Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    The Captain Marvel boycott really worked. The movie is:
    - $11 million away from $1.1 billion
    - $400M domestic, $12 million away from Wonder Woman
    - 25th highest grossing movie of all time
    - 7th highest grossing Marvel movie
    - 2019's highest grossing film, domestic & World Wide
    It was never going to work. Between Brie Larson embracing the role, the momentum it built up for Avengers Endgame, and the overall quality of the movie, any effort to boycott it just never stood a chance. And if Carol continues shining in Avengers Endgame, any efforts to boycott the sequel will fail as well.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

And now for my Carol-centric Endgame thoughts:

spoilers:

I told myself going in that we would not see that much of her, that this was the O6's story. Nevertheless, I was obviously still wishing for more. I think just one added scene would have satisfied me - she was never really introduced. I'd have liked to have see some sort of introduction rather than her merely being present... like an extended version of the Captain Marvel stinger. (In my head canon, I'm assuming that scene played out... and then she was given the task of going to rescue Tony, as nobody seemed too surprised to see her bring him back.) Or, something at the end indicating what her future with the team would be. (I did kind of like that they had her standing near Fury at the end.)

But for the positives...

They've designed her to be so incredibly powerful. I loved her barreling into his house. I love that single-handedly tearing apart battlecruisers seems to be her MO now. I loved that Thanos head-butted her and she didn't even budge. (And to Thanos's credit, literally punching her in the face with the power stone was a pretty clever move.) And A-Force!

Of course, the biggest thing out of the movie will be...

... we can now have the MCU version of the great hair debate!
    end of spoilers

BANNED

spoilers:

they're gonna change her hair again in the comics aren't they?
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    The first thing I thought when I saw the hair is that "The Life of Captain Marvel" went to all that trouble to make her hair look like it did in the movie trailers and then the movies go right back to the short hair.

Anyway it would have been nice to see Carol have more time, but like Lilyinblue said, it's the original 6's film and all the other heroes are just special guest stars.

The people who seriously believed she was going to fly in and put all the other heroes to shame would be feeling pretty silly right now, except that they've probably already moved on to complaining about the next thing that won't actually happen.
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

spoilers:
    Carol is barely in the movie, which was disappointing.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Yeah she didn't get much screen time but she did get some important moments - specifically the spectacular entrance into the big finale when the ship turned it's big guns on the approaching missile. Because of her OP nature in the MCU it's going to end up like a Superman situation - they'll have to throw her into space every time (to remove her from the board) so the other characters can get their big moments alone with the villains now.

BP and Spidey were more hard done by really - they just got a few moments carrying the stone glove macguffin for a few scenes.
    end of spoilers
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Ultimate Member

spoilers:
    It's also that they really didn't let her interact much with the others when she was there. There very few interesting/cool character beats there either.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post
    spoilers:
    Yeah she didn't get much screen time but she did get some important moments - specifically the spectacular entrance into the big finale when the ship turned it's big guns on the approaching missile. Because of her OP nature in the MCU it's going to end up like a Superman situation - they'll have to throw her into space every time (to remove her from the board) so the other characters can get their big moments alone with the villains now.

BP and Spidey were more hard done by really - they just got a few moments carrying the stone glove macguffin for a few scenes.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Or at least they need to get clever with the writing. Not every problem can be solved with sheer force - and sheer force is how she's OP. I don't think her power, for example, would have been THAT gamechanging in the various time capers. Those were more about being clever than about punching hard. (But still... her not even blinking at Thanos's headbutt was fantastic.)

And at least on the gauntlet runs, someone in another thread somewhere pointed out that the gauntlet was sort of a symbolic passing of the torch - as the three people who participated in the grand gauntlet relay were Spidey, Black Panther, and Carol.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    spoilers:
    It's also that they really didn't let her interact much with the others when she was there. There very few interesting/cool character beats there either.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah... I think that's the part that was missing the most. She didn't feel very integrated.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I just got back from the theater.

hm they didn't do much with her tbh.

she shows up in the first 10 minutes for 4 minutes of screen time and then disappears until the last battle and being Deus Ex Machina.

BUT she was pretty badass and I hope they do much more with her.
    end of spoilers

Fantastic Member

spoilers:
    I think it would have been nice to see Carol interact with Fury a little bit maybe just small scene after Tony's funeral or something.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    the short haircut looks amazing on her in the movie. The suit she wore at the funeral was top notch. She looked hot as hell.

Her moments were short, but they worked and they had impact.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Speaking of Fury, unless I missed something (I often do), I don't think they ever did explain why Fury called her at the end of Infinity War but not all those other times.
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

spoilers:
    Lack of screentime and cool character interactions disappointment aside, I DID like how powerful they made her look here. She tore through Thanos's ship like tissue paper, and Thanos couldn't do anything physically to hurt her. Him headbutting her and her not even flinching and him actually looking nervous for a moment was such a cool moment. And he literally had to rip the Power Stone out and hit her with that to finally do anything to her at all.

It actually makes me wonder who IS a physical threat to her at this point?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    spoilers:
    Lack of screentime and cool character interactions disappointment aside, I DID like how powerful they made her look here. She tore through Thanos's ship like tissue paper, and Thanos couldn't do anything physically to hurt her. Him headbutting her and her not even flinching and him actually looking nervous for a moment was such a cool moment. And he literally had to rip the Power Stone out and hit her with that to finally do anything to her at all.

It actually makes me wonder who IS a physical threat to her at this point?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    In likelihood it means either fighting cosmic powers on her level (like a minion of a Celestial), or fighting an enemy who fights on a different axis (like how The Leader fights against the Hulk).
    end of spoilers