Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

She’s a spider based character who has spider powers. Poses that accent her flexibility and acrobatic ability aren’t exactly strange. It seems like a bit of a double standard that if Spider-Man shows off acrobatic poses, it’s fine but if Spider-Woman does the same then it’s just for the male gaze.

Just compare Silk and Ghost Spider art to classic costume Jess art and you can see the difference.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    She’s a spider based character who has spider powers. Poses that accent her flexibility and acrobatic ability aren’t exactly strange. It seems like a bit of a double standard that if Spider-Man shows off acrobatic poses, it’s fine but if Spider-Woman does the same then it’s just for the male gaze.
    The Problem with many of Jessica's acrobatic poses (especially when Bendis brought her back) is that there's a lot of her cleavage or ass in your face. Athletic poses can be done without that. Snoop Dog also makes a valid point.

I'm beating a dead horse here and not going to make anyone change their mind, but that's my stance. Jessica's classic costume is amazing with the right artist - but sadly, that is far and few between. Her new one was a incredibly welcome change of pace for me.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

To change the topic slightly, I'm curious what the interior art for this book will look like. Sorrentino's art is interesting, but he tends to go for a gritty and grounded look. Jess's costume on the cover isn't the most dynamic of looks there.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I thought Sorrento was on the covers and German Peralta on the interiors? I'm not familiar with either artist myself.

Looks like German Peralta was the artist on Avengers: Standoff. If that's the case, I'm definitely looking forward to it.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Just compare Silk and Ghost Spider art to classic costume Jess art and you can see the difference.
    Even in Silk’s case, the accent to her body depends entirely on artists and she has probably the most simple costume design of the three especially when she has identical powers to Spider-Man. End of the day, it comes down to the artist being at fault, not the costume.

But as Seren said, I don’t feel like beating the dead horse further and will just agree to disagree. While I’m not really a fan of the new costume, I would be open to the both coexisting with her wearing either depending on what type of superheroics she’s doing.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 06-13-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I thought Sorrento was on the covers and German Peralta on the interiors? I'm not familiar with either artist myself.

Looks like German Peralta was the artist on Avengers: Standoff. If that's the case, I'm definitely looking forward to it.
    Peralta is also currently on Age of X-Man: Prisoner X. He's really great with faces and action scenes so this book is sure to be pretty.

Oh yeah - this is going to be a pretty book and with Tini writing - definitely looking forward to it.

Amazing Member

Matt's a dumpster fire but he'll call Jess on her bullshit and vice versa. Also, Jess has been to those mental dark places Matt can get too. I think they have more in common than you think.

I feel like Roger ....just kinda does whatever Jessica wants him to do? I dunno.
    I'm not s fan of Jess being with Roger. However, I still stand by my theory that Jess Drew and Matt Murdock would be amazing together.
    agree with you here, don't like the rogers jess pairing either

never thought bout matt and jess that much but you make a good point on how it could work, would be cool to see, definitely more interesting than the bore than is porcupine~

nice to see Jess back in action in proper book/team, also with her classic design that I do like more than her new one... though honestly either costume is fine in the end, don't mind seeing either.
    Last edited by voidox; 06-13-2019 at 11:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Sorrentino is the artist on the cover, which is the only thing we've seen so far. He did the more recent Old Man Logan story as well as parts of Secret Empire (if anything was interestingly designed but difficult to follow, it was likely Sorrentino).

I have read Standoff, but I didn't know it was Peralta. I'm sure I'll have no complaints.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Invincible Member

The old costume itself was not the problem it was the way certain artists drew it. Keep in mind, the biggest controversies were over images by guys like Finch and Land who have danced on that line of oversexualization. And the biggest was the Manera image, Manera has a decades long career of drawing softcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Sorrentino is the artist on the cover, which is the only thing we've seen so far. He did the more recent Old Man Logan story as well as parts of Secret Empire (if anything was interestingly designed but difficult to follow, it was likely Sorrentino).

I have read Standoff, but I didn't know it was Peralta. I'm sure I'll have no complaints.
    Sorrentino was on OML when Lemire was writing. He left when Brisson took over.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post

Personally I’m glad that Sorrentino is just doing the covers. Never really been a fan of his work. It always looks too rough and scratchy for my taste.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The old costume itself was not the problem it was the way certain artists drew it. Keep in mind, the biggest controversies were over images by guys like Finch and Land who have danced on that line of oversexualization. And the biggest was the Manera image, Manera has a decades long career of drawing softcore.
    There are definitely more deliberate offenders, but even Carmine Infantino's depiction of Spider-Woman was critiqued similarly back in the day in some corners. It's definitely a fine line that's easily crossed. The truth of the matter is drawing a woman with curves in dynamic motion with THAT costume is going to land many artists in trouble. The simple solution is to change the costume color where all of the red and yellow areas are pitch black with zero light tolerance. The other more realistic solution is to take away Jessica's curves and change her costume to anything that isn't form fitting. In short, SpongeBob SquarePants her. Don't leave it to artists to make the judgment call.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    they better show Roger; even if it's just him and Gerry waving bye.
    You and me might be in the minority on that one. I like Roger...but would like to see him evolve into something more. Get some low lever super strength that would put him on the same level as Jess in power.