Page 32 of 134 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

Wasn't that Secret Invasion's tagline? She IS fighting the Skrulls in that movie.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It would fit with the rumors that Marvel Studios is working on a Secret Invasion movie.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yes. That's not feminism. Like many advocacy movements -- the intent of the movement can appear to be lost or altered because these communities are made of individuals, and individuals have personal agendas and those agendas may pivot in unexpected and sometimes extreme directions.
    Take religion for example, and how it splinters and spiderwebs into a variety of subsets and variations --often stemming from the same original message, but sometimes adding or subtracting or modifying that message to fit whatever new message they now wish to convey.
    The same applies to Feminism. The whole argument being made about feminist feeling superior or that all men are garbage dumps isn't fair. Why? Because its a blanket statement. Not all feminists believe that. Do some? Its possible. The evidence to support that is out there. The internet is filled with people prone to spouting their personal unapologetic ideologies on a regular basis. But again, its a blanket statement and thus does not -- CANNOT -- apply to an entire community. And feminists aren't exclusively female either. Feminism is the advocacy of Women's rights on the basis of gender equality. Men can be, and many ARE, feminists.

I feel the confusion around feminism commonly stems from shame. Like any movement created based on inequality or oppression, however big or small, those not directly affected (often times, this would be men) can inevitably feel shame for being ignorant to this inequality, and just like the domino effect over in Star Wars (fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate) those feelings can get muddled, further confused, and escalate quickly to defense mode, leading to recognizing feminism as "bad". Factoring in the multitude of platforms available via the internet and the varying extremes by which people voice their views, this confusion is almost a guarantee.

But feminism isn't bad. Its really just the golden rule: Treat others how you want to be treated. Aka: Fair and Equal. If you don't want to be treated fairly and equally to those around you, then there may be some ego stuff going on and that's something for further psychological examination. Mental Health = Important & Good. :-)

Carol recognizing and addressing the antagonist's very blatant misogynistic behavior isn't necessarily part of any feminist agenda, any more than Captain America recognizing and addressing the Red Skull's very blatant xenophobia. Carol (and furthering the comparison between our Caps) is simply a hero identifying and calling out the villain's villainous behavior. Misogyny is bad. Xenophobia is bad. Prejudice is bad. Carol, in true Carol fashion, is gonna punch the bad right outta that suckah'. As is Steve & the Red Skull.

Is this about Hazmat using ASL because she was wearing a mask?
    Hazmat IS a kid. A kid who is likely unfamiliar with Echo and her incredible lip reading prowess and opted to implement the tools she had (impressively so, IMHO) to communicate.
    Also, I say good job Kelly for incorporating the use of ASL into your story in a legitimate and organic way. Representation points! My buddy who does ASL for a living got so excited!

Also, also: If Som winds up being trans, all the better for representation. The trans community's got very little within the Marvel Universe, to the best of my knowledge.
    I'd also throw out there that the term "feminism" has been demonized by some people for their own political reasons for years and quite successfully. To the point where people both women and men who believe in feminist ideas won't call themselves feminist because they don't want to be associated with the negative stereotypes. There's all these Big Red Memes floating around to say nothing of people like Rush Limbaugh calling folks "feminazi" for the last 30 yrs. Some people now hear the word "feminism" and not knowing any better think it's some sort of hate group or something.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    feminism took my penis away
    Was it one of those detachable ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUk08iYZKE

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Was it one of those detachable ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUk08iYZKE
    No :cryingemoji:

Supposed leak has been making rounds, take it with a grain of salt:
    spoilers:
    >Jude Law is the Starforce commander, Yon-Rogg, and Carol’s mentor.
    >The Kree are at war with the Skrulls.
    >Ben Mendelsohn is the Skrull leader.
    >The Skrulls are searching for a weapon to use against the Kree.
    >Starforce raids a Skrull outpost for information, and Carol is captured.
    >The Skrulls probe her mind and unlock repressed memories of life on Earth.
    >Carol escapes and pursues the Skrulls to Earth.
    >Nick Fury and Phil Coulson are sent to investigate the crash and cross paths with Carol while she is pursuing the Skrull disguised as an old lady.
    >Carol escapes and reports to Starforce that the Skrulls are on Earth and Starforce is sent to bring her back.
    >Carol finds Fury and they bond. She tells him about her memories.
    >Fury leads her to an old SHIELD outpost where they storage evidence of extraterrestrial activity.
    >The fucking cat is there.
    >Carol finds out that she was a human Air Force pilot who disappeared while testing a Tesseract-powered spaceship.
    >Fury calls SHIELD and they detain Carol, but then he figures out his boss IS the Skrull leader.
    >Carol and Fury escape and hide with Carol’s friend Maria and her daughter Monica, and Carol slowly regains her memories.
    >Fury calls Coulson, who finds the facility where SHIELD is studying the Tesseract.
    >Starforce then betrays them and captures Carol and Fury.
    >The Supreme Intelligence reveals that Carol’s ship was caught in a battle between the Kree and the Skrulls. During the fight, Carol’s DNA merged with the Tesseract due to Kree technology, giving her superpowers.
    >The Kree brainwashed Carol into believing she was one of their own to use her as a weapon.
    >The Supreme Intelligence subjugates planets under the Kree empire.
    >Carol is rescued by her mother, Mar-Vell, a Kree spy who was sent to study humans, but fell in love with one and abandoned her mission. She was forced to abandon her children when the Skrulls located her.
    >Mar-Vell and Yon-Rogg had been working together to overthrow the Supreme Intelligence, and Mar-Vell designed the machine that gave Carol her powers.
    >Yon-Rogg betrayed Mar-Vell, wanting to use the machine to become superpowered, usurp the Supreme Intelligence and cleanse the cosmos.
    >When Carol was caught in the crossfire, Yon-Rogg abducted her, and Mar-Vell has been trying to rescue Carol for years.
    >Carol, Fury and Mar-Vell reunite with Coulson and Monica and set out to retrieve the Tesseract from the Skrulls' lair before Yon-Rogg and his forces.
    >Mar-Vell makes Carol a new suit and warns her about unlocking her powers, as they are connected to the Quantum Realm.
    >Yon-Rogg and his forces attack the Skrulls' lair at the same time as Carol and her forces and a big threeway battle ensues.
    >During the battle, Yon-Rogg kills Mar-Vell and Fury loses an eye to the Skrull leader.
    >Carol fights and defeats Yon-Rogg, but he manages to escape.
    >Losing Mar-Vell unlocks Carol's full powers. She sends Fury to secure the Tesseract while she destroys Yon-Rogg's forces, then flies into space and destroys the Kree armada led by Ronan and the Skrull reinforces called by the Skrull leader.
    >Carol confronts Ronan and exposes Yon-Rogg as a traitor. He begrudgingly agrees to leave Earth.
    >Carol reunites with Fury, Coulson and Monica. She is struggling to control her powers and believes she's too dangerous to be left unchecked, so she volunteers to go into space to learn how to control them.
    >Before leaving, she gives Fury the pager to contact her if something goes very wrong and he needs help.
    >Maria and Monica return to their lives. Monica wants to be "just like Carol" when she grows up.
    >Fury meets up with Coulson, and they begin investigating Skrull activity, learning they've spread through the entire world.
    >Fury decides that they will need people like Carol to protect them in the future, planting the seed for the Avengers Initiative.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

sounds entirely plausible

I don't want to get possibly spoiled about the whole movie, but I kinda want to know about the origin of her powers and the stuff related to that. Could you make a post with just that part?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't want to get possibly spoiled about the whole movie, but I kinda want to know about the origin of her powers and the stuff related to that. Could you make a post with just that part?
    here you go

spoilers:

>The Supreme Intelligence reveals that Carol’s ship was caught in a battle between the Kree and the Skrulls. During the fight, Carol’s DNA merged with the Tesseract due to Kree technology, giving her superpowers.
    end of spoilers
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    here you go

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Oh, well, that's pretty much just her original comics origin with a known MCU articfact instead of Mar-Vell... Kinda meh imo.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    spoilers:
    Oh, well, that's pretty much just her original comics origin with a known MCU articfact instead of Mar-Vell... Kinda meh imo.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    there is more about her powers in the spoilers I just selected the part explaining where it all starts
    end of spoilers
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    spoilers:
    there is more about her powers in the spoilers I just selected the part explaining where it all starts
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Oh ok, thanks. I think I'm just not gonna read anything. If the spoilers are real it ruins the surprise, if they're fake I might create false expectations.
    end of spoilers

Man, look at all those spoiler tags! I wanna read them, but.....must.....resist! We're at the point where rumors can start turning out to be true more often than I'm comfortable with. Might be time I step out of the thread, until after opening night. Gotta try to avoid what I can until then.

If I dont pop in again (I probably will take the gamble, tho) I'll see everyone on the other side of movie night!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Please tell me those are all about the movie. It's good to see everyone so excited.

That spoilered leak originated on 4chan's /tv/ board I believe. It's become something of a sport there to post similar-sounding fake attempts at plot reveals in order to troll people. TBF though they never usually get posted this close to the movie's release date. I'd imagine most of what's in it is true because it's all mostly been guessed from what we've seen in the trailers combined with what we know of Carol's comics history -- though a couple of parts do seem a bit iffy.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.