Page 57 of 134 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yes. Absolutely. Also, good ideas MindofShadow.

This belief that Carol is going to BE ALL and END ALL in the End Game film is absurd and it speaks volumes to how ridiculously DELICATE these people in an uproar really are.
    Just from a narrative standpoint, to follow these heroes for as long as we have -- and to have someone totally new swoop in and "steal the glory" or whatever is just nonsense.

Will she be valuable? Yes. Of course. As will ALL CONTRIBUTORS to the battle. But anyone who genuinely believes Marvel is going to sideline everyone to elevate Carol needs to chill the F out.

That being said: I DO hope she pummels that maniac a little bit.
    I agree. There never any doubt in my mind that this wouldn’t be about EVERYONE, not just Carol.
    I think they might have messed up her marketting by putting her inbetween IW and Endgame, because a lot of casuals may be thinking she’s just going to be overpowered and hand Thanos his ass.

I can see Thanos having to be more aggressive when fighting Carol - sort of how he was when the Titan-Team got the drop on him and he was reactionary.
    I’m sure she’ll get her licks in, as will everyone.

I watched it on saturday with my nephew. We both loved the movie and seems like the whole theather too

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I agree. There never any doubt in my mind that this wouldn’t be about EVERYONE, not just Carol.
    I think they might have messed up her marketting by putting her inbetween IW and Endgame, because a lot of casuals may be thinking she’s just going to be overpowered and hand Thanos his ass.

I can see Thanos having to be more aggressive when fighting Carol - sort of how he was when the Titan-Team got the drop on him and he was reactionary.
    I’m sure she’ll get her licks in, as will everyone.
    I actually thought the placement of the film, sandwiched betwixt War & Game was a pretty clever strategy to entice audiences to attend because they might get clues or insight or any such crumbs of information ABOUT End Game within the Captain Marvel movie -- especially for a brand new addition to the MCU. As a new addition, she was at risk of being passed up by the casual MCU viewer, but with her placement being where it IS -- folks might feel more inclined to give her a chance.

I dunno.
    But I am of the mind, thanks to MindofShadow, that she'll likely be "forced" to divert her attention elsewhere as a single handed uniquely qualified hero to solve some such event/disaster or whatever, while the majority of folk are focusing on Thanos. Maybe.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

If they are gonna spilt the team up (again), I think it's far more likely that her, Thor and/or Hulk will be sent to squabble up with Thanos while the rest of the team is busy doing whatever it is they are gonna do to undo the snap. If they didn't plan to make her a big part of Thanos' defeat, they wouldn't of handled her introduction the way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I actually thought the placement of the film, sandwiched betwixt War & Game was a pretty clever strategy to entice audiences to attend because they might get clues or insight or any such crumbs of information ABOUT End Game within the Captain Marvel movie -- especially for a brand new addition to the MCU. As a new addition, she was at risk of being passed up by the casual MCU viewer, but with her placement being where it IS -- folks might feel more inclined to give her a chance.

I dunno.
    I think maybe it's a bit of a double edged sword. I definitely think placing her between War and Endgame increased the hype, just on the hopes of getting some Endgame spoilers. So it seems smart from that perspective.

But I think it also encouraged undo comparisons that Carol's film was never going to benefit from. I think I mentioned that a few pages back.

So.....more box office money, but maybe more mixed reviews? I could see that being an expectation within the Studio.

Of course, this being Marvel, I doubt they're very worried about mixed reviews. And if Panther taught us anything, some corners were going to complain loudly no matter what, so those mixed reviews were probably inevitable anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I have to say all the incredulity and outrage from certain quarters that thought it couldn't be done is a JOY to watch.
    I was skeptical since the very first trailer reveal. I didn't have any faith in Brie Larson (although I haven't seen many things she's been in), and I'd imagine it would be hard for me to like a super-hero movie if I don't like the main star.

What came to be was a decent job by Brie (I still contend a better casting choice exists), and an overall enjoyable film that I'd rank somewhere above the middle-of-the-pack, which is still a great success to the franchise and Carol's fans (because even middle-of-the-pack in a slew of great movies is still good).

Now, we just need Rogue to show up and power her down a little bit...

Extraordinary Member

I'd say Endgame is a double-edged sword for her, as she will have more opportunities to do big and cool things, but she'll also be interacting with more established characters and the filmmakers will have to be very careful to make sure she isn't seen as trying to replace or overshadow or disrespect their favorite characters.

spoilers:
    (So like I said I have a sinking feeling that the Scarlet Witch's role outside Disney+ will be cut way down now that Carol has arrived with similar powers. If Wanda winds up with very little screen time then I will probably find it harder to warm to Carol, and that's not fair to Carol, but that's just the way it is when you have a lot of characters competing for screen time. If I were a fan of any other character I would probably feel the same way about a new character getting so much exposure in the movie.)
    end of spoilers

Anyway even though I'm sure Disney would have preferred to introduce her in Infinity War if there had been room for her, that's why I think it may have been a good idea for her not to appear until her own movie. The audience gets a chance to meet her without seeing her as a threat to any of their favorite superheroes; she gets to show off her power but without having to argue about whether she's more powerful than Thor. And now she'll at least go into the tougher test of Avengers: Endgame with some audience goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    spoilers:
    (So like I said I have a sinking feeling that the Scarlet Witch's role outside Disney+ will be cut way down now that Carol has arrived with similar powers. If Wanda winds up with very little screen time then I will probably find it harder to warm to Carol, and that's not fair to Carol, but that's just the way it is when you have a lot of characters competing for screen time. If I were a fan of any other character I would probably feel the same way about a new character getting so much exposure in the movie.)
    end of spoilers.
    spoilers:
    I think one potential solution here is for the writers to get a little bit more creative with how they use Wanda. They're both very powerful and potentially very destructive - but Carol's version of powerfully destructive is pretty direct and pretty physical. Wanda can do a lot of things Carol can't, but we haven't seen the writers utilize any of that in while. (For example: we did see her getting into people's heads in AoU.) So if they can return a bit to Wanda's ability to play with reality or people's perceptions of reality... rather than just relying on her as a glass canon, there's all kinds of potential to see her do great things while Carol's off smashing and blasting things.)
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I'd say Endgame is a double-edged sword for her, as she will have more opportunities to do big and cool things, but she'll also be interacting with more established characters and the filmmakers will have to be very careful to make sure she isn't seen as trying to replace or overshadow or disrespect their favorite characters.
    I just don't understand this.

For example, No one went into IW worrying, "omg is Dr. Strange going to overshadow Iron Man!!"

Why is this miraculously a thing now?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

For example, No one went into IW worrying, "omg is Dr. Strange going to overshadow Iron Man!!"

I mean, if this were part 2 of a two part story and they had already ended two movies by strongly hinting that Doctor Strange may be the only person who can save the familiar heroes after they all failed miserably, and we didn't really know yet what the limits of his powers are? Then yes, maybe people would worry.

I've said before, I don't think the filmmakers will be foolish enough to go in that direction, but it's the nature of the way she's being introduced; if they want audiences to think that Carol is the MCU's ace in the hole, then they have to expect that people will be nervous about what this implies with respect to their favorite characters.

I suppose the fact that Feige has been calling Carol the 'most powerful' hero in the MCU could feed into it...

Astonishing Member

LOL to be honest I find it funny that people are being butthurt over her power level. You see this all the time, from Kali from Dragon Ball Super to Wonder Woman until the Justice League movie came out. It's just a sad reality really and I have no sympathy for that madness.

Aaaacutally there was some issue on how Doctor Strange and Iron Man orign are similar and many said that he was unneeded to MU, even today the "Doctor Strang eis just iron Man repainted" is still common amongst certain clickbait sites.
    And let's not talk about the Ancient One gender switch and the hornet nest it cracked at the time. Yeah all this mess with review couter review, videos and what lese had already happened and will happen for sure in future.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I suppose the fact that Feige has been calling Carol the 'most powerful' hero in the MCU could feed into it...
    Yeah....but again that was said about pretty much any powerfull hero in MU at some point. Let's hope work better for her than did for Sentry.
    Is sort fo hype that could be couterproductive.