Page 51 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    That is one of better aspect of the character, How many female characters are that? Superman is designed the same exact way
    I completely disagree. I don't like this aspect in any character as you keep having to set the threat bar ever higher. I feel this is why Superman is so boring in comparison to characters like Spider-Man or even Batman (well, more his animated versions).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Without getting too deeply into the question of whether she's overpowered, I think it was definitely a problem in Justice League that Superman was portrayed as basically more useful than all the other characters put together. But I also think the MCU in general is a little too big on huge power feats to make the audience cheer and not enough on creative uses of power to deal with a threat (which can happen no matter how OP a character is). This is one area where comics have it over the movies, because comics explain superpowers more and give a better sense of how characters are using them.

spoilers:
    (As for whether I think Carol is too OP... I will probably have to table even thinking of that until we know what the Scarlet Witch's role is in Endgame if at all. Because of the similar origins of their powers I really was left with the feeling that Carol is going to make her irrelevant, but it's not fair to the moviemakers for me to play one character off against another in my mind like that.

And anyway it's quite possible that the Avengers team will find ways to humanize Carol more, just as they gave us a better Doctor Strange than his debut movie, which had some similar issues.)
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Without getting too deeply into the question of whether she's overpowered, I think it was definitely a problem in Justice League that Superman was portrayed as basically more useful than all the other characters put together. But I also think the MCU in general is a little too big on huge power feats to make the audience cheer and not enough on creative uses of power to deal with a threat (which can happen no matter how OP a character is). This is one area where comics have it over the movies, because comics explain superpowers more and give a better sense of how characters are using them.

spoilers:
    (As for whether I think Carol is too OP... I will probably have to table even thinking of that until we know what the Scarlet Witch's role is in Endgame if at all. Because of the similar origins of their powers I really was left with the feeling that Carol is going to make her irrelevant, but it's not fair to the moviemakers for me to play one character off against another in my mind like that.

And anyway it's quite possible that the Avengers team will find ways to humanize Carol more, just as they gave us a better Doctor Strange than his debut movie, which had some similar issues.)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Not sure why you put Scarlet Witch and Carol on the same lwvel but their powers are nothing alike...from what I've seen Carol is overall more powerful. Though Wanda is a hell of a lot more interesting.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 03-08-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    I was thinking of the aspect that their powers are linked to an Infinity Stone, and this will probably be important in Avengers: Endgame. I sort of felt like if Carol wasn't in the film then Wanda might have been left un-snapped and played a similar role, but like I said, these worries are not fair to this movie.

I don't really trust the way movies portray a lot of female characters one-dimensionally. Carol is no threat to Wanda or any other character if they see the characters as more than "brooding heroine powered by an Infinity Stone" but I'm not sure they do. We'll see.
    end of spoilers

I am just going keep it simple, I have no problem with a female power fantasy character. Once a character realistic has weakness or could be challenged I have never said weaken Superman or Thor, Hulk or Flash. Captain Marvel is clearly meant to be upper echelon power character in the MCU. She is supposed to be the big gun Kevin Fergie, Brie Larson, and other actors and Producers have been saying this over and over. She is Marvel most powerful hero.

spoilers:
    And fact that her powers come from infinity stone, It makes sense her power level. We will see moving forward if they can present threats that can challenge her or she has a realistic exploitable weakness, But if you had no problem with Thor being a big powerhouse Or Superman crazy powerful. You shouldn't have a problem with being that strong
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Remember that animatic for a pitched Captain Marvel cartoon that canceled? Well, this goes into more detail about it:

They hooked me into the idea of a Captain Marvel Animated series just with the "how am I gonna explain surviving this line"

BANNED

Speaking power tiers I'm having fun looking at a lot of the battle threads popping up with MCU Carol. Sadly won't be able to watch it till Wednesday though

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I completely disagree. I don't like this aspect in any character as you keep having to set the threat bar ever higher. I feel this is why Superman is so boring in comparison to characters like Spider-Man or even Batman (well, more his animated versions).
    Characters could challenge you in multiple ways outside power. Superman's biggest enemy is a schemer not a powerhouse. Superman's comic since rebirth has been pretty family oriented and portrays him as a father and husband I don't get how mopey Batman who puts his persona at the forefront in more relatable than that. People like Batman because he's edgy, dark and pop culture.

Astonishing Member

Had to sit through 25 minutes of preview. i didn't go in until starting time-- so probably missed an addtional 5 minutes or so of commercials? What a huge waste of my time!

Someone above asked if I would pay to see it again. No. I'm glad that i went to a matinee (reduced cost).

It was okay.

I will guess that the general audience will judge this film less harshly than we comic book veterans. The story plays very fast and loose with comic book history -- I guess in an attempt to make Danvers' evolution to hero not dependent on any male contributions. This is the part of the film that really irked me.

Another problem I had was the Skrulls -- especially Telo with his Australian accent. Aside from his appearance, everything else is so typically human. It just didn't work for me.

Larson is adequate. Her girl next door looks will probably win over a younger female audience. I would have preferred someone like Charlize Theron -- who has a commanding presence that I feel the role required. Coulson was unnecessary, but the younger version of Nick Fury did add some character dimension to the movie.

Jude Law was very interesting -- and had a great presence in his scenes. I'm not too familiar with Yon Rogg, but I don't think Law's version is evil. His role probably is close to that of comic book Mar-Vell's. The film purposely veered away from any romantic entanglements that the character had -- and replaced Carol's comic book pals (mostly males) with females. Felt a bit too forced to me.

The credits call out Kelly Sue Deconnick and David Lopez (I think that's his name) as being instrumental to the film, but I feel it owed more to Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum -- since her powers are clearly based on Danvers' time as Binary. Again, though, the general public will not be aware.

There has been much talk about the scene-stealing cat. I won't say too much about - but it does have some of the best moments in the film.

As the credits rolled, I still didn't comprehend why the film was set 20+ years in the past. I know what Marvel/Disney was trying to do, but it just felt so heavy-handed.

This is no Wonder Woman. It's fine as a female-led super hero story, but that's about it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    For those that saw it and liked it, would you pay to go see it a second time?

And don't be stingy...bounce over to the Monica Rambeau appreciation thread and share your thoughts on her mother's portrayal in the movie.
    The actress was kinda flat, IMHO. The child playing Monica was much more interesting.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    For those that saw it and liked it, would you pay to go see it a second time?

And don't be stingy...bounce over to the Monica Rambeau appreciation thread and share your thoughts on her mother's portrayal in the movie.
    I liked it a lot. I think a big chunck of the audience went in wanting to hate it for personal reasons, but as I thought the film as a whole is worth watching again. They could've had more alone time with Carol and Maria though.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Had to sit through 25 minutes of preview. i didn't go in until starting time-- so probably missed an addtional 5 minutes or so of commercials? What a huge waste of my time!

Someone above asked if I would pay to see it again. No. I'm glad that i went to a matinee (reduced cost).

It was okay.

I will guess that the general audience will judge this film less harshly than we comic book veterans. The story plays very fast and loose with comic book history -- I guess in an attempt to make Danvers' evolution to hero not dependent on any male contributions. This is the part of the film that really irked me.

Another problem I had was the Skrulls -- especially Telo with his Australian accent. Aside from his appearance, everything else is so typically human. It just didn't work for me.

Larson is adequate. Her girl next door looks will probably win over a younger female audience. I would have preferred someone like Charlize Theron -- who has a commanding presence that I feel the role required. Coulson was unnecessary, but the younger version of Nick Fury did add some character dimension to the movie.

Jude Law was very interesting -- and had a great presence in his scenes. I'm not too familiar with Yon Rogg, but I don't think Law's version is evil. His role probably is close to that of comic book Mar-Vell's. The film purposely veered away from any romantic entanglements that the character had -- and replaced Carol's comic book pals (mostly males) with females. Felt a bit too forced to me.

The credits call out Kelly Sue Deconnick and David Lopez (I think that's his name) as being instrumental to the film, but I feel it owed more to Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum -- since her powers are clearly based on Danvers' time as Binary. Again, though, the general public will not be aware.

There has been much talk about the scene-stealing cat. I won't say too much about - but it does have some of the best moments in the film.

As the credits rolled, I still didn't comprehend why the film was set 20+ years in the past. I know what Marvel/Disney was trying to do, but it just felt so heavy-handed.

This is no Wonder Woman. It's fine as a female-led super hero story, but that's about it.
    I agree with everything said here.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Fantastic Member

I went to see the movie earlier today and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

This was a lot of fun. There were definitely changes from the comics, but I could see where all the changes were coming from and I felt like they understood what those stories were. Overall, I'm glad I saw it.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?