Page 53 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast
    BANNED

lol I like how they continued the queer bait for carol's female relationships in the movie.

CarolxMaria totally lesbian moms raising monica.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Watched the film. Always been a little indifferent when it comes to Carol in the comics. Never disliked her, I always appreciated her presence but nothing more than that.

The film was great.

It feels like it could’ve placed better in Phase 2, but that’s more MCU timeline/pacing as a whole.

She wasn’t over-powered, which I was initially worried about.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    lol I like how they continued the queer bait for carol's female relationships in the movie.

It's fairly easy to read them as a couple that had to hide their relationship to avoid getting booted out of the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post

Let's not go down that rabbit hole. Last thing this movie need is more hate.

I can already see the bullshit certain groups would say about the movie if they thought Carol and Maria were a couple. Though at the sametime F-Them...lol
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 03-10-2019 at 04:30 AM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Let's not go down that rabbit hole. Last thing this movie need is more hate.

I can already see the bullshit certain groups would say about the movie if they thought Carol and Maria were a couple. Though at the sametime F-Them...lol

hate from whom?

oh saw the edit

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post
    Very true. "Cheeseburgers, Assemble!", sounds more like something you'd hear in a burger joint when the staff get really enthusiastic about working there.

"Cheeseburgers, Cheese it!" would be more appropriate I suppose.
    I thought her nickname was Ace in the film. Maybe I was hearing something weird.

Which made the easter egg somewhat groan inducing lol.

Wait... was she even called Captain Marvel once in the film?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

She wasn't called Captain Marvel in the film, no.

spoilers:
    Technically, Captain Marvel in the film was the same one it originally was in the comics - Captain Mar-Vell. A female version of the character, of course, but Dr. Lawson nonetheless.
    end of spoilers
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Sigh, I made a mistake. I read an article on Yahoo about the movie, then decided to read the replies...

While I'm not a big fan of the movie, I was offended by some of the bullsh1t replies.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

One thing I am wondering

Does MCU Carol age still?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Sigh, I made a mistake. I read an article on Yahoo about the movie, then decided to read the replies...

While I'm not a big fan of the movie, I was offended by some of the bullsh1t replies.
    There is too much youtube money to be made going after this film.

All with the same bullet points only difference is the voices are now getting LOL more diverse.

Having had some time to digest the movie (I saw it Wednesday morning) I think I'll stand by my first impression : it's a filler episode and what's really sad about the movie is that it had a lot of potential but failed to realize it.

For me, Brie Larson played such a BADASS female character that her Carol Danvers ended being very flat and uni-dimensional, as if nothing which had happened or was happening to her left a mark on her. And I don't begrudge Brie Larson here - I'm pretty sure that she played her role exactly as the peoples making the movie wanted her to do. But they tried so hard to make a perfect "Strong Independent Woman" (God, I hate to have to use this "catchphrase" to describe Brie's Carol when she had everything to be a very deep and relatable character - but flaws) character that, somehow, Talos and the Skrulls ended with far more character development than the main character !

The craziest thing is that when she dealt with Yon-Rogg the way she did in the movie, with the phrase she said, I 100% agreed with her, and I smiled when she said that. But I never cheered for her, because she never felt like an actual person to me. I think she lacked both her No Man's Land scene and her Bombing of the Belgian Town (I don't remember the name of the town in Wonder Woman), a scene to make her regal and heroic and one to see her down and hurt, and still thriving to do the right thing.

And yet, she had everything -EVERYTHING- to be just as powerful an awe-inspiring. She has a tragic and poignant backstory, she could have had inner frailties or moments of doubt. The moment she met with Maria and Monica should have been such a visceral moment, where Maria could have broken down, happy to see her best friend alive and sad that she wasn't remembered and Carol feeling terrible because she couldn't remember her, even when she felt she should have. And it fell flat, at least for me. The movie director was so preoccupied by depicting to badasses female characters that he or she forgot to develop them.

Compare that to Black Panther -who proved that one could be introduced without a solo movie, like Spiderman. T'Challa failed, he had flaws, and his whole arc was to realize that not only he had to change but his whole country had too. And while he was a King, with super-powers, and crazy tech to boot, from a culture with whom French culture has no ties, as a white dude, I felt taken away by the whole cast and the movie.Something Captain Marveil failed to do.

The movie was obviously not helped by extremely weak villains (Yon-Rogg is not better characterized than Carol, despite what some people who I feel had a bias with the movie even prior its release says. He's just a toxic man and that's about it. The rest of Starforce are even thinner and Ronan's just an over-extended cameo). Which is a shame, because Spiderman - Homecoming and Black Panther had some of the strongest villain of the MCU, proving that solo movies could do just that without the need of several movies to develop them. Hell, even Thanos had only one movie to be developed and it was Infinity War, and he stole the show.

Overall, an average movie, definitively not what I was hoping just before Endgame. In a sense, I'm happy that the movie doesn't seem to be stronger to me, perhaps it'll give Shazam! some space to breath and attract peoples -I hope it will. But I still recommend to go and see it, to have your own opinion. It deserves at least that much.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

I feel like the majority of people went in hating the film based on either their personal agendas or subconsciencely, and they film had to sway their opinions greatly. Like most things, when something has to do with women, the women have to ten times better than a man to be considered decent. If it were a man, I'm sure it wouldn't have to defend itself so much. Mind you 2 of the 4 heroes were men, and so was the cat. It was a normal film with a female lead, but in this day in age, being born with female genitalia is a political. If anything was political it was what we discovered in the third act. At no point did I feel I was being punished for being a man.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

9F6E9C45-6633-43BC-9DE5-AB866FE231B3.jpg
    Now that the numbers are more or less confirmed, feels appropriate to post this

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

I’ve never really cared about Captain Marvel, but I saw the movie yesterday.

Having seen the movie, what would you all consider “essential” reading, because god damn sign me up for the Carol Corps.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Arrow

Nice to see the movie has done so well in its opening weekend. I'm still miffed, however, that they haven't given Carol a Titan Heroes (12 inch) action figure (heck even Dr. Strange and Carnage have ones). On a related note, I found both Spider-Gwen and a new Mr. Freeze (true-moves) figures the other day so that has lessened the blow (somewhat).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."