Page 62 of 134 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I imagine their plans for the sequel, maybe even the threequel, were made before they knew they'd be getting the X-Men rights back anyway. Rogue is not that important to her history that they need to change their plans to fit it in, especially now that they've already done bits and pieces of that story.

I feel like speculation about Rogue showing up is like speculation that MCU Wanda will somehow be Magneto's daughter; the X-Men are much more famous to the general public than Ms. Marvel or The Avengers so everyone kind of defaults to thinking of the X-Men-related stories as the most important.
    I think the Rogue thing would probably make more sense in an Avengers vs. X-Men movie then in a Carol solo film.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the Rogue thing would probably make more sense in an Avengers vs. X-Men movie then in a Carol solo film.
    Id rather it take place in Captain Marvel. Its a big storyline/era for Carol and I think it would take a lot away from her by not being something that takes place in her film. Look at Ragnarok Thor loses his hammer (a poweersource), Hulk costars in it throwing in his Planet Hulk storyline, Strange helps find Odin.

The way I could see it playing out is have Mystique be the villain who coaxes a young Rogue into helping her take down Carol. Carol ends up losing her powers to Rogue. Somehow ends up in space being experimented by the Brood. The Brood Queen ends up on Earth trying to find more people like Carol. Causes a bunch of Havok which leads to Rogue trying to stop it for some reason. Carol ends up in the fight. Fight ends. Carol confronts rogue saying she can't forgive her just yet but she'll help her learn how to use her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Well said. And I agree. I am by no means discounting the impact Wonder Woman had on people and the joy they felt (I felt it too. I saw it twice in the theater. I own the blu ray and that moment when she calls out the board of generals or whomever for being willing to sacrifice lives from the safety of their cozy desks etc still gives me chills -- grrr those fux) BUT..... Wonder Woman also has many, well, we can say advantages(?) in her favor, from a societal expectation/normalization perspective. Wonder Woman is beautiful for starters (As is Brie, but I'm talking about a different standard for recognizing what people perceive as "beauty") and innocent/naive. That plays into a lot of fantasy narratives for a lot of men (and women) so consider those desirable asset boxes "checked". She is a gorgeous, naive, super model in a tiara, mini skirt, and bustier. She is Victoria Secret and juggles tanks. There is a lot of "ooh sexy" elements that make her "acceptable" in the eyes of casual male viewers. (Forgive me for focusing on the male perspective. I am male. I recognize the controversy male trolls caused. etc etc. Thus, I'm talking about males) So even though Wonder Woman inevitably defies her male peers guiding and tutoring her in the ways of man's world, she defies them in battle lingerie, which makes things more easily digestible for some folks. This also makes her feminist "agenda" less TART because "ooh pretty but Superman is still stronger than her so hmmmf" blah. <eye roll>
    Carol never even spoke (that I recall) about differences between men and women, and these mega trolls are foaming at the mouth in fury(hehe) over her existence, and I cannot help but wonder if her lack of cleavage and bare skin and doe-eyed naivety might factor into that ridiculous unwillingness to entertain her potential worth. She's a military woman (controversial), fully clothed (give us boobies) implied to be more powerful than her male-hero-predecessors (controversial) and not only that but is slated to be a game changer/savior for aforementioned "failure" male-heroes (Hey! Men always win!). Whether that last detail actually comes to fruition is TBD but.... naturally some fragile egos out there just cannot hang with the notion. Rough existence. wump wump.

I loved Wonder Woman. I loved Captain Marvel. Comparing them because of their shared "first" and also shared "lady bits" is absurd. They can both exist and compliment their respective universes and the audiences that view them. They are as narratively unique as any other comparative hero vs hero discussion, but rarely does anyone refute one's existence over the other if the subjects being discussed are men. There is room for Superman AND Batman. There is room for Iron Man AND Doctor Strange. There is room for Falcon AND Bucky. There is room for everyone. ROOM. (<--another great Brie Larson film. haha)
    I think Brie is really beautiful, but I also not a man. Victoria models women are meh to me.
    I think many of those trolls were mad that she wasn't using the bathing suit and they didn't casted a super hot babe. Then Larson said about getting more diverse press for the movie, then trolls automatically said it was about banning white male men from seeing the movie HAHA
    Wonder Woman seemed much less threatening

I liked Wonder Woman, but it was ok for me. At end of the movie everyone just left indiferent, with Captain marvel everyone clapped with excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    or maybe Fury has tried to call before and Carol wasnt able to answer. Alot happened in that near 20 year gap and she was clearly preoccupied with her own war and battles. For all we know she was imprisoned during those events.
    Or it could be that. Who knows? Like you say, there's a lot of years unaccounted for here.

Has anyone asked why Fury called her when he did? Everyone seems to assume it's because things were so dire, but I dont think that works.

Looking at it from Fury's perspective...just what he might reasonably know....what's happened? And we'll pretend that he's never called Carol before this, because otherwise the whole thought experiment is pointless.

1) A couple alien ships arrived in NYC and Scotland, fight some heroes, and both seemingly take off shortly thereafter. It wouldn't be strange to think that the heroes won and drove the aliens away. It's happened before and the aliens didn't return.

2) Stark goes missing, which has happened before (IM-3) but if he's dead then it's a blow to earth's defenses but probably not a fatal one. There's other heroes out there, and if Stark was among the best of them, well, heroes have died on Fury's watch before and everyone has soldiered on and finished the job. Stark's not *that* vital to humanity's survival that Fury would call Carol in just to cover Tony's shift.

3) Now, if Fury still has access to the Department of Justice (he likely does) he probably knows that Vision gets hurt and Steve, Nat, Sam, and Wanda return Stateside, and leave Avengers HQ with Rhodes (Banner seems to have been kept a secret from Ross, for obvious reasons, so Fury might not know about that).

4) At that point, you know something serious went down but despite Vision being hurt and Tony being MIA, the aliens are gone. If Fury believed they'd return, why not call Carol then? If the Avengers are assembling, earth's best is already on the job and they've met every challenge thus far. The audience knows that the Black Order wasn't finished, but Fury doesn't seem to.

5) Now, whether the world at large knows what happened in Wakanda is a matter of politics. Wakanda was protected from spy satellites in the past, so the question is if T'Challa turned them off when he "outed" Wakanda to the world.

6) Fury and Hill are still in the States and they're not sure what's happening. There's confusion; something is going on but Fury's lack of resources means he's not sure what, or how big it is. And then---

7) Random people start turning to dust. There's no reason to believe this is related to the alien arrival other than the timing, and no way to know that this was happening on a global scale instead of a localized one. The timing is obviously suspect, but it wouldn't be the first time a lot of sh*t has hit the fan from different directions all at once (Fury's big week).

So yeah, things look grim. Aliens stopped by for a minute and heroes got hurt. People are turning to dust and that's maybe connected to the aliens but maybe also something unrelated. But as far as Fury knows (and his intel seems thin), this doesn't seem much worse than the Battle of New York, and that never got beyond a single borough. If he didn't call Carol for the Chitauri, Ultron, or the dark elves, why call now? The audience knows that things are far more serious than ever before, but does Fury know that? Given his confusion about events, no?

I think what made Fury call Carol wasn't the imminent threat, but the fact that Fury himself was disintegrating. We know he compartmentalizes everything and all trace of the Kree-Skrull conflict in the 90's was buried. So he's dying and if Fury doesn't call Carol now, no one ever will. Maybe everything happening is worth calling Carol in and maybe it's not, but he's got to get her home so people know she exists and can be called on for when she *is* needed. Its not the end of the world that makes Fury call her, its the end of Fury himself.
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-13-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Plus of course, Carol would answer the page because people are disintegrating wherever she is and there might be some connection between that and Fury's message.

I know people are worried about Carol being the deus ex who could have solved all the other problems if Fury had called her, but I suspect it's misdirection.

(Or even if it isn't, the answer to "why didn't they call Carol?" is the same as the question of why they didn't call any other super hero who isn't in a movie: If we don't ask the question while we're in the theatre, it doesn't matter.)
    Last edited by gurkle; 03-13-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Plus of course, Carol would answer the page because people are disintegrating wherever she is and there might be some connection between that and Fury's message.
    Yeah, assuming Fury's never called before, the timing here is beyond suspect and obviously connected.

I know people are worried about Carol being the deus ex who could have solved all the other problems if Fury had called her, but I suspect it's misdirection.
    The only real difference Carol would've made in War is blowing Vision's mind stone to hell long before Wanda could bring herself to do it. We've seen what she can do now and she's not at "solo Thanos and all his armies, generals, and the Infinity gauntlet all at once" levels.

Granted, that would've prevented the Snap and saved half the universe, so its not like her contribution would be minor.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think what made Fury call Carol wasn't the imminent threat, but the fact that Fury himself was disintegrating. We know he compartmentalizes everything and all trace of the Kree-Skrull conflict in the 90's was buried. So he's dying and if Fury doesn't call Carol now, no one ever will. Maybe everything happening is worth calling Carol in and maybe it's not, but he's got to get her home so people know she exists and can be called on for when she *is* needed. Its not the end of the world that makes Fury call her, its the end of Fury himself.
    I am in awe. Who knows if that's true or not, but I love that idea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Id rather it take place in Captain Marvel. Its a big storyline/era for Carol and I think it would take a lot away from her by not being something that takes place in her film. Look at Ragnarok Thor loses his hammer (a poweersource), Hulk costars in it throwing in his Planet Hulk storyline, Strange helps find Odin.

The way I could see it playing out is have Mystique be the villain who coaxes a young Rogue into helping her take down Carol. Carol ends up losing her powers to Rogue. Somehow ends up in space being experimented by the Brood. The Brood Queen ends up on Earth trying to find more people like Carol. Causes a bunch of Havok which leads to Rogue trying to stop it for some reason. Carol ends up in the fight. Fight ends. Carol confronts rogue saying she can't forgive her just yet but she'll help her learn how to use her powers.
    Rogue makes no sense to movie version of Captain Marvel. She already has her Binary powers -- there is just no need to go down that road.

The only reason Carol lost her powers in the comics was because she was in limbo (figuratively and literally). Had Ms. Marvel not been cancelled, and if she hadn't been written out of Avengers -- she wouldn't have lost her powers. The films are never going to dive as deep as the comics. Captain America was a hero for years and a member of the Invaders -- but that aspect was lost in Captain America the First Avenger. If these were TV series instead of films -- we'd get more depth, but Rogue in a Captain Marvel film -- just don't see it.

I don't think Carol will be a deux ex machina -- I think Thanos defeat was probably already in motion before she got the call. This is more likely, they way to bring her into Avengers. But I can't wait to see how they explain her being away for 20 years and not returning until now. It better be good, because I think Marvel was daft for introducing her in such an ass backwards way.
    Last edited by kcekada; 03-14-2019 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I am in awe. Who knows if that's true or not, but I love that idea.
    Straight up CHILLS yo. Cuts me deep.

...Carol looks so good on the Endgame trailer that just came out.

Aaaaah FIERCE.

No blinking. No diverting the gaze.

SO SAVAGE. I love it.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    ...Carol looks so good on the Endgame trailer that just came out.
    I wonder why they spoilers:
    didn't put her in her costume like they did Spider-Man. I suppose everyone knows who she is by now. She must be borrowing Natasha's clothes unless she came with a
    end of spoilers duffle bag of Terran jeans.
    Last edited by Force de Phenix; 03-14-2019 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I wonder why they spoilers:
    didn't put her in her costume like they did Spider-Man. I suppose everyone knows who she is by now. She must be borrowing Natasha's clothes unless she came with a
    end of spoilers duffle bag of Terran jeans.
    spoilers:
    Her shirt does seem like one Natasha is wearing on a shot before. I kinda thought "Lol why are they dressing the same" but I guess your theory explains it.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    spoilers:
    Her shirt does seem like one Natasha is wearing on a shot before. I kinda thought "Lol why are they dressing the same" but I guess your theory explains it.
    end of spoilers
    Now it is explained. Loved Thor reaction to her

Maybe that's what she wears under the suit.