Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    It really is. I'm hoping we get some sort of conversation between Jess and Steve about coming back after someone has done horrible things wearing your face.
    That would be great, actually. Thanks for the reminder of that particular thing Steve and Jess have in common. Hell, both of those events even have "Secret" in the title.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That would be great, actually. Thanks for the reminder of that particular thing Steve and Jess have in common. Hell, both of those events even have "Secret" in the title.
    That's what I'm saying. If anyone knows what Steve is sort of going through right now, it's Jessica Drew.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I just looked in this thread on a lark. Spider Woman, Jessica, is a favorite character of mine. I've read her since her first appearance in the Two In One issues and collected all of her first edition. I loved her in the New Avengers after ADissembled. I love her cool relationship with Carol (back then, it slightly reminded me of Carol and Wanda's friendship, before Avengers Annual # 100).

But in her solo second series I kinda lost track. For one I didn't like the new costume and I didn't like the baby idea. I bailed and I still have no idea of where that plot is these days.

but this sounds pretty interesting. For one, I also like most of the potential characters for D/Liberty, especially Sue Storm. Sue is a pretty good friend and respect by/respects Cap, a lot, so I see that being good, but also Sue has recently been portrayed as being an occasional Agent of ShIELD herself. With her connections to Panther and his family, as well as some of the other characters, I hope they play up all of these types of connections and at least give us a great story arc, or even a mini series down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I just looked in this thread on a lark. Spider Woman, Jessica, is a favorite character of mine. I've read her since her first appearance in the Two In One issues . . .
    But not her very first appearance in Marvel Spotlight?
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    From that original first appearance in Marvel Spotlight #32 (February 1977):

So I picked up the Powers of A Girl book by Lorraine Cink - and I was REALLY pleased with Jessica's entry. It was really well written and didn't hide how rough Jess' road has been. I appreciate that.

The book is geared towards teens/young adults, but Lorraine knows her characters and the entries are all pretty awesome. And honestly, the artwork is so gorgeous it's worth picking up for that alone.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

It's not perfect though. For some reason Janet van Dyne is a footnote and not a proper entry, and it seems to be affected by the now-expired ban on using the Fox movie properties (X-Men/FF) in licensed material.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Good points. I was pretty bummed by the lack of Janet in particular. Also Crystal.

And while Sue was also missed, I admit I didn't mind the X-Men not being in the book. They would take up their own book anyway and half the ladies that made the cut here never would have made it if the x ladies had been included. I'd rather read about other Marvel heroes than the X-Men anyway.

But Jessica's was spot on and for that I am happy.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

So I finally read the initial Spider-Woman stories (specifically the ones predating her solo series and Spider-Woman #1). I have to say that Marv Wolfman's writing hasn't been spectacular so far. The character has some interesting moments, but she's not a hero and, for the most part, wasn't even a full protagonist. I will say that the initial retcon might be one of the fastest retcons in comic history. The new story (which is pretty much what we have now) is such a lovely hodgepodge of ideas that I can't help but love it, but I also thought the original story of her actually being a spider had such a bizarreness that works well for the otherworldy character we have now.

I'm hoping, as her solo series progresses, we'll get a more human side to Jessica Drew as well.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I haven't read the whole thing, mainly because a lot of it's not on unlimited and I don't want to pirate it. That said, from what I hear, your complaints are pretty much the biggest complaints throughout her entire run. That and she keeps getting new writers every like 7 issues. All in all apparently Claremont and Nocenti wrote her best, but sadly, Nocenti ended the run on a depressing note. But Claremont brought Jess back later in Avengers 242.

As for the more human side - I know thats a big part of her run where she meets Lindsay. And then apparently the arc with Skein (Gypsy Moth) is pretty interesting as well.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Yeah, I'm just reading the first volume of the Essential Collection for now, which is Archie Goodwin for the first issue, Marv Wolfman through #8, Marc Gruenwald through #20, and Michael Fleisher (who I don't know at all) through #25. The downside of the Essential Collection is it's all in black and white, but it wasn't too badly priced all things considered.

They definitely haven't gotten her a supporting cast yet. Nor have they figured out what they want to do with the character. I did love that the first couple issues have a clear London setting that made her stand out. There's even references to Captain Britain (which I would expect more from after Claremont takes over, but we'll see). But the setting might be why we've gotten so much Arthurian stuff already with Morgan La Fey and a weird Merlin story.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Has a connection (continuity or meta)ever been given between Jessica Drew and Jillian Woods Aka Shadowoman aka Sepulchre?
    The costume similarity in costumes is ripe for some sort of story...

Jessica was featured quite prominently in Wolverine's early 80s stuff, some of his most important stories took place then, like his Madripoor stuff which she had an involvement in, anyone know what she's doing now, if writers still acknowledge her ties to Madripoor or even Wolverine?

I don't ever see the two interact anymore, matter of fact i don't see her do much period these days.

any news on cross-media adaptations? cartoons? video games?

I don't see Jessica's friendship with wolverine or any of the X-Men for that matter, acknowledged. She's currently in the books for Captains Marvel and America, but no where else. Bummed shes not in War for the Realms. She'd be great for one of the tie ins.

Jess was in Avengers Academy, but that game just shut down. She may be in Avengers Ultimate Alliance on the Switch maybe? She hasn't been announced for it, but she was in the other two versions so I hope she's in this one. The fact that she is not in Marvel Future Fight is a crime.

There's rumors circulating that she's coming to the MCU, bit her part in far From Home was written out, so I'm not sure where these new rumors are coming from.