Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

And isn't Spider-Woman II also a mother? I think it makes more sense for a hero to have had children before they became superheroes. But having them after the fact, not really. The Fanstastic Four are different, because they've always been a family. Jessica-- I don't want to see her tired down to a baby.

Extraordinary Member

So what...just schwack Gerry to get rid of him because you don't like that Jess has a kid?

Well, you guys are in for some disappointment because Gerry is going to be around in Strikeforce AND he's been seen in Captain Marvel and the recent Marvel Presents #8. The kid isn't going anywhere.

I love seeing Jess a mom myself. And having a kid hasn't tied her down at all. She has her own makeshift family that helps with him. I don't understand the problem.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I love seeing Jess a mom myself. And having a kid hasn't tied her down at all. She has her own makeshift family that helps with him. I don't understand the problem.
    The problem is that

1. The kid adds nothing to the main character. It exits as a characterization shortcut for the writer. You can make the main character feel anything you want, just use the kid.

2. It exists to get threatened or kidnapped. This is bad enough when the heroes grown friends are used as leverage.

3. Everything is a one way street. Worry about the kid. Talk to the kid. Care for the kid. The kid is incapable of giving anything in return. And it will always have to be that way because.....

4. It ages her. If the kid grows up the hero has to retire. Plus it makes her look even older in comparison to all the other Spider-folk.

5. The next writer is stuck with Gerry and can't remove him as easily as other supporting characters. It's a no win scenario. You can't kill off the character because the fans will scream bloody murder. You can't just ignore it because then the main character looks like a bad parent. You can always speed up the ageing process but then you are faced with the decision of having a full grown or teen version of the character and takes up even more of the comic's limited space.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    So what...just schwack Gerry to get rid of him because you don't like that Jess has a kid?
    No. That would be Marvel's job. Unfortunately that wouldn't be as easy as going back to an old uniform. Which is why you should really think carefully before a massive change like that is made to a character.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Bear in mind, baby Gerry is actually the 616 counterpart to MC2's teenage Spider-Man. And he was born around the same time that Cassie Lang took her MC2 Stinger identity in 616. Maybe it was part of an abandoned push for that universe's concepts? There was also a Web Warriors book that included Mayday.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I hear you and I'm going to agree to disagree.

Digifiend I think you might be right. I swear I read somewhere that after Secret Wars, every Character had something from an au counterpart carried into 616? I'm probably wrong.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I hated the baby idea. I’ve grown to accept it. The baby anchors her to a definitive background, something she was lacking with her mixed up origins.

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Nevermind.

Anyway, I can't recall what issue that was from Winterboy? Spider-Island Spider-Woman yeah?
    Last edited by Seren; 09-02-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Nevermind.

Anyway, I can't recall what issue that was from Winterboy? Spider-Island Spider-Woman yeah?
    marvel comics.jpg
    it's from an origins one-shot, published a few years ago.

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

More than a few years - it's from 2010.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    More than a few years - it's from 2010.
    Time goes by so fast.
    Thanks, my friend.

The Facsimile edition of Spider-Woman #1 came out yesterday if you didn't pick it up;.

BANNED

hey guys, the jess' marvel wiki says she has a healing factor, because wolverine stabbed her in the shoulder and she walked it off
    does anyone know when this happened?