Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Reserving judgement on interiors since I’m not familiar with that teams work and the previews have been just meh.
    Can anyone recommend other works by Carmen Carnero as warmup for viewing the forthcoming work in the Carol Corp?
    Digging the Post-Apocalyptic redesigns for Carol and Co however!
    Carmen Carnero did issues 6-8 of X-Men Red.

Incredible Member

I had posted it last year, but the 30th of december!
    It's a french cover for an X-Men magazine by Jean Frisano, it's the beginning of Paul Smith on Uncanny and Binary blasts Broods by dozens!
    LesetrangeXMen8_10052002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    I had posted it last year, but the 30th of december!
    It's a french cover for an X-Men magazine by Jean Frisano, it's the beginning of Paul Smith on Uncanny and Binary blasts Broods by dozens!
    LesetrangeXMen8_10052002.jpg
    Interesting that on this one is really visible that the red on her body is part of the suit rather than her skin.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Interesting that on this one is really visible that the red on her body is part of the suit rather than her skin.
    Wait, the red part of the Binary look was never supposed to be her own skin? OMG, my whole life has been a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Wait, the red part of the Binary look was never supposed to be her own skin? OMG, my whole life has been a lie.
    Maybe it was supposed to be at first(it looks like that for me on the first issue), but later it was shown that it wasn't.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Maybe it was supposed to be at first(it looks like that for me on the first issue), but later it was shown that it wasn't.

Right. I had actually seen those panels before, but I for some reason completely deleted them from my mind. I guess the image of her burning head got so stuck in my mind I forgot there were moments like these. I think some artists didn't get the memo, though, because some of them clearly portrayed it as her skin and not fabric, like in here:

The design looks so much better when you see it as red and not just big holes, IMO.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-05-2019 at 01:16 AM.

I guess she didn't get seen much powered down back then, if one comic shows her looking normal and another shows her with red skin and no hair!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Right. I had actually seen those panels before, but I for some reason completely deleted them from my mind. I guess the image of her burning head got so stuck in my mind I forgot there were moments like these. I think some artists didn't get the memo, though, because some of them clearly portrayed it as her skin and not fabric, like in here:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/005fa66f...o8_r1_1280.png
    The design looks so much better when you see it as red and not just big holes, IMO.
    To be fair it was nearly a decade between the introduction of the Binary identity for Carol (1985) and the Operation:Galactic Storm (1992)events where the bald and naked (instead of red fabric) panel comes from.

Going back to the original issues: Uncanny #164 was artist/designer Dave Cockrum's last issue on the title so theres not much I can dig up (without the issue in front of me) to show what his intentions were with the costume. He certainly didn't shy away from showing skin in use of similar designs with Storm, Saturn Girl from Legion etc

...but immediately thereafter "powered down" Carol is shown wearing red and Cockrum would have certainly have been available in the Marvel Bullpen to consult and even then his designs were revered so I tend to think either:
    1) Cockrum intended it to be red fabric
    2) Editorial stepped in and asked that it NOT be a revealing costume
    3)"Seeing" Carol's human face is a conscious choice on her part and she "powers down" that part of her body to show it. Similar to Human Torch de-flaming his hands when he carried someone back in the day. (unlikely since the flaming edges of her costume also disappear when she dims her corona.

Replying to my own reply, apologies. Found a digital version of the Cockrum issue. Looks like indeed, he DID intend it to be a flesh not fabric, lest there was a coloring error!

BANNED

bruuh I got so much headcanon to flesh out and evolve powers including her binary ones

so many years were unnecessarily lost with the Binary years and the exile that went along with that.

Maybe someone will tackle those lost years someday. I wouldn't be against Carol's title occasionally giving us a one-off story about her time as Binary.

Starman used to do a yearly one-off where Jack Knight would visit with his dead brother's ghost. Aaron right now is doing one-off issues exploring the Avengers BC in between arcs. Something like that with Carol would be great.

If it were me, it'd be Carol telling Kit a bedtime story about her old adventures in space (anyone else still remember Kit?) and the entire issue would be drawn like a kid's bedtime story and written as if Carol were telling it, with Kit interrupting and asking random questions constantly.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Maybe someone will tackle those lost years someday. I wouldn't be against Carol's title occasionally giving us a one-off story about her time as Binary.

Starman used to do a yearly one-off where Jack Knight would visit with his dead brother's ghost. Aaron right now is doing one-off issues exploring the Avengers BC in between arcs. Something like that with Carol would be great.

If it were me, it'd be Carol telling Kit a bedtime story about her old adventures in space (anyone else still remember Kit?) and the entire issue would be drawn like a kid's bedtime story and written as if Carol were telling it, with Kit interrupting and asking random questions constantly.
    This. I’ve been yearning for it since Carol’s reintroduction during Operation: Galactic Storm.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas for What Ifs starring Carol?

I'd be interested in "What If Marcus never made contact with Carol?"
    What if Carol and Mar-Vell got married and had kids?

What if Carol had won Civil War 2?

What if Carol was anti-mutant? (because of Rogue and Mystique)

What if Carol became Ms./Captain America instead of Ms./Captain Marvel?

What if Binary fought the Phoenix?

3)"Seeing" Carol's human face is a conscious choice on her part and she "powers down" that part of her body to show it. Similar to Human Torch de-flaming his hands when he carried someone back in the day. (unlikely since the flaming edges of her costume also disappear when she dims her corona.
    I thought about that too, but I think you can clearly see on that page that this isn't the case. Look how her head its colored as just a plain red, while the body(suit) has this sort of metallic effect with the black shadows, they don't match at all. On the first issue where this costume showed up, this wasn't the case, as the body and head had the same coloring, but on this one(and some others), it definetely looks like they intentionally colored the head differently, as to show it's not the same as her body, and so when she shows up with her normal face and hair in the next page but fully covered, it doesn't look odd.

Replying to my own reply, apologies. Found a digital version of the Cockrum issue. Looks like indeed, he DID intend it to be a flesh not fabric, lest there was a coloring error!

I think it was his intention for it to be her skin but then editorial changed to a suit so that it wouldn't be too sexualized, kinda like how they covered her belly on the original Ms Marvel costume later.