the with how heavy the sexist dialogue is being played the Post-Apocalyptic setting is lost on me at the very least. It might not bother you or some other readers but I assure you there's a demographic out there that bashes this kind of writing and in my opinion rightfully so. I'm hoping we get a better villain during this arc because the current one is honestly underwhelming.

In anticipation of major Captain Marvel afterglow reading needs, I’m looking thru some of Carols supplemental stints in other titles beyond her own volumes and Avengers/Civil War 2, Uktimates etc...

How was her portrayal during her deep space time with the Guardians?

Invincible Member

If that's what you got out of my post then you didnt get my post. My post is complaining on how feminism is during the day compared to original wanting equality. I'm not suggesting all feminism is claiming superiority to men but the feminism that gets pushed in today's society is that men are practically useless or vile creatures. While women are elegant and smarter. Part of it honestly is due to the fact that the extreme feminist get more attention for their outlandish stances and that they come off honestly louder.

So far the with how heavy the sexist dialogue is being played the Post-Apocalyptic setting is lost on me at the very least. It might not bother you or some other readers but I assure you there's a demographic out there that bashes this kind of writing and in my opinion rightfully so. I'm hoping we get a better villain during this arc because the current one is honestly underwhelming.
    I understood that. My point was that that's not feminism.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    In anticipation of major Captain Marvel afterglow reading needs, I’m looking thru some of Carols supplemental stints in other titles beyond her own volumes and Avengers/Civil War 2, Uktimates etc...

How was her portrayal during her deep space time with the Guardians?
    it's been a while but it was similar to KSD.

BANNED

Oh my mistake then. I completely agree.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=63619104

Carol going Super Saiyan 2 in War of the Realms: Strikeforce.
    Last edited by GodThor; 02-14-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Unless you've been living under a rock or possibly don't surf the web often youd be surprised what you see. There's videos of women claiming the world would be better without men. Equality is men have no traits that are better than women but in reverse women have characteristics better than men. If you want I could pm you some stuff cause I don't want to derail this forum talking about modern day feminism compared to early day feminism.
    Yes. That's not feminism. Like many advocacy movements -- the intent of the movement can appear to be lost or altered because these communities are made of individuals, and individuals have personal agendas and those agendas may pivot in unexpected and sometimes extreme directions.
    Take religion for example, and how it splinters and spiderwebs into a variety of subsets and variations --often stemming from the same original message, but sometimes adding or subtracting or modifying that message to fit whatever new message they now wish to convey.
    The same applies to Feminism. The whole argument being made about feminist feeling superior or that all men are garbage dumps isn't fair. Why? Because its a blanket statement. Not all feminists believe that. Do some? Its possible. The evidence to support that is out there. The internet is filled with people prone to spouting their personal unapologetic ideologies on a regular basis. But again, its a blanket statement and thus does not -- CANNOT -- apply to an entire community. And feminists aren't exclusively female either. Feminism is the advocacy of Women's rights on the basis of gender equality. Men can be, and many ARE, feminists.

I feel the confusion around feminism commonly stems from shame. Like any movement created based on inequality or oppression, however big or small, those not directly affected (often times, this would be men) can inevitably feel shame for being ignorant to this inequality, and just like the domino effect over in Star Wars (fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate) those feelings can get muddled, further confused, and escalate quickly to defense mode, leading to recognizing feminism as "bad". Factoring in the multitude of platforms available via the internet and the varying extremes by which people voice their views, this confusion is almost a guarantee.

But feminism isn't bad. Its really just the golden rule: Treat others how you want to be treated. Aka: Fair and Equal. If you don't want to be treated fairly and equally to those around you, then there may be some ego stuff going on and that's something for further psychological examination. Mental Health = Important & Good. :-)

Carol recognizing and addressing the antagonist's very blatant misogynistic behavior isn't necessarily part of any feminist agenda, any more than Captain America recognizing and addressing the Red Skull's very blatant xenophobia. Carol (and furthering the comparison between our Caps) is simply a hero identifying and calling out the villain's villainous behavior. Misogyny is bad. Xenophobia is bad. Prejudice is bad. Carol, in true Carol fashion, is gonna punch the bad right outta that suckah'. As is Steve & the Red Skull.

Is this about Hazmat using ASL because she was wearing a mask?
    Hazmat IS a kid. A kid who is likely unfamiliar with Echo and her incredible lip reading prowess and opted to implement the tools she had (impressively so, IMHO) to communicate.
    Also, I say good job Kelly for incorporating the use of ASL into your story in a legitimate and organic way. Representation points! My buddy who does ASL for a living got so excited!

Also, also: If Som winds up being trans, all the better for representation. The trans community's got very little within the Marvel Universe, to the best of my knowledge.

BANNED

feminism took my penis away

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    feminism took my penis away
    Ha ha ha But were you even using it though?

jk

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Is this about Hazmat using ASL because she was wearing a mask?
    Hazmat IS a kid. A kid who is likely unfamiliar with Echo and her incredible lip reading prowess and opted to implement the tools she had (impressively so, IMHO) to communicate.
    Also, I say good job Kelly for incorporating the use of ASL into your story in a legitimate and organic way. Representation points! My buddy who does ASL for a living got so excited!
    Well, the framing of it makes it look like it was necessary or else Echo wouldn't understand. Though I'm sure you're on point as to why it was used this way, it loses a bit of it's oomph when you know it's unnecessary (at least Daredevil has a secret identity to worry about when he uses braile when he can read books by feeling the ink).

Well, the framing of it makes it look like it was necessary or else Echo wouldn't understand. Though I'm sure you're on point as to why it was used this way, it loses a bit of it's oomph when you know it's unnecessary (at least Daredevil has a secret identity to worry about when he uses braile when he can read books by feeling the ink).
    Additionally, Carol may not be aware of this proficiency of Echo's. Carol is making assumptions as to why Hazmat is using ASL. As Hazmat may be doing.
    Its not necessarily an error on the author to include a character's ignorance in story, you know?

Didn't expect them to use "Who can you trust?" so soon.