Page 84 of 134 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1998
    Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=PsychoEFrost;4330971]
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

I think you're confusing the complaints of one group with the complaints of a different one. There were people complaning about Thor's weakness compared to the comics, but others understood that some characters need to get toned down to work in the MCU. There are certainly some sexist retaliation comments against Captain Marvel, but the power level complaint is a separate one.
    Totally, the power thing is an aside really imo

Complaints that carol is powerful is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Totally, the power thing is an aside really imo

Complaints that carol is powerful is ridiculous
    I don't think most are _actually_ complaining, personally I think it could be cool to have a female character being the strongest one for once.

Just depends on how they will execute it going forward. Exiling her to space most of time only to show up for a few action scenes would not be ideal. spoilers:
    Not complaining that this happened in Endgame, as the original Avengers deserved a good send-off.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by myownlittleusername; 04-30-2019 at 01:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    I don't think most are _actually_ complaining, personally I think it could be cool to have a female character being the strongest one for once.

Just depends on how they will execute it going forward. Exiling her to space most of time only to show up for a few action scenes would not be ideal. spoilers:
    Not complaining that this happened in Endgame, as the original Avengers deserved a good send-off.
    end of spoilers
    I think you make a good point

For me the irritating thing is not how powerful she is supposed to be, or that she might be most powerful, it is rather other like Thor and witch were for much time less powerful than their comic versions to have some balance but they have reversed that process for carol's character

It is only irksome in that I would have liked more Thor and Wanda showing s like in infinity war as standard, which seems to be their intent with carol

solid supporting appearance in the movie. I think her solo sequel will be her next appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The way they positioned her in this film, the Avengers are kinda beneath her. She is way too powerful for them and is off in space bc she is dealing with far more challenging threats. Watching this film, I can see why she wasnt a member. How would she be used in the time heist? The final battle scene that we got in Endgame isnt what we are always going to see in the Avengers films
    Eh, the power levels of the Avengers have always been unbalanced. Thor and Hulk (and Witch and Vision) on one end, Hawkeye and Widow on the other. Yet the films always find a way to ensure everyone has something to do. Carol's no different. The time heist is a perfect example of why power levels don't matter. All Carol's raw power, and what does that do for her in a time heist? Nothing.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, the power levels of the Avengers have always been unbalanced. Thor and Hulk (and Witch and Vision) on one end, Hawkeye and Widow on the other. Yet the films always find a way to ensure everyone has something to do. Carol's no different. The time heist is a perfect example of why power levels don't matter. All Carol's raw power, and what does that do for her in a time heist? Nothing.
    Thor was pretty underpowered for most of the films (save IW when he got a new weapon) and his levels were comparable to Iron Man. Hulk is super strong but lacks the energy blasts and flight that make Carol an even bigger threat. Vision wasnt really uber powerful and Wanda didnt become until IW. Carol blows all of them out of the water though. For her to be a regular member, I see them giving her a power downgrade much like they did Thor. Yes there's always been an imbalance but now its not even close.

Carol had a superiority complex in this film and she did look down on the squabbles on Earth like it was beneath her. She's out in the universe fighting wars and making best use of her powers. The time heist would have been a waste of her time bc like you said, her raw power would have added nothing. Her raw power however is helping countless lives elsewhere. Ultimately she wasnt needed. Other than people wanting to see her interact more with the group, what could she have added that wasnt already covered in that mission?

I actually like that Carol acknowledged that things are bad in other parts of the universe as well, and that this didn't just happen to Earth. Her job as Captain Marvel is to look after more than just Earth. It's the same with Thor. I remember him leaving Avengers for long periods of time to deal with Asgard or things going on in other realms. Earth is ground zero for most heroes and they can handle things usually pretty well. So I'm ok with Carol or Thor needing to go elsewhere for a bit. They always come back anyway. :P
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Thor was pretty underpowered for most of the films (save IW when he got a new weapon) and his levels were comparable to Iron Man. Hulk is super strong but lacks the energy blasts and flight that make Carol an even bigger threat. Vision wasnt really uber powerful and Wanda didnt become until IW. Carol blows all of them out of the water though. For her to be a regular member, I see them giving her a power downgrade much like they did Thor. Yes there's always been an imbalance but now its not even close.

Carol had a superiority complex in this film and she did look down on the squabbles on Earth like it was beneath her. She's out in the universe fighting wars and making best use of her powers. The time heist would have been a waste of her time bc like you said, her raw power would have added nothing. Her raw power however is helping countless lives elsewhere. Ultimately she wasnt needed. Other than people wanting to see her interact more with the group, what could she have added that wasnt already covered in that mission?
    I agree she wasn't needed on the time heist. I'm fine with her not being there. I think all I really wanted was more interaction between her and the team to see how the personalities mesh, etc. An extra scene in the first act probably would have done it for me - maybe just extending out the Captain Marvel stinger a bit, just to see how she was actually introduced to and started working with them.

(Though I also don't know if I'd agree with the characterization that she saw earth's struggles as beneath her. As she put it, earth had help all along - there's a lot of places that don't. She's just spread too thin and can't justify spending a lot of time helping a planet that has the Avengers as opposed to a planet with no equivalent. There's a difference between, "I'm too good for this," and "I'm just needed more elsewhere.")

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I agree she wasn't needed on the time heist. I'm fine with her not being there. I think all I really wanted was more interaction between her and the team to see how the personalities mesh, etc. An extra scene in the first act probably would have done it for me - maybe just extending out the Captain Marvel stinger a bit, just to see how she was actually introduced to and started working with them.

(Though I also don't know if I'd agree with the characterization that she saw earth's struggles as beneath her. As she put it, earth had help all along - there's a lot of places that don't. She's just spread too thin and can't justify spending a lot of time helping a planet that has the Avengers as opposed to a planet with no equivalent. There's a difference between, "I'm too good for this," and "I'm just needed more elsewhere.")
    You are right but I did find her attitude a bit off putting. An extra scene would definitely have helped flesh her out in terms of those interactions and given more context to what she is doing with her time

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I actually like that Carol acknowledged that things are bad in other parts of the universe as well, and that this didn't just happen to Earth. Her job as Captain Marvel is to look after more than just Earth. It's the same with Thor. I remember him leaving Avengers for long periods of time to deal with Asgard or things going on in other realms. Earth is ground zero for most heroes and they can handle things usually pretty well. So I'm ok with Carol or Thor needing to go elsewhere for a bit. They always come back anyway. :P
    Totally, these kind being off elsewhere is cool

Astonishing Member

You are right but I did find her attitude a bit off putting. An extra scene would definitely have helped flesh her out in terms of those interactions and given more context to what she is doing with her time
    Yeah, she came across a bit cocky to me, which is ok, but she didn't have any scene with any counter charm like stark has had often

Granted she hasn't had the same airtime to do so, but I think they need to make sure they do it

Yeah, she's more powerful than the others. It's not a big deal. Powers were already unbalanced, this is just more of the same. The narrative process doesn't really change; they had to find ways to challenge everyone before, either physically, emotionally, or mentally. They already had to find stuff for everyone to do in a group fight. Usually it just plays like this; "big guns fight big bad, someone goes on a skill-oriented/specific mission, everyone else fights minions." If you wanna be super lazy, you just add more stuff. More minions to blow up, a mini-boss (like a star ship), etc.

They might lower her power levels going forward. They might just keep her as the "break glass in case of fire" emergency contact. She might be the Avengers ambassador to space, and be off-world but still involved with the team. But really, after watching Thanos throw moons at people and everything that happened in Endgame.....I dont think Marvel is going to struggle with finding stuff for Carol to do. Even if she does it in the same movie as Hawkeye.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Yeah, she came across a bit cocky to me, which is ok, but she didn't have any scene with any counter charm like stark has had often

Granted she hasn't had the same airtime to do so, but I think they need to make sure they do it
    The reason for her seeming a little arrogant and off is that IW and Endgame were filmed before Captain Marvel was. So Brie Larson was getting information about her character without actually getting to really be the character.

Carol's at her best when faced with a problem she just can't punch her way out of immediately. That's what Marvel is going to give her and I can't wait.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, she's more powerful than the others. It's not a big deal. Powers were already unbalanced, this is just more of the same. The narrative process doesn't really change; they had to find ways to challenge everyone before, either physically, emotionally, or mentally. They already had to find stuff for everyone to do in a group fight. Usually it just plays like this; "big guns fight big bad, someone goes on a skill-oriented/specific mission, everyone else fights minions." If you wanna be super lazy, you just add more stuff. More minions to blow up, a mini-boss (like a star ship), etc.

They might lower her power levels going forward. They might just keep her as the "break glass in case of fire" emergency contact. She might be the Avengers ambassador to space, and be off-world but still involved with the team. But really, after watching Thanos throw moons at people and everything that happened in Endgame.....I dont think Marvel is going to struggle with finding stuff for Carol to do. Even if she does it in the same movie as Hawkeye.
    I agree She is the "Big Gun" now. Before it was Thor or Hulk. People like to think it is balanced but where was Thor and Hulk during Civil War? They were removed from the board because you had no hope of an interesting fight even with them on both on other sides. Carol is just going to slide into the Thor spot. Beside the Avengers I think and I am just guessing are going to slide from being kooky quartet style Avengers to more of a Justice League style of Avengers. I mean Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Dr Strange, Scarlet Witch, War Machine,etc the future will definitely need bigger threats and bigger stories.

People are over playing the balance thing angle.I mean in the battle of New York what was Captain America, Hawkeye and Widow doing? No disrespect to them the scenario doesn't change all that much without them there in the big picture of things.The balance has always been horrible. Luckily Superheroing isn't all about fighting bad guys.