Page 33 of 134 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Man, it's going to get harder and harder to avoid spoilers from this point on. This movie needs to come out already

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    spoilers:
    'Vers powers are driven by a battery? Is she a Kree warrior or the Energizer Bunny?
    end of spoilers

Doesn't those new spoilers confirm the other ones as fake?

spoilers:
    I feel like there might be a plot twist where her real origin is actually closer to the new retconned one from the comics(that the comics would have borrowed from the movie instead of the other way around). Or at least that's what I'm hoping for.
    end of spoilers

Hmmm...

I'm guessing spoilers:
    her battery gets damaged so she spends a lot of the movie force to conserve her energy
    end of spoilers

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Could be a twist there. They think it's one thing when its actually the opposite or something else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Could be a twist there. They think it's one thing when its actually the opposite or something else entirely.
    Ding Ding Ding.......we have a winner!
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Carol is the Unreliable Narrator early on. She doesn't know who she is/was so any claims she makes are dubious, and it's doubtful anything the Kree are telling her is true either.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

Guys come here and click on ''want to see'' and leave a positive comment because you know, misogynists are already attacking the movie.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonHoran View Post
    Guys come here and click on ''want to see'' and leave a positive comment because you know, misogynists are already attacking the movie.
    Christ. And we're not even into the Trump Re-Election Campaign yet.

For what it's worth, it looks like the opening weekend estimate keeps getting adjusted, and every adjustment is further upwards.

Incredible Member

This is going to get very ugly soon!
    This hate campaign is the convergence point for a lot of different groups, Alt-Right incels anti-"SJW" crowd, DC fans who felt robbed when Shazam gave up the Captain Marvel moniker, anti Disney crowd, etc.
    For some of those people it is now their crusade to make this movie fail.
    One thing I note is, I'm french and when I watch the comments for the french trailer on Youtube they're quite good while the american trailer comments are horrible!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    This hate campaign is the convergence point for a lot of different groups, Alt-Right incels anti-"SJW" crowd, DC fans who felt robbed when Shazam gave up the Captain Marvel moniker, anti Disney crowd, etc.
    One thing I note is, I'm french and when I watch the comments for the french trailer on Youtube they're quite good while the american trailer comments are horrible!
    This movie doing well past opening weekend will shut people up.

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    I don't think there's much history of those campaigns being effective, however. So, they can scream, cry and badmouth the movie all they want... it probably won't matter. The Last Jedi saw a similar campaign. The end result? The movie had the 5th biggest opening of all time and was the most profitable movie of 2017.

In some cases, it's even served as a signal boost. I think Mad Max: Fury Road serves as a good example. People were crying that it was, "Too Feminist" - so a lot of female-targeted news sources started picking up on that chatter. The end result is people who didn't even have the Mad Max franchise on their radar previously were taking notice and going to see it.

I think these kind of campaigns only work in the echo chamber. Nobody outside of it really listens.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I think these kind of campaigns only work in the echo chamber. Nobody outside of it really listens.
    This.

I think the only time in recent memory stuff like this has worked was Justice League.....and after their other DCEU movies, no one needed a reason to pass on that film.

Marvel's got the best track record in Hollywood history and the kind of brand recognition/trust company's have wet dreams about. This film will be fine. Hell, Panther got heat like this too, as I recall, and we all know how beautifully that T'Challa did.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.