Page 54 of 134 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...arvel2018a.htm

Domestic: $153,000,000 33.6%
    + Foreign: $302,000,000 66.4%
    = Worldwide: $455,000,000

It had already made more than it's budget. The film has at least broken even.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Looks like it’ll debut as the second highest grossing movie of 2019 (so far) and will likely take the number one spot in a week or 2

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...arvel2018a.htm

It had already made more than it's budget. The film has at least broken even.
    Looks like the #AlitaChallenge has worked out really great for the haters, LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Overall, an average movie, definitively not what I was hoping just before Endgame.
    I wonder if this hasn't actually hampered the film.

I mean, Infinity War was the culmination of a decade of movies, with stakes we hadn't seen before or since, with a cliffhanger that left everyone devastated and waiting for Endgame. And despite all the pressure and the stupidly huge cast, the movie delivered on almost every level, on almost every promise and hope audiences had. It was huge, not just by Marvel standards but by Hollywood standards. And we've been left waiting for the past year to see the resolution to the biggest moment in MCU history.

Compared to all of that, how is a solo outing, and an origin story at that, going to compare?

Carol's movie is quality by Marvel standards. I mean, can anyone really say that it's really worse than Dr. Strange or Ant-Man or Thor or many of the other films we've seen over the last ten years? No (we might have personal preference but objectively speaking?). It's just as good as the usual Marvel fare, and better than many. But after Infinity War, with Endgame just around the corner? It'd be hard for any movie to look good compared to that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    I’ve never really cared about Captain Marvel, but I saw the movie yesterday.

Having seen the movie, what would you all consider “essential” reading, because god damn sign me up for the Carol Corps.
    Welcome to the Corps!

If you want to get into familiar material, you need to read Kelly Sue DeConnick's first volume of Captain Marvel. She did a second volume as well but I dont think its essential reading. You might also want to look at Stohl's "Life of Captain Marvel" which was a five issue mini and is already collected in trades. I didnt read it but I hear it was decent.

And Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel run is definitely a must-read too. Carol's not in the blue-red costume or using "Captain" but a lot of the character groundwork KSD covers in her first arc is setup by Reed.

If you can find it, the original Ms. Marvel series from the 70's might be worth looking at too. Some of the ideas the movie plays with originates with that run.

A new series just got started as well, but my LCS screwed up and I haven't read a single issue of it yet.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Looks like the #AlitaChallenge has worked out really great for the haters, LMAO.
    Alitalia had a horrible dropoff this week.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    ...Carol's movie is quality by Marvel standards. I mean, can anyone really say that it's really worse than Dr. Strange or Ant-Man or Thor or many of the other films we've seen over the last ten years?...
    Most certainly not. If anything it is a bit better than those you've listed above. I'll give it a 3 out of 5 (2.5 is an average rating), slightly above average although not my cup of tea.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I wonder if this hasn't actually hampered the film.

I mean, Infinity War was the culmination of a decade of movies, with stakes we hadn't seen before or since, with a cliffhanger that left everyone devastated and waiting for Endgame. And despite all the pressure and the stupidly huge cast, the movie delivered on almost every level, on almost every promise and hope audiences had. It was huge, not just by Marvel standards but by Hollywood standards. And we've been left waiting for the past year to see the resolution to the biggest moment in MCU history.

Compared to all of that, how is a solo outing, and an origin story at that, going to compare?

Carol's movie is quality by Marvel standards. I mean, can anyone really say that it's really worse than Dr. Strange or Ant-Man or Thor or many of the other films we've seen over the last ten years? No (we might have personal preference but objectively speaking?). It's just as good as the usual Marvel fare, and better than many. But after Infinity War, with Endgame just around the corner? It'd be hard for any movie to look good compared to that.
    I think its unfair to compare it.

Honestly if anything I feel like the connective tissue of the MCU tends to hamper a lot. This flick was so entertaining when it wasn't trying to connect the dots for other marvel stuff.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    I’ve never really cared about Captain Marvel, but I saw the movie yesterday.

Having seen the movie, what would you all consider “essential” reading, because god damn sign me up for the Carol Corps.
    I'm going to answer this two ways. First, if you enjoyed the movie and want something that reminds you of it, the best option is Kelly Sue DeConnick's runs. I also would suggest reading the Brood Saga in Uncanny X-Men.

If you want to know all the influences the movie has, I'm going to go a bit deeper. I would read the following:

If you're OK with Silver and early Bronze Age comics:
    The original Captain Marvel 1-19
    The Kree/Skrull War
    Ms. Marvel Vol. 1 (at least 1, 9-10, 11-14, 19)
    Avengers Annual 10 (which, unfortunately, is best understood with Avengers 200, but know this is a problematic story)

Brian Reid's Ms. Marvel run is pretty solid. I would definitely read Ms. Marvel #31-37.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

B
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'm going to answer this two ways. First, if you enjoyed the movie and want something that reminds you of it, the best option is Kelly Sue DeConnick's runs. I also would suggest reading the Brood Saga in Uncanny X-Men.

If you want to know all the influences the movie has, I'm going to go a bit deeper. I would read the following:

If you're OK with Silver and early Bronze Age comics:
    The original Captain Marvel 1-19
    The Kree/Skrull War
    Ms. Marvel Vol. 1 (at least 1, 9-10, 11-14, 19)
    Avengers Annual 10 (which, unfortunately, is best understood with Avengers 200, but know this is a problematic story)

Brian Reid's Ms. Marvel run is pretty solid. I would definitely read Ms. Marvel #31-37.
    Been meaning to read the Brood Saga for a while for the X-Men. I’ll definitely check it out.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    One thing I am wondering

Does MCU Carol age still?
    I guess not? Or at least extremely slowly.

spoilers:
    When she shows up in the post-credit scene, she looks like she hasn't aged a day... only her hair's grown out a bit.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Most certainly not. If anything it is a bit better than those you've listed above. I'll give it a 3 out of 5 (2.5 is an average rating), slightly above average although not my cup of tea.
    For me, it's not on the same level as my absolute favorite MCU films (Infinity War, Winter Soldier, etc) but it's right there with the second-favorites (Black Panther, Iron Man, etc). I'm perfectly satisfied with the movie and I expect the sequels to be far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think its unfair to compare it.
    Exactly. But people are going to (and are) anyway.

~ Black Panther.

I've seen the movie three times already. Clearly, I liked it.

Honestly? I know it wasn't perfect. In truth, pretty much all of my criticism boils down to me wanting more. I think it could have been a better movie if it were a longer movie. There's a few points I just wish we had spent a little more time with. I'd have liked a slightly bigger glimpse into her family life growing up, I'd like a little more time with the Air Force... and I think I would want a little more of her joy at realizing she could fly.

I'm just thrilled that Endgame is only a month and a half away, so I don't have to wait too long for more Carol. (And I know I'm going to get frustrated with Endgame because I'm going to want it to be the Carol Danvers show, but it's going to have to make some room for all of those other Avengers. Tsk.)

Astonishing Member

Just seen it

Had some nice moments but generally I found it just okay

Not one I'd see again, like Dr strange and panther for me in that regard

Seems like it's doing well though

Mighty Member

Been thinking about Carol's film debut since I saw it Friday night. And I can definitely see where the criticisms are coming from. It is very much the Marvel formula, for better or worse.

But I had a lot of fun. Loved Brie Larson, she finally solved the Carol puzzle for me. Brought some fun and some joy to the proceedings. Fury was great. Goose was a scene stealer. And I loved Talos and the skrulls.

I really enjoyed the reverse-Superman plot. Human goes to alien world, gets awesome powers at the cost of her history and humanity. But then finally reclaims both and becomes the mightiest of Earth's heroes.

It has flaws. Not enough time with Carol's backstory, for one. But a great intro to the character. And delightful visually. Really well done on that front.