Page 60 of 134 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast

1) Being surprised by the skrulls. Did not see that coming.
    2) Goose
    3) The fact that there was no romantic plotline.
    4) Goose
    5) "I have nothing to prove to you."
    6) Goose
    7) Annette Bening and all she does
    8) Goose
    9) Brie breaking the 4th wall (kinda) and smiling at Stan Lee.
    10) Goose
    11) Brie starting to grin in the final fight, as she realizes how powerful she is, and finally the "WAHOO!!!!!!" as she starts taking flight
    12) Goose

Mighty Member

Loved the movie. I assume the sequel is going to be Carol vs the Kree Empire.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Loved the movie. I assume the sequel is going to be Carol vs the Kree Empire.
    I was hoping for Moonstone but she might serve better as a 3rd movie side villain then main villain. Way to many heroes have faced characters who are anti-versions of themselves as the main threat in their films.

Here's a good quote from some anon on 4chan (but lily won't like it): "Goose the cat is the same monster the GOTG2 fought during opening scene to save the annulax batteries."
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    How about a little diversion:

Everybody...

Name your top 3 favorite things about the movie!

Go!
    Couple spoiler-y things to follow. Be warned!

Nothing *too* spoiler-y, but still! Read at your own caution!

Ready?

Dont blame me if you're still reading!

#1 Carol screaming back at the Skrull in that one fight scene. Really, I thought Brie carried the confidence and sarcasm I expect from Carol really well, while still being vulnerable. She accomplishes more with a single expression than Downy does in six one-liners. And I think Downy is great as Tony!

#2 The secret way Fury lost his eye and the badass rumor that hid the truth. Puts a whole new light on the Director of SHIELD, doesnt it? Probably the most "human" thing Fury has ever done, keeping that a secret.

#3 The truth behind the Skrulls. I did not see that coming at all! And since the whole point is to show that not all peoples are all just one thing, or one morality, it doesn't stop the Skrulls from having a more traditional role later on.

Bonus: No romance. I'm super glad they didn't even try.

I just wish the movie had been an extra hour longer so we could have gotten more time to explore the different characters and facets of the story. Not nearly enough time spent with Yon-Rogg, Ronan, Carol's family, etc. Each scene was solid, but could've been expanded on.
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-12-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Captain Marvel movie y'all! Here for it!!!!

Had some friends over last night to do a character build session for our impending D&D campaign (any Critical Role fans?) and naturally we started talking Marvel, because duh.
    The reception of CM was unanimously SQUEE!
    And then of course, the inevitable "yeah, but where, when, how" started to trickle.

So. WHERE HAS SHE BEEN? WHY HASN'T SHE COME BACK? WHY DIDN'T FURY PAGE HER???
    Well, the general consensus on the where and why that we landed on is essentially: "Omg wtf, like we're the ONLY PLANET WITH INTELLIGENT LIFE??? How frigging arrogant are WE that we're over here all like "What could possibly have kept her occupied???" Right? I mean, Guardians of the Galaxy was proof that you can get RULL BUSY RULL QUICK out in the nether reaches of space and there is a LOT GOING ON OUT THERE to find yourself preoccupied with, on top of her whole "I gotta help these refugees find a home" mission, ammirite? So even IF Fury DID retcon-stealth-page Carol from his pocket or whatever during all the prior films and their respective disasters, it would be a pretty heavy dick-move of Carol to cut and run on whatever Ultron-Variant insanity may be happening on whatever planet she was in the midst of aiding to avoid breaking her previously established BROtocol with Fury, you know?
    I mean, can you imagine if suddenly Thor was like "Hey gang, you got this right? Asgard just paged" when Sokovia was gearing up to go BOOM?

Anyways, once we did a little self reflection and extended beyond our own bias and personal experience, we came to the conclusion that "Yes. Earth matters. But that doesn't mean all the other planets and life forms matter less"
    #AllPlanetsMatter

Then the issue of "Why haven't we seen anyone talk about Carol and this whole insanity that went down in Earth's atmosphere???"
    Welp, on that one we mostly figure SHIELD was very thorough in their efforts to conceal and deflect. Also, it was the 90's y'all. The internet was fresh, social media was nonexistent, and a lot of folks just didn't pay attention to the world around them a lot of the time (circling back to that whole "self reflection, not extending beyond bias and personal experience and/or comfy bubbles)

I loved this movie and if folks think it makes me an apologist for brainstorming answers to questions left unanswered(?) so be it. But I think critical thinking and narrative analysis is fun, and even if we never get definitive answers for the questions audiences may have, this movie was a TERRIFIC adventure and I'll be seeing it again this weekend, in my Captain Marvel t shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I dont honestly get the Wonder Woman hype. I enjoyed both films but plotwise nothing in Wonder Woman was groundbreaking at all. The story is pretty forgetful if your not a comic fan because its pretty much her origin and the twist weren't really anything special if anything I didn't like the Ares twist or God killer thing. Regardless I think both have they're faults and high points.

Captain Marvel had action scenes throughout the film so I dont understand how anyone would fall asleep on top of the humor scenes throughout the movie. Even if I tried to take a nap someone next to me would be laughing like a madman over a Fury or Flerken scene.
    Well said. And I agree. I am by no means discounting the impact Wonder Woman had on people and the joy they felt (I felt it too. I saw it twice in the theater. I own the blu ray and that moment when she calls out the board of generals or whomever for being willing to sacrifice lives from the safety of their cozy desks etc still gives me chills -- grrr those fux) BUT..... Wonder Woman also has many, well, we can say advantages(?) in her favor, from a societal expectation/normalization perspective. Wonder Woman is beautiful for starters (As is Brie, but I'm talking about a different standard for recognizing what people perceive as "beauty") and innocent/naive. That plays into a lot of fantasy narratives for a lot of men (and women) so consider those desirable asset boxes "checked". She is a gorgeous, naive, super model in a tiara, mini skirt, and bustier. She is Victoria Secret and juggles tanks. There is a lot of "ooh sexy" elements that make her "acceptable" in the eyes of casual male viewers. (Forgive me for focusing on the male perspective. I am male. I recognize the controversy male trolls caused. etc etc. Thus, I'm talking about males) So even though Wonder Woman inevitably defies her male peers guiding and tutoring her in the ways of man's world, she defies them in battle lingerie, which makes things more easily digestible for some folks. This also makes her feminist "agenda" less TART because "ooh pretty but Superman is still stronger than her so hmmmf" blah. <eye roll>
    Carol never even spoke (that I recall) about differences between men and women, and these mega trolls are foaming at the mouth in fury(hehe) over her existence, and I cannot help but wonder if her lack of cleavage and bare skin and doe-eyed naivety might factor into that ridiculous unwillingness to entertain her potential worth. She's a military woman (controversial), fully clothed (give us boobies) implied to be more powerful than her male-hero-predecessors (controversial) and not only that but is slated to be a game changer/savior for aforementioned "failure" male-heroes (Hey! Men always win!). Whether that last detail actually comes to fruition is TBD but.... naturally some fragile egos out there just cannot hang with the notion. Rough existence. wump wump.

I loved Wonder Woman. I loved Captain Marvel. Comparing them because of their shared "first" and also shared "lady bits" is absurd. They can both exist and compliment their respective universes and the audiences that view them. They are as narratively unique as any other comparative hero vs hero discussion, but rarely does anyone refute one's existence over the other if the subjects being discussed are men. There is room for Superman AND Batman. There is room for Iron Man AND Doctor Strange. There is room for Falcon AND Bucky. There is room for everyone. ROOM. (<--another great Brie Larson film. haha)

Everybody...

Go!
    TOP 3!
    1. I looooooooved the interaction betwixt Carol and the Security Guard(?) post Blockbusting over whether her translator was functioning correctly etc.
    2. The dynamic between Carol and Fury was pitch perfect (and shout out to the moment when Coulson didn't rat them out in the stairwell <3 <3 <3 )
    3. FUN. Carol's adrenaline junkie enthusiasm in the face of danger was palpable and had me fired up.

1. I liked having Monica in it.
    2. I liked how it showed Coulson being Fury's man.
    3. I liked how the Skrulls were not the bad guy. The usual Trope of UGLY=BAD was not prevalent which I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post
    Here's a good quote from some anon on 4chan (but lily won't like it): "Goose the cat is the same monster the GOTG2 fought during opening scene to save the annulax batteries."
    But but but... the monster got better? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    So. WHERE HAS SHE BEEN? WHY HASN'T SHE COME BACK? WHY DIDN'T FURY PAGE HER???
    Also everything Fury does is very calculated. I could definitely see him not paging her because he thought the current team could handle it.. or in the first Avengers, he needed to see IF they could handle it. He couldn't over-rely on Carol as his one-woman fix-it crew. It seems a bit cold, but it also feels very Nick Fury to me.

I feel like Ive waited forever for her movie and now that its here, I found it to be disappointing. Id give it a 6.5, maybe a 7

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Just saw it. I loved it. A lot.

I’m really glad I read her recent comic series before seeing this.

1 last thing.... LT TROUBLE!!!!!
    Last edited by Arsenal; 03-13-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Spectacular Member CaptainMarvell's Avatar

Everybody...

Go!
    1. The Starforce uniforms were awesome! I know what I'm wearing for Halloween this year. As for the team itself, I'd like to see them get their own TV series.
    2. I love the 90s. I enjoyed every 90s reference.
    3. Watching her fly through that Kree Warship, punching down the walls and flying out the other end. Such a Marv thing to do. lol

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Considering that Carol just got full access to her powers and that she'll have 20 or so years to really play around with them, I can buy her being a threat to Thanos by the time we see her in Endgame. I doubt she'll be able to solo him but I can see him really putting in some effort in when it happens.

Spectacular Member CaptainMarvell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    3. I liked how the Skrulls were not the bad guy. The usual Trope of UGLY=BAD was not prevalent which I liked.
    The twist was unexpected, but Skrulls not being bad was the one thing I didn't like. Both Skrull AND Kree should have been bad, with Carol in the middle beating both empires and protecting Earth. The Skrulls being good is like Klingons being cowardly or Romulans always telling the truth.