Page 58 of 134 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Personally I'm not exactly rushing to go to watch the movie. From the few objective review i got , seem a good superhero movie with just a few flaws, but is ok, No movie is perfect, masterpiece come close and even then they got some(I hate barry lyndon pacing to say something, but is awesome on all the rest). Just I dont'0 feel like doing 20km to got to the cinema if i'm not 100% sure of what i'm goign to see. I've not enough time to waste only sunday afternoon and little bit of evening for me. I've to pack alot inside the time bracket. As i said i'll go...eventually.(but th whole a cat scratched off the eye of nick fury is probably the lowest, most stupid, inane joke they coudl get...It woudl have been another thignt hat he had lost it to save the cat or somethign similar...but a cat scratch? Really?)

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    Aaaacutally there was some issue on how Doctor Strange and Iron Man orign are similar and many said that he was unneeded to MU, even today the "Doctor Strang eis just iron Man repainted" is still common amongst certain clickbait sites.
    And let's not talk about the Ancient One gender switch and the hornet nest it cracked at the time. Yeah all this mess with review couter review, videos and what lese had already happened and will happen for sure in future.
    I still don’t get how “Strange is Iron Man repainted”

The only thing similar about them is they start off their movies egoistical rich white guys

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post

The only thing similar about them is they start off their movies egoistical rich white guys
    I think you answered your own question there. Heh. I don't think those claiming that were making a very deep analysis.

Well...some of the Dr. Strange updates around the time of the movie didn't help.

Extraordinary Member

Remember, most moviegoers are encountering these characters for the first time, so what in the comics is a very vague similarity in Tony and Stephen's origin stories, can seem like a huge similarity in the movies, and even more so because Downey's Tony Stark is kind of the model for a lot of these wisecracking arrogant guys.

The writers of Infinity War actually said that their model for the Stark/Strange team-up was the team of Frasier and Niles Crane on Frasier, where you have two characters whose personalities are very similar and get comedy from how similar they are.

Yeah me neither, these odd memetic theaories are absurd

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    spoilers:
    I think one potential solution here is for the writers to get a little bit more creative with how they use Wanda. They're both very powerful and potentially very destructive - but Carol's version of powerfully destructive is pretty direct and pretty physical. Wanda can do a lot of things Carol can't, but we haven't seen the writers utilize any of that in while. (For example: we did see her getting into people's heads in AoU.) So if they can return a bit to Wanda's ability to play with reality or people's perceptions of reality... rather than just relying on her as a glass canon, there's all kinds of potential to see her do great things while Carol's off smashing and blasting things.)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Oh, for sure. There are infinite number of things they could do to give Wanda a decent part while still making Carol the bigger star. (Just having them meet after everyone comes back would be enough for me.) My fear is not that they can't co-exist in feature films but that they won't, because Wanda's main role in Infinity War was basically just "woman who got her powers from an infinity stone and whose eyes sometimes glow," and I don't trust Hollywood writers to think of women characters beyond what their powers are and where they got them.

Anyway none of that has anything to do with how good/not good a character Carol is, I'm just trying to explain why I worry about what the writers will do with her. I guess something comparable would be that fans of more obscure Marvel properties are probably (rightly) worried that the X-Men and Fantastic Four will make it harder for those obscure properties to become movies. It doesn't mean the X-Men and Fantastic Four are bad!
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Loved Captain Marvel thought it was a great film. Kinda sad her kree mother thing wasnt used but the film was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The movie was pretty good but I honestly thought the recent change to Carol's origin was gonna tie in with the movie but they just used a variation of the Psyche Magnetron origin.
    Thinking the comics writers/editors jumped the gun on this after hearing they were going to do something like that in the film. That obviously didn't last in the world of constant rewrites that constitutes an ongoing film script though and now we're stuck with this chosen one meme in the comic pages (well, at least until the next reboot...).
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

spoilers:
    I was a little surprised they gave a sympathetic take on the Skrulls. The revelation they were the victims was shocking.

But the big reveal was the Tessaract was in existence in 1990, before Cap was found in the Cap movie in the 2000’s. So Mar-Vell, the Kree scientists found the Tessaract not Howard Stark, and if Howard did find it, she stole it. What I want to know now is, why is this revealed in the Larson movie? Is this important for the second Avengers Infinity movie? And how is Carol Danvers important here for Avengers Infinity? She can’t confront Thanos, and she can’t reverse time. Only Dr Strange can reverse time, if he had the Time Gem, but he doesn’t.

There was a lot of Guardians reference here with Ronan, the Flarken, the wing spacecraft, the warp jumps, the Kree. For all Carols time out in space, it weird she never showed up in the Guardians movies.

It’s nice having Carol introduced into the MCU, and she looks like a cross between Wonder Woman and Supergirl. But I would have liked a back story for Carol from childhood to adulthood, instead of the flashbacks being so sketchy.

I think they could make a sequel to fill in all the blanks I feel are missing. That we never see her mother, and Carol is connected to Mar-Vell how? I still want Carol to have Kree blood, (so one parent had to be Kree), because how does she survive the explosion of that warp generator? She should have been killed if she was all human. Also, some brother history with Billy and the other brother.

Overall, it was a fine enough movie and wet the appetite for some more. We see where Fury got the idea to call the team “Avengers” from Carols name on her plane. But we only see 3 Infinity gems from the MCU movies before Avengers Infinity. Where are the other two gems? That’s something that could be addressed.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Had to sit through 25 minutes of preview. i didn't go in until starting time-- so probably missed an addtional 5 minutes or so of commercials? What a huge waste of my time!

Someone above asked if I would pay to see it again. No. I'm glad that i went to a matinee (reduced cost).

It was okay.

I will guess that the general audience will judge this film less harshly than we comic book veterans. The story plays very fast and loose with comic book history -- I guess in an attempt to make Danvers' evolution to hero not dependent on any male contributions. This is the part of the film that really irked me.

Another problem I had was the Skrulls -- especially Telo with his Australian accent. Aside from his appearance, everything else is so typically human. It just didn't work for me.

Larson is adequate. Her girl next door looks will probably win over a younger female audience. I would have preferred someone like Charlize Theron -- who has a commanding presence that I feel the role required. Coulson was unnecessary, but the younger version of Nick Fury did add some character dimension to the movie.

Jude Law was very interesting -- and had a great presence in his scenes. I'm not too familiar with Yon Rogg, but I don't think Law's version is evil. His role probably is close to that of comic book Mar-Vell's. The film purposely veered away from any romantic entanglements that the character had -- and replaced Carol's comic book pals (mostly males) with females. Felt a bit too forced to me.

The credits call out Kelly Sue Deconnick and David Lopez (I think that's his name) as being instrumental to the film, but I feel it owed more to Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum -- since her powers are clearly based on Danvers' time as Binary. Again, though, the general public will not be aware.

There has been much talk about the scene-stealing cat. I won't say too much about - but it does have some of the best moments in the film.

As the credits rolled, I still didn't comprehend why the film was set 20+ years in the past. I know what Marvel/Disney was trying to do, but it just felt so heavy-handed.

This is no Wonder Woman. It's fine as a female-led super hero story, but that's about it.
    Mellisa McCarthy is who I would have cast as Carol, was the first person that came to my mind. That’s who I see as Carol Danvers. Charlice Theron was too confident and aggressive and commanding. I think Larson hit it well with how she played Carol was unsure of herself, but I would have liked McCarthy’s bull-at-the-gate attitude when confronting men. McCarthy is my hero as a forceful woman. And I don’t care about McCarthys body type. I think she would have made it as an Air Force pilot on her character alone.

And I was curious why Marvel didn’t recognise Stan Lee for including Carol Danvers in Mar-vell’s arc in Marvel Super Heroes, or Gerry Conway for Ms Marvels origin story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Welcome to the Corps!

If you want to get into familiar material, you need to read Kelly Sue DeConnick's first volume of Captain Marvel. She did a second volume as well but I dont think its essential reading. You might also want to look at Stohl's "Life of Captain Marvel" which was a five issue mini and is already collected in trades. I didnt read it but I hear it was decent.

And Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel run is definitely a must-read too. Carol's not in the blue-red costume or using "Captain" but a lot of the character groundwork KSD covers in her first arc is setup by Reed.

If you can find it, the original Ms. Marvel series from the 70's might be worth looking at too. Some of the ideas the movie plays with originates with that run.

A new series just got started as well, but my LCS screwed up and I haven't read a single issue of it yet.
    The Carol Corps in Secret Wars was great too.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    spoilers:

But the big reveal was the Tessaract was in existence in 1990, before Cap was found in the Cap movie in the 2000’s. So Mar-Vell, the Kree scientists found the Tessaract not Howard Stark, and if Howard did find it, she stole it.
    end of spoilers
    The amoutn of supposed comic nerds who keep messing this up is insane

spoilers:

Odins vault, Norway, Red Skull, Ocean, Howard Stark/SHIELD, Project Pegasus, Goose, Fury/SHIELD, Loki, Asgard, Loki, Thanos

That is the order. Howard Stark found the Cube at the end of Captain America: TFA. It wasn't even a post credit scene! It was a part of the movie! the stone wasn't found with Cap it was found before.

Obviously, it somehow got in possession of Mar-vell/Project Pegasus. It wasn't spelled out how. Maybe stolen. Maybe given to work on the light speed drive. It was a government/military thing obviously. Not like Mar-Vel was doing this off the books

there was no retconning. They just added in extra steps in the middle. SHIELD still had the tesseract twice.
    end of spoilers
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

GUH.

https://screenrant.com/tesseract-cap...ine-plot-hole/

WHY the TESSERACT in Captain Marvel DOESN'T BREAK THE MCU TIMELINE.

spoilers:
    One of the things that stems from the post-movie scene is Carol will be aware half the people she was with have died from the Great Annihilation across the universe, so Carol asks, “Where is Nick Fury?”. If they tell Carol Fury died too, is Carol able to bring Fury back from this? Carol comes into Endgame knowing of the Annihilation and that she is lucky to be alive. Carol’s not a Dr Manhattan that can just materialise again after being destroyed.
    end of spoilers